5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2012 11:26 AM by jkfmstn

FMPRO SERVER ADVANCED 11 - CLOSES DATABASES - ALSO QUITS

jkfmstn

Title

FMPRO SERVER ADVANCED 11 - CLOSES DATABASES - ALSO QUITS

Your post

FMPRO SERVER ADVANCED 11, DEDICATED SERVER

WINDOWS 2003, SP2, INTEL 3.0 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, 360 GB DRIVE, 30 GB USED

I've been supporting a FileMaker Server solution for the past month that was developed and ran well as far as I know for the past year or so.

In the past few days the server has quit once or closed a database.

The most recent ( this morning ) the server seemed to quit on its own without any other related event.

8/28/2012 7:33 Server Events Information Stopping FileMaker Server...  

8/28/2012 7:33 Server Events Information Stopping FileMaker Database Engine...

Previous to the above event, the server closed a critical database after reporting errors running import scripts using an ODBC connection :  ( I changed the name of the databases, external datasources and script names for privacy ).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2012-08-24 22:00:00 Server Events Information Schedule "Import from ( External DB )" has started FileMaker script "Nightly Import".

2012-08-24 22:01:14 Server Events Information Schedule "Import from ( External DB )" scripting error (101) at "CPServer : Import Data from ( External DB ) : Go to Record/Request/Page".

2012-08-24 22:03:44 Server Events Information Schedule "Import from ( External DB )" scripting error (101) at "CPServer : Import List from ( External Server ) : Go to Record/Request/Page".

2012-08-24 22:03:44 Server Events Information Schedule "Import from ( External DB )" scripting error (101) at "CPServer : Import Codes from ( External DB ) : Go to Record/Request/Page".

2012-08-24 22:03:44 Server Events Information Schedule "Import from ( External DB )" completed.

2012-08-24 22:03:44 Server Events Information Schedule "Import from ( External DB )" scheduled for 08/25/2012 10:00 PM.

2012-08-24 22:27:12 Server Events Error Database or temporary file "CPServer" is damaged and has been closed. (20402 : 33 : 104104)

2012-08-24 22:27:14 Server Events Information Database "CPServer" closed.

2012-08-24 22:33:13 Server Events Warning Client  " ( External DataSource, IP Address ) " no longer responding; connection closed. (51)

I found it quite alarming # 1 to have the FMPRO Server just shut down on me this morning for no apparent reason.

# 2 Even when trying to complete a scripted ODBC import ( which has been running indefinitely without problems ) to have the server close a database and report that it was damaged is disturbing.

When I called FileMaker support they said I may be looking at a FMPRO Server reinstall which I prefer not doing.

Anyone want to chime in??  I've supported other FileMaker Server 11's at other locations. I haven't experienced outright closing of server and/or databases before.

Thanks

• 1. Re: FMPRO SERVER ADVANCED 11 - CLOSES DATABASES - ALSO QUITS
          philmodjunk

The 101 errors may not be "real" errors.

If you have a looping script with Go to Record/Request/Page [Next ; Exit after last]

a 101 error will be logged every time the last record of the page is reached and the "exit" condition kicks in to exit the loop--even though this is correct behavior for your script.

This looks like the main concern:

Database or temporary file "CPServer" is damaged and has been closed.

I'd take a recent copy of CPServer and perform a Recover on that file to see if Recover reports any problems with it. I'd either replace that file with a backup that recovers without any problems reported or test the recovered copy (if no trouble is reported during recover) to see if it has the same issues.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1. The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
          2. Recover does not detect all problems
          3. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          4. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.
          • 2. Re: FMPRO SERVER ADVANCED 11 - CLOSES DATABASES - ALSO QUITS
            jkfmstn

Thanks for the reply.

Our machine has been "stable" the past few days but we are taking the approach of not taking chances and are planning for cloning the problem database file soon and importing the most recent data.

We are also probably going to proceed with a reinstall of FMPRO Server.

One new development: An error that was generated in the FMPRO Server log reported the following :

FileMaker Server 11.0.2.217 on HS-SRV1 reported the following event:

Error 685       Error occurred while deleting backup folder "filewin:/C:/Program Files/FileMaker/FileMaker Server/Data/Backups/Daily_2012-08-21_2300/", some files or folders could not be deleted. (20501)

This has not happened again but I'm starting to think that we have an older Windows 2003 SP 2 machine with older server drives. 

I think I'd sleep better knowing that we took the precaution of reinstalling the server. I've done it enough times to know that drill.

Our department will be getting a newer hardware platform but it's not going to happen within the next few months.

• 3. Re: FMPRO SERVER ADVANCED 11 - CLOSES DATABASES - ALSO QUITS
              philmodjunk

Have you run any diagnostics on the drive to make sure it is fully healthy? problems with a hard drive might keep the file from being deleted.

• 4. Re: FMPRO SERVER ADVANCED 11 - CLOSES DATABASES - ALSO QUITS
                jkfmstn

"Have you run any diagnostics on the drive to make sure it is fully healthy? problems with a hard drive might keep the file from being deleted."

We're starting to think that an IT staff member who has retrieved backup copies of databases may have affected the Folder permissions on that server.

He happens to use a Mac to mount the server and thinks when Mac OS opens a folder it affects the Windows permissions settings. There were 2 occassions ( on different days ) when he retrieved backups. The same thing happened each night when FMPRO Server tried to delete the folder.

Still, it doesn't hurt to be monitoring server drives, especially as they age. This server is almost 10 years old. I just found out it is running IIS 5.0 which I though everyone had bagged for being a security nightmare.

• 5. Re: FMPRO SERVER ADVANCED 11 - CLOSES DATABASES - ALSO QUITS
                  jkfmstn

Problem Tentatively Resolved.  The FileMaker Server 11 based database solution I was hired to support was using a large number of FM Go databases that were scripted on a timer to synchronize simultaneously each night.  When we started adding more Ipads ( more than 20 - originally it was a 5 Ipad - Pilot Project ) that put a heavier load on the Server based database to manage 2 way synchronization.