11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2009 6:27 PM by disabled_PeterBouma

FM Server 10 on Windows Server 2008 HPC Edition

Title

FM Server 10 on Windows Server 2008 HPC Edition

Your post

Hi,

I have some problems with the installation of FileMaker Server 10 on a Windows Server HPC Edition. It's a Server 2008 version that runs in a virtual environment. The client's administrator, not us, told me that there are some known problems with activating the product (Server 2008 HPC), but that does NOT effect the performance of the server.

FM Server 10 installed without a problem and we have been using it for two months now.

But every once in a while, FileMaker Server does not respond anymore: there are no log entries anymore other than the last one saying that one of the bac-up schedules is running. Stopping the Database Server from the Console won't work: I get an error message saying that there was "an error stopping the database server" (uhuh).

Stopping the service FileMaker Server times out and since there are no new log messages and the service is "stopping" for minutes and minutes after that, the only thing that resolved it was a restart.

My questions:

- is FileMaker Server 10 supported on this version of Windows 2008 Server?

- is there anyone who knows a solution to the 'hanging' behavior?

Thanks! 

• 1. Re: FM Server 10 on Windows Server 2008 HPC Edition
          TSGal

Pjotr:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker did not test with Windows Server 2008 HPC Edition.  However, that doesn't mean it doesn't work.  At this time, no problems have been reported.

If the last log entry shows one of the backup schedules was running, can you confirm that the backup completed?

Were any guests still connected to the server?  Are guests still able to access a hosted file?  I'm trying to determine if the Server is truly hung, or just Admin Console.

Any other information you can provide may help me narrow down the possible causes.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: FM Server 10 on Windows Server 2008 HPC Edition

Thanks for your response so far.

Clients were still able to connect and open hosted files.

The last back-up mentioned in the log was completed, although the Admin Console says it's still running. After that back-up no new back-ups were made.

• 3. Re: FM Server 10 on Windows Server 2008 HPC Edition
              philmodjunk

This is a long shot, but it tripped me up just yesterday...

On your schedules view, there's a check box in FMS 10: "Allow enabled schedules to run". Is it checked?

• 4. Re: FM Server 10 on Windows Server 2008 HPC Edition
                   Thanks, yes that checkbox is checked.
                • 5. Re: FM Server 10 on Windows Server 2008 HPC Edition

I got an update on the situation: last Friday I reinstalled FM Server 10 by deinstalling en installing.

I entered the four schedules I had before, pointing to the same folders on the hard drive. Everything seemed to be working fine. Databases were open, people were logged in and schedules were run.

This morning I logged in via remote desktop connection, the session was left open with teh admin console running: the Admin Console gave a connection error. So I opened it again and logged in.

The schedules pane gave me old news: last backup was made yesterday, and one backup was still running according to the admin console.

A peek in Windows Explorer told me that the last backups were indeed from today!

The last entry in the log viewer was also recent.

I wanted to close one database, but that didn't happen. 

Later on I logged in again: situation was unchanged, schedule 1 was still running according to the admin console, the log viewer told me otherwise: schedules were run and the last one was half an hour ago and not yesterday.

Could it be lack of memory? There's 1 GB available for the virtual server, and the task manager says there's about 880 MB in use. I gave FM Server 160 MB memory, FileMaker Pro is also running.

Thanks for any suggestions! 

• 6. Re: FM Server 10 on Windows Server 2008 HPC Edition
                    philmodjunk

Pjotr wrote:

I gave FM Server 160 MB memory, FileMaker Pro is also running.

Does this mean you are running FM server and Filemaker Pro on the same machine? If so, don't. That's probably the cause of your problems right there.

• 7. Re: FM Server 10 on Windows Server 2008 HPC Edition

Thanks for your response. Why wuld running FileMaker Pro on the server be a problem?

We have a so-called robot running that performs maintance on the database and send/receives email.

Do our clients really need a seperate computer for that purpose? 

• 8. Re: FM Server 10 on Windows Server 2008 HPC Edition
                        philmodjunk

I could be wrong on this as my info could be out of date, but that used to be a "best practices" guidline from filemaker pro. I'll defer to their expertise on this one.

• 9. Re: FM Server 10 on Windows Server 2008 HPC Edition
                          TSGal

All:

Yes, that used to be a "best practice", because running FileMaker Pro on the same machine with FileMaker Server did cause crashes in older versions.

The manual (Chapter 1) now says to stop FileMaker Pro before installation of FileMaker Server, and there is nothing that says you shouldn't be doing this, but it is recommended. 

Under the top of "Considering Performance"...

"For best performance, run FileMaker Server on a dedicated machine reserved for use as a database server.  When FileMaker Server is hosting many clients or a large number of datbase files, it uses a high level of processor, hard disk, and network capacity.  Other processor-intensive software or heavy network traffic on the same machine will cause FileMaker Server to run more slowly and degrade the performance of FileMaker Pro on client machines."

The next page....

"To improve performance:

Avoid installing Filemaker Server on a machine that is a user's primary workstation.

Avoid using the machine running FileMaker Server as an email, print, or network file server.

....."

So, the combination of everything may be causing your problem.  You may want to consider testing this out as a dedicated server, and use another machine to do the maintenance and sending emails.  Let us know if the problems continue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 10. Re: FM Server 10 on Windows Server 2008 HPC Edition
                            goodwill221

FileMaker Server 10 supports these operating systems:

Mac:
                            • Mac OS X Server 10.5.4 (Intel and PowerPC)
                            • Mac OS X 10.5.4 (Intel and PowerPC)
                            • Mac OS X Server 10.4.11 (Intel and PowerPC)
                            • Mac OS X 10.4.11 (Intel and PowerPC)
                            Windows:
                            • Windows Vista Business SP1
                            • Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition SP1
                            • Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition SP2
                            • 11. Re: FM Server 10 on Windows Server 2008 HPC Edition

A couple of days ago I reinstalled FileMaker Server, but that did not help. Because the system administrator, not us, restarted the server after it gave serious performance trouble: speed of the databases on the clients was far below normal experience.

But the sys admin also installed (or rather: assigned, since it's a virtual server) extra memory. The server now has 2 Gb available in stead of 1 Gb.

So far so good: I check the server everyday, mainly to see if the backups are running and if the Admin Console and the database server is working properly, and it has been for 4 days now.

I'll report more later on. It all might be a memory problem.

To goodwill221: thanks for quoting the system requirements for FM Server 10.  Windows Server 2008 HPC Edition is based on Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition SP1. Basically it's a special version of it for virtual environments.