Were you able to figure this out? I'm having the same challenge.
You may want to report this over in Report an Issue if you don't get a response from a "TS" person here. You may have encountered a bug that needs to be documented.
I've added it to the Report an Issue. Others seem to have had this issue but I think my issue is unique because the two files are on separate servers.
I have created a separate solution to provide support purely to WebDirect users. I have added the External Data Source as I would do normally and created matching accounts / passwords in both files. The 'Web' version works fine in FileMaker Pro, but when I access it via WebDirect, i just get "File Missing" errors. I tested with a basic script to perform a find on a table linked via the EDS (which again works fine in FMP), but I get an error of "External Data Source could not be opened. (Not Found)" when trying exactly the same script in WebDirect.
Please help, this is driving me nuts.
Both databases are hosted on the same server.
No luck here, either.
In my case, we're using external LDAP authentication, and I'm logging in to the front-end using my LDAP credentials. I've got the same level of access with my LDAP credentials on both the front-end and back-end files, so it doesn't seem like this would be a permissions problem. I'm stumped and dismayed; I was hoping to build small, confined web apps for specific users outside the company. This is a bit of a snag to say the least.
In the External Data Source definition on your front-end, use a relative "file:/" path name for the source file, rather than an "fmnet:/" network source. The server seems to sort all this out.
- With your front-end database open in FileMaker Pro, click File > Manage > External Data Sources…
- Click on your external data source definition in the list, then click the Edit… button.
In the File Path List box, replace any fmnet: entries with a corresponding file: entry.
- Old: fmnet:/server.name.or.ip/filename
- New: file:/filename
- Click OK and OK again.
Note: To preserve your table occurrence definitions, do not delete any sources or change their names. Be sure simply to edit them.
This does require both the front end and back end to be on the same server.
I have not had a chance to try this but I discovered that under "security" for the database you are linking to there is a "file access" tab. I think you need to define external files that should have access here. It might be the issue.
I have tried both of the above suggestions without success.
Filemaker will not accept file paths like "file:/filename". It has to be "file:filename", without the slash or it will give you an error.file
I have given the I am trying to call an external script from authorization in the database it is calling. No dice, I still get the error that the external data source can't be found.
Disappointing to see that two years has not been sufficient time for either FMI to fix the bug or someone on here to help with this. It's a pretty major showstopper.
I got stuck on this one for the past hour and I've figured out at least what caused mine to not work. The Privilege Sets I had defined in both the interface and the data file were the same except I had forgotten to check 'Access vie FileMaker WebDirect' in the data file - which explains the behaviour I was seeing (I could have sworn I checked it when I set it up... ).
So, check that the Privilege Set being used in both files is has 'Access vie FileMaker WebDirect' checked.
Hope this helps.