AnsweredAssumed Answered

FM11 ODBC Driver not functional with Tableau

Question asked by carmenm on Apr 13, 2011
Latest reply on May 12, 2011 by carmenm

Title

FM11 ODBC Driver not functional with Tableau

Your post

I posted this first in the Tableau forums, but I thought I'd crosspost it here.  I'm trying to connect Tableau business intelligence software to FileMaker Server 11 Advanced via ODBC. Tableau is supposed to be able to support ODBC version 3 or higher.

If anyone else has been able to use ODBC with Tableau I would be very interested.  I'm able to use FM's ODBC driver just fine with Microsoft Office products.  Here is my experience in Tableau:

If I try to select the Driver, I get "An error occurred while communicating with the data source."

If I select a DSN that I have already set up in the ODBC Administrator, I can get a connection with the following limitations:

======================================================================

This ODBC driver does not support all the capabilities used by Tableau. While many capabilities are available, you may want to create a Tableau data extract for complete functionality.

Tableau was unable to determine support for the following: TOP n / LIMIT n

-----

Tableau identified the following warnings for the ODBC data source named 'Student':

Tableau was unable to determine support for the following: SELECT ... INTO

Tableau was unable to determine support for the following: Subqueries

This aggregation is unsupported: Attribute

This aggregation is unsupported: Median

This aggregation is unsupported: Std. Dev

This aggregation is unsupported: Std. Dev (Pop.)

This aggregation is unsupported: Variance

This aggregation is unsupported: Variance (Pop.)

This function is unsupported: + with parameter types 'string, string'

This function is unsupported: ACOS(number) with parameter types 'float'

This function is unsupported: ASCII(string) with parameter types 'string'

This function is unsupported: ASIN(number) with parameter types 'float'

This function is unsupported: CONTAINS with parameter types 'string, string'

This function is unsupported: COT(number) with parameter types 'float'

This function is unsupported: DATETIME with parameter types 'integer'

This function is unsupported: FIND with parameter types 'string, string, integer'

This function is unsupported: FIND(string, substring, [start]) with parameter types 'string, string'

This function is unsupported: FIND(string, substring, [start]) with parameter types 'string, string, float'

This function is unsupported: FIND(string, substring, [start]) with parameter types 'string, string, integer'

This function is unsupported: POWER with parameter types 'float, integer'

This function is unsupported: POWER with parameter types 'integer, integer'

This function is unsupported: POWER(number,power) with parameter types 'float, integer'

This function is unsupported: POWER(number,power) with parameter types 'integer, integer'

This function is unsupported: SQUARE with parameter types 'float'

This function is unsupported: The date part named 'day' for the date function: DATEDIFF(date_part, start_date, end_date)

This function is unsupported: The date part named 'dayofyear' for the date function: DATEDIFF(date_part, start_date, end_date)

This function is unsupported: The date part named 'hour' for the date function: DATEDIFF(date_part, start_date, end_date)

This function is unsupported: The date part named 'minute' for the date function: DATEDIFF(date_part, start_date, end_date)

This function is unsupported: The date part named 'month' for the date function: DATEDIFF(date_part, start_date, end_date)

This function is unsupported: The date part named 'quarter' for the date function: DATEDIFF(date_part, start_date, end_date)

This function is unsupported: The date part named 'second' for the date function: DATEDIFF(date_part, start_date, end_date)

This function is unsupported: The date part named 'week' for the date function: DATEDIFF(date_part, start_date, end_date)

This function is unsupported: The date part named 'weekday' for the date function: DATEDIFF(date_part, start_date, end_date)

This function is unsupported: The date part named 'year' for the date function: DATEDIFF(date_part, start_date, end_date)

This is unsupported: Temporary tables

=====================================================================

When I try to create an extract, or connect to the data live, I can get most numerical fields and some dates, but all text fields are Null.

I guess I need to use Excel or Access as a go-between for now...

Outcomes