6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2008 12:50 PM by cbum

FM8 WinXP can log in on FMSA 9.03 fine, but FM8 Vista does not see the server?

cbum

Title

FM8 WinXP can log in on FMSA 9.03 fine, but FM8 Vista does not see the server?

Your post

Is this an issue of blocked ports on the client? Any other ideas?

• 1. Re: FM8 WinXP can log in on FMSA 9.03 fine, but FM8 Vista does not see the server?
          rmanook

Hi Cbum,

Just to make sure that we're on the same page, in Open Remote do you see the Server IP address?  Or is the issue that you can not see the database files? 

If you are unable to even see the Server IP address, port 5003 may be blocked.  Try opening a command prompt on the client machine and enter the following command:

telnet 127.0.0.1 5003

Alternatively, you can run netstat -nab to see if port 5003 is open.  Let me know how it works out.

Thanks,

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: FM8 WinXP can log in on FMSA 9.03 fine, but FM8 Vista does not see the server?
            cbum

No, the server IP is not visible.

As to port 5003, why does the XP installation work just fine? Does it use another port?

And my macs also connect fine, they use 5003, no? 

• 3. Re: FM8 WinXP can log in on FMSA 9.03 fine, but FM8 Vista does not see the server?
              rmanook

cbum:

FileMaker Network Sharing (access via Open Remote) uses port 5003, so any machine in the network configuration must have it open.  Port 5003 is the only port required to use FileMaker Network Sharing.  Why a machine/machines can have port 5003 open and another not I cannot say.  I can only hypothesize that perhaps there is an application blocking the port or the network admin might have overlooked this particular machine.

On top of that, the machine may not be part of the subnet.  Again, without having configured your network I cannot say why the server IP is not showing up.  Try going to File > Open Remote and then adding the server's IP address via Favorites.  You can also try accessing a database via the network path.

What were the results of the port scan?

Also, is this FMP 8 or FMP 8.5?  Just for a heads up later on, the earliest FileMaker version that is tested for Vista is FMP 8.5v2.

Thanks,

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: FM8 WinXP can log in on FMSA 9.03 fine, but FM8 Vista does not see the server?
                cbum

I have to ask the user to run a port scan before being able to answer.

What do you mean with the admin overlooking this machine? What does one have to do to the vista client to enable FM communications? The client machine can connect to the network and the internet just fine...

Can you elaborate on subnet limitations? External, e.g. VPN client-enabled connections work fine on the XP machines or the macs, so I don't quite follow.

How does adding a favorite IP bypass the problem (I tried that, btw, no effect) ?

Can you give an example of a valid network path?

How does adding the fmnet:/ prefix change behaviors?

thanks

(The problem client is using FMP8, btw. Is 8.0 -> 8.5 free?) 

• 5. Re: FM8 WinXP can log in on FMSA 9.03 fine, but FM8 Vista does not see the server?
                  rmanook

Hey cbum!

I was essentially just throwing out "the usual suspects" as it were, or common reasons as to why FileMaker Network Sharing may not be working; since I had not set up the configuration I can only suggest things that might be causing the IP address and hosted files not to show up.  We recently came across a SSL-based issue where installations post Sept. 22, 2008 could not see hosted files.  I don't believe this is the issue here since the host IP address is not showing up and the SSL issue shouldn't affect this.

What do you mean with the admin overlooking this machine? What does one have to do to the vista client to enable FM communications? The client machine can connect to the network and the internet just fine... 

Regardless of Vista, XP, or Leopard a database can be shared via FileMaker Network Sharing if the following conditions are met:

1.  In the database, File > Sharing > FileMaker Network Sharing is turned on and the proper accounts (or all) are given access to the file

2.  In File > Manage > Accounts and Privileges > Edit Privilege Set, 'Access via FileMaker Network (fmapp)' is checked in Extended Privileges

3.  The host application and database file are open 

4.  Port 5003 (TCP and UDP) is open on all machines and hardware 

So in reality, the end user machine really only needs a copy of FileMaker Pro installed and port 5003 open.  I had mentioned that the Admin might have overlooked this machine in verifying that port 5003 is open.  The internet should work since that requires Port 80 .  The network would only be a troubleshooting factor if it also used port 5003.  This is the main reason why the netstat -nab is important.

Can you elaborate on subnet limitations? External, e.g. VPN client-enabled connections work fine on the XP machines or the macs, so I don't quite follow

If you go to File > Open Remote, it will only list the applications on the LAN.  Therefore, if you are not on the same subnet as a particular host application it will not populate that host application.  The purpose of a VPN is to allow access into the LAN, which is why external clients can access the databases.  I had mentioned this more so as a possibility (small) or a question if the 'problem' machine is on a different subnet or is external which is why the host application ip was not populating by default.  This was not meant as a subnet limitation.

How does adding a favorite IP bypass the problem (I tried that, btw, no effect) ?

This was just a troubleshooting step to see if we could force the IP to show.  

Can you give an example of a valid network path?

Actually, we can use FileMaker Pro's example listed in the Open Remote window:

fmnet:/hostIPAddress/filename

This, too, is a troubleshooting step to see if we could force a connection between the user machine and the host application

Unfortunately, there is not a free FMP 8.5 upgrade.  I would recommend an upgrade if the user has a Vista machine as FMP 8 is not tested and certified with Vista (this may be a result?).  Another thing the user can try (to help narrow down the issue of FMP 8 and Vista or a port/network issue) is a free trial of FMP 9 and see if that helps.  You can download the free trial of FMP 9 here:

http://www.filemakertrial.com/nskto/form/entry.aspx 

Hope this clarifies things.

Thanks!

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: FM8 WinXP can log in on FMSA 9.03 fine, but FM8 Vista does not see the server?
                    cbum

ok, one new piece of the puzzle:

On an XP client, which is on the university NW, but other subdomain, the local host view remains blank, and entering the IP address, with and without the full path, fails to connect.

However, entering just the IP into the add favorite IP leads to a user/pw prompt, and ultimately succeeds in connecting.

Why does entering the IP in the local host view fail? How are the networking parameters, e.g needed ports, different?