8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2012 9:22 AM by disabled_JackRodgers

FM12-Mini Server Admin won't open

rleejones

Title

FM12-Mini Server Admin won't open

Your post

After doing a software update and attempting to open the FM-12 Server Admin application I got the message, "...you need to download the Java Runtime Environment for Web Start applications."  I did that several times but keep getting the same warning message when attempting to open FM-12 Server admin.

FM-12 Server is happily running and accessable on the network.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

• 2. Re: FM12-Mini Server Admin won't open
          rleejones

Thanks for the reply.  Been down that road and still get the same result.  I've installed and re-installed Java 7, Update 9 several times and still get the same message.  I've restarted the server, explored the Java options in the Java control panel, but the problem still exists.

I am considering calling Filemaker, but don't feel I should have to pay for tech time for a problem that looks like is in the software...

Thanks again for the reply.

• 3. Re: FM12-Mini Server Admin won't open

Roger Jones:

Thank you for the post.

Being able to launch the FileMaker Server Admin Console is a free topic through FileMaker's technical support, so please don't hesitate to call as we always want a user to be able to administer his/her server. 

If you are located in the U.S. or Canada, then contact technical support toll free at 1-800-325-2747. The hours are between 7 AM - 5 PM PDT. 

If you are located outside of North America, then locate the technical support office nearest you from the following link:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/intl/

However, if you could provide the operating system being used, I can assist you as well. My first questions besides the operating system would be are you able to access the start page at <serverIP>:16000 through a web browser and can a fresh copy of the Java Applet be downloaded by clicking "Start Admin Console"?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FM12-Mini Server Admin won't open
              rleejones

TSFalcon,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I'm using a MAC Mini Server running Mac OS X 10.7.5.  Everything was running fine until I did an OSX update.  I updated Java as instructed in your help page; the problem still existed.

So I followed your suggestion and accessed the start page using <serverIP>:16000.  It worked!  But how do I fix accessing my server via the application on my server?

Thanks again for getting back to me.  I'm leaving now but my be back later tonight or first thing in the morning.

Roger

• 5. Re: FM12-Mini Server Admin won't open

Roger Jones:

Thank you for the reply.

When you click "Start Admin Console" by default the Java Applet downloads to the downloads folder. Try dragging that applet to the desktop and launching from there. If that doesn't work, try deleting the Java Cache and trying again. 

If the following does not resolve the issue, please let me know and we can discuss next steps.

TSFalcon
                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FM12-Mini Server Admin won't open
                  rleejones

TSFalcon,

What you have shared with me works.  The Admin Console is again accessable.  I dragged the applet to the desktop and double clicking it opens FMS-miniserver.com.

However, FMS-Mini Server and FMS-miniserver.com applications in the Application folder still do not work.  Can they?  Should they?  Or should I trash and forget about them?

....Roger

• 7. Re: FM12-Mini Server Admin won't open

Roger Jones:

Thank you for the reply.

Sometimes the applet can become associated with the wrong IP address or launch with the wrong version of Java. Likely this is what happened to the files currently in the Applications folder.

If you trash the ones in the Applications folder and make a copy of the working one from the desktop and paste it into the Applications folder, then the currently working applet should be able to launch from Applications or anywhere else. 

Please let me know if this was the resolution. 

TSFalcon
                         FileMaker, Inc.
                    • 8. Re: FM12-Mini Server Admin won't open

Filemaker should create its own admin console rather than rely on Java... This has been a problem for years and many versions. 

I resolved my problem by changing from Zone Alarm to Bit Defender. I had to turn off Zone Alarm to get the Java Download to work.

I can transfer files from Pro to Go using container fields. Nice work, Filemaker. Now assign your engineers to create Filemaker's own Admin Console delivery system and forget using Java.