11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2011 6:13 PM by BenGraham

FM Server 11 not able to start on Lion

BenGraham

Title

FM Server 11 not able to start on Lion

Your post

FM Server 11 not opening on Lion with this error Exception: CouldNotLoadArgumentException[ Could not load file/URL specified:http://imac.local.:16000/admin_console_webstart.jnlp]
      at com.sun.javaws.Main.launchApp(Main.java:367)
      at com.sun.javaws.Main.continueInSecureThread(Main.java:283)
      at com.sun.javaws.Main$1.run(Main.java:116)
      at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)
      imac.local.

I have installed the latest Java that allows FileMaker Pro Advanced to run.  Have re-installed the Java again and restarted several times.  Also tried the terminal commands: 

sudo launchctl start com.filemaker.fms -  does not work as far as I can tell

And these terminal commands give these errors:

fmsadmin LIST FILES
      192.168.0.100: IP Address is invalid or inaccessible.
      Error: 10502
      bash-3.2$ fmsadmin RESTART ADMINSERVER
      fmsadmin: really restart ADMINSERVER? (y, n) y
      Error: 10007

This is the IP address of the iMac that is running server: 192.168.0.100

Any suggestions how to get FM Server 11 working again?

• 1. Re: FM Server 11 not able to start on Lion
          TSDuck

Hi BenGraham:

Thanks for posting.

What is the processor speed and ram on your machine?

Are you running a version of OS X Lion Server?

What version of FileMaker Server 11 are you using?

What version of Java is currently running?  Navigate to Macintosh HD -> Applications -> Utilities and open Java Preferences.  Under the General tab it should list the exact Java version.

How many network adapters are you using on your machine?

The first step to try is clearing your java cache.  In the Java Preferences window and click on the Network tab to access the cache settings.  On this tab click the Delete Files button, make sure both Applications and Applets and Trace and Log Files are checked, and then click the ok button.  After the cache is cleared, go into the General tab in the Java Preferences.  Make sure Java SE 6 64 bit is the first version listed.  Open a safari browser window and go to address http://localhost:16000 and see if the admin console launches.  Let me know if this helps or not.

TSDuck

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FM Server 11 not able to start on Lion
            BenGraham

Thanks for your reply TSDuck.

In answer to your questions: 

What is the processor speed and ram on your machine? 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 Gb Ram 1067DDR3

Are you running a version of OS X Lion Server? No

What version of FileMaker Server 11 are you using? v.3

What version of Java is currently running?  SE6 64 bit 1.6.0_26-b03-383  and 32 bit below..

How many network adapters are you using on your machine? I don't know

I tried your suggestion and the result is "Safari can't open the page " http://localhost:16000/" because Safari can't connect to servier "localhost"

"http://localhost/Site/Welcome.html" can be accessed as well as "http://192.168.0.100/~bengraham/Site/Welcome.html

Not sure if I should just re-install FMS11, and if so will it just "see" the existinng FileMaker Server folders with databases and backups.  I have not before had the sudo commands not be able to access the starting and stopping of the fms. And when fmsadmin commands are used asking for a password which password is used the fms password or the computer admin that is loged in password?

• 3. Re: FM Server 11 not able to start on Lion
              TSDuck

FileMaker Server Getting Started Guide

BenGraham:

I would suggest trying a reinstall to help resolve your issue.  There could be something corrupted within the FileMaker Server installation causing this error.  Please try these steps in your reinstall of FileMaker Server.

1. Make sure users are logged out of any databases.  Open the activity monitor from Macintosh HD/applications/utilities folder. Filter the list of processes by user.  Select and quit all processes for the user fmserver. 

2. Backup your database files.  These files can be found at the following location.

MacintoshHD/Library/FileMaker Server/Data/Databases/

3. Delete the FileMaker Server folder.  This folder is found at the location below.

MacintoshHD/Library/FileMaker Server/

4. Reboot your machine.

5. Run the install from the FileMaker Server 11v3 installer.

Does the admin console launch after following these steps?  Let me know if any errors come up during this process.

TSDuck

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FM Server 11 not able to start on Lion
                BenGraham

Thanks TSDuck and TSGal!

After install it did not start up FMServer until another restart then it worked.  Now on startup the computer has an additional user that appears can be logged in as called fmserver.   I just logged in as Admin and set up server with settings as I had before.  I am unable to set up websharing though.  This has been ever since I installed FMS 11.  On my router I can open port 80 yet FMS is unable to access.  When I try to open port 443 it says that it is in use by another service?  I will look into this more...

PS- TSGal I must have mixed you up with someone else I thought was using that user name. : )

• 5. Re: FM Server 11 not able to start on Lion
                  DrPhil

I ran into the same problem, but managed to get the websharing online by replacing the /etc/apache2/httpd.conf file then adding in the extra lines I needed (userdir_module wasn't in the load list). Then just needed to move the redirecting file to the new webroot director for Lion Server (/Library/Server/Web/Data/Sites/Default/)

IWP works fine, but I still get the 403 errors when trying to access the Admin Console.

Running FMS Advanced 11.0.3.309 on OSX Server 10.7.1

• 6. Re: FM Server 11 not able to start on Lion
                    TSDuck

BenGraham:

There could be an issue with Apache if you are unable to deploy web publishing. 

What is the exact message that comes up when deploying web publishing?

Do you have any other websites running through Apache?

Resetting Apache to its default settings may help with your deployment issue.  Be aware that resetting Apache will wipe out any websites currently running on your server.  Open up terminal by going to MacintoshHD/Applications/Utilities and opening the terminal app.  In the terminal, run the command listed below.

sudo cp /etc/apache2/original/httpd.conf /etc/apache2/httpd.conf

After Apache is reset, open the admin console and open the deployment wizard.  From here, try deploying the web publishing again.  Let me know if this gets web publishing to work.

TSDuck

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: FM Server 11 not able to start on Lion
                      TSDuck

Hi DrPhil:

Thanks for posting.

Since your issue is with 403 errors in the admin console, it could indicate an issue with either the Java on the machine or some ports being blocked.  Once you replaced the Apache httpd.conf file, did you clear out the Java cache?  If not, go to Java preferences at MacintoshHD/Applications/Utilities to open the Java controls.  In the preferences, enter the network tab and click the Delete Files button.  Delete both applications and applets and trace and log files.  Make sure to launch the admin console in a new web browser window using http://localhost:16000.  

You also want to check whether port 16000 is open on your server.  Go to MacintoshHD/Applications/Utilities and open the network utility.  Click on the Port Scan tab and enter IP 127.0.0.1 into the IP address field.  Scan the port range of 16000 to 16004 and see if these 2 ports are open or not.  If either is blocked, it could cause the 403 errors.

Do you have more then one network card on your server?  If you do, I would suggest disabling one of the network cards, rebooting, and trying the admin console again.

TSDuck

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: FM Server 11 not able to start on Lion
                        DrPhil

TSDuck:

Cheers, had completely forgotten to clear the Java cache.

• 9. Re: FM Server 11 not able to start on Lion
                          BenGraham

TSDuck, You Rock!  It is all green lights on server now! Thanks so much! Laughing

• 10. Re: FM Server 11 not able to start on Lion
                            BenGraham

Well that did not last long. Frown  

Tested IWP all was okay opened a few files, etc.  Then happened to check in System Preferences under Sharing.  Noticed that during the whole 'get FM Server working' process I had turned of Web Sharing.  I clicked this and it tries to start, lights up, then shuts off and leaves it off.  I thought there may be a conflict?  Went back to check if IWP was stil working and it does not access the pages.  Repeated the sudo apache comand, deleted the java files, restarted server and web publishing.  Had to restart computer.  Opened FMS back up shows web server is working, BUT no test files or other files are able to open in browser?

Is there some thing I can clear to have these files accessable again?

Thanks,

Ben

• 11. Re: FM Server 11 not able to start on Lion
                              BenGraham

Self fixed :) 

I dis-Enabled web server deployment, them re-enabled.  This got web server functioning again. Not sure I wish to click web sharing again under sharing.  This was one of the more simple ways that I was getting files onto iPhone & iPad through the personal web sharing.  So if there are any answers relating as to if web sharing can still be used when runnin Lion and FMS Web Server at the same time.  It could be helpful.