1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 23, 2012 2:35 PM by philmodjunk

FM server to be used for students grades

xingtan_1

Title

FM server to be used for students grades

Your post

Dear Filemaker,

I am new to Filemaker server. We recently purchased filemaker server pro advanced 11. We are going to create a student grade portal whereby students grades are imported into the server and accounts created for every students to view their OWN records. I have created students account name and their related data. How do i create the login in such a way that the student can only view and edit their own records?

Mr Xing.

New to filemaker development.

• 1. Re: FM server to be used for students grades
          philmodjunk

How will the students access the database? from a web browser (which requires FileMaker Server Advanced instead of FileMaker server) or from machines running FileMaker Pro?

If you give each student their own user account name and password, you can limit them to just records with their account name or which are linked by an ID number to their account record in a related table of users by using record level access controls.

See "Editing record access privileges" in FileMaker Help and check out this particular sub section: "Entering a formula for limiting access on a record-by-record basis" for a detailed description of how to set this up.