AnsweredAssumed Answered

FM 13 Server Advanced and SSL Certificates

Question asked by AustexDBGuy on Jul 2, 2014
Latest reply on Aug 13, 2014 by dansmith65

Title

FM 13 Server Advanced and SSL Certificates

Your post

Dear Forum,

I am experimenting with a FM13 development file for a customer to determine whether WebD is adequate for a particular purpose (limited customer access for placing orders).  My file is working fairly well, hosted on my FM 13 Server Advanced machine at http://199.19.84.78/fmi/WebD#SR_Online_DB.  The [Guest] account is on, so no initial login is required to access the file via WebD in a browser.  My server does not have a paid-for SSL certificate (yet) on it.  Access to my remote database using my iMac and Safari (latest versions of everything) works pretty well so far.  My Windows 7 VM with Explorer v11 keeps getting a big red "Communication Error" message across the screen and a smaller "Certificate Error" in the URL bar at top.  

I added my server's IP address to Explorer's "Trusted Sites" but still get the error. The finer points of Explorer "Internet Options" elude me, but I am assuming (hoping?) that if I buy and pay for a certificate from a legitimate supplier and install it on my server, the Windows/Explorer access errors will cease.  

Before spending the money for the certificate, I am hoping someone more knowledgeable than I can tell me that having a valid SSL certificate will, indeed, solve my Windows/Explorer access problem.  Any special insights into having or not-having a certificate on the server and the FM Server console setting to "Require Secure Connections" would be appreciated.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Ed

Outcomes