5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2009 7:42 AM by TSGal

FM Server 4/FM Pro 4 - Activity Log file

txnoobie_pro4

Title

FM Server 4/FM Pro 4 - Activity Log file

Your post

Last Friday, I had to reboot our FM Server, and since then it has not written anything to the log file which is called "FMSVRLOG.TXT"  How do I turn logging on again?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

T

• 1. Re: FM Server 4/FM Pro 4 - Activity Log file
          TSGal

txnoobie_pro4:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to locate a copy of FileMaker Server 4.  In the more recent versions, you select "Database Server" from the Admin Console and select the Logging tab.  If that isn't available, I would look under the Help menu and search for "log".

Sorry I can't be of more help.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: FM Server 4/FM Pro 4 - Activity Log file
            txnoobie_pro4

Hello TSGal,

I have already read the help info on the log file.  The only helpful info I saw was that the file is created each time you start the service and I have restarted the service several times, but the log file is still not getting updated since 3/20/2009.  Here is the text from the help file:

FileMaker Pro Server creates a log file to help you keep track of its activities. This file contains time-stamped information on:

· FileMaker Pro Server starting up and closing, as well as the size of the database cache
            · database files opened and closed by FileMaker Pro Server
            · guests that connect to and disconnect from FileMaker Pro Server, as well as the files they access
            · any unusual condition that occurs when FileMaker Pro Server is running

The file, called FMSRVLOG.TXT, is created each time you start FileMaker Pro Server. The previous version of the log file is renamed FMSRVLAS.TXT. Use any application capable of opening .TXT files, such as Notepad, to view or print it.
            You can have the log file open when FileMaker Pro Server is running, but you won’t see updates to the log file while it’s open; you must close it and then reopen it to see changes.
            When a log file reaches 1 MB, it is automatically closed and renamed FMSRVEXS.TXT, and a new FMSRVLOG.TXT log file is created. You see messages tracking this in both the renamed (excess) log file and the new log file.

Note When FileMaker Pro Server renames the log file to FMSRVLAS.TXT or FMSRVEXS.TXT, it overwrites any file located in the FMServer folder with the same name. To save these files, either rename them or move them out of the FMServer folder.

The database used to be hosted on the machine where FMServer is running, but since 3/20/2009, the host is jumping to whomever opens the database first.  How do I get it back to the machine running FMServer?  And is that possibly a reason why the log is no longer updated?  Thanks!

• 3. Re: FM Server 4/FM Pro 4 - Activity Log file
              TSGal

txnoobie_pro4:

It appears that the file is not one of the files loaded by FileMaker Server 4.  Be sure to select it as one of the files to open with FileMaker Server 4.  It sounds like someone is double-clicking the file to open it on a server (not where FileMaker Server 4 is running).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: FM Server 4/FM Pro 4 - Activity Log file
                txnoobie_pro4
                   Could you please tell me how I can do that?  I followed the instructions in the FMServer help to use the command line commands to serve/host the default folder, but it did nothing.  And the log is still not updating.  Thanks.
                • 5. Re: FM Server 4/FM Pro 4 - Activity Log file
                  TSGal

txnoobie_pro4:

The earliest documentation for FileMaker Server I can find is FileMaker Server 5.5, so the information I give should be close to what is in FileMaker Server 4.

With FileMaker Pro 5.5, the files need to either be in the same directory as the application, or one level down.  With FileMaker Server 5.5, you are able to administer the server software from a different computer on the network.  From there, you can open the database files you want to host.

That should do it.  If the file is not listed, then find a file that is hosted, and then move that file to the same directory as one of the hosted files.

When the file is finally hosted, you should be able to see the file when you click Open Remote. 

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.