3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2011 12:47 PM by CDCASA

FM Server trial

CDCASA

Title

FM Server trial

Your post

I am trying to use the FM Server free trial to see if it is what I need and I am having some issues. I am trying to avoid paying the extra money for FM Server Advanced and since FM Server does not work with IWP I was intending to give PHP a try. My problem is during the installation process it asks me to choose a web server to use for web publishing but I am confused because I thought that FM Server would BE the web sever itself. When I chose the only option available for this prompt (IIS) the next page told me the FileMaker installation process was unable to communicate with the web server I selected. The one I selected was the only option. I selected skip this step and was able to finish the process but I am confused of what I need to do to configure the web server. Advice?

• 1. Re: FM Server trial
          CDCASA

Since I haven't gotten a response to this question yet I was just wondering if it was because no one knew the answer or if it wasn't seen? If anyone can help with this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• 2. Re: FM Server trial
            philmodjunk

IIS is the web server software you'd use, but it must be properly configured first before you install FM Server and configure it to use IIS as the web server. I don't know how to do that, which is why I have not responded before now as this provides you with very little assistance.

• 3. Re: FM Server trial
              CDCASA

Thanks for the reply, it actually helped a lot. Now my question is why do I need web server software such as IIS? I was under the impression that FileMaker Server was all the software I needed. Can you explain to me the details of what I need? I have read a lot on this topic but I am obviously not understanding how this works. I just need to be able to publish my databases online to have users in remote locations be able to access them without having the FileMaker software themselves. Right now I am set up with the IWP but I am looking into PHP to see if I can just get the FM Server rather than the FM Server Advanced. For either of these set ups can you please clarify what software and setups I need? Thank you.