3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2010 7:45 AM by PointInSpace

FMPro Web application question.

86TurboZ

Title

FMPro Web application question.

Your post

I hope this is a quick question and I hope it's asked in the right place.

I'm working on a project which may turn into a web application.  The question is this.....

Is it possible to develop a web application using FMPro (say version 10) and publish the application on a Windows IIS server for internal use only where the users would access the application using a web browser only?

What would I need to make this happen?

• 1. Re: FMPro Web application question.
          PointInSpace

To publish your database, you will need either FileMaker Server or Server Advanced.  If you use a custom web publishing method - such as XML/XSLT, PHP or Lasso - then you only need Server.  If you wish to use Instant Web Publishing instead, then you'd need Server Advanced.

You may also want to consider using a 3rd party hosting provider, such as ourselves:

http://www.pointinspace.com/

- John 

• 2. Re: FMPro Web application question.
            86TurboZ

Than you for the hosting offer but this is an internal 'intranet' application. My goal is to reduce the surface area of the application as well the expense involved. If I continue with the advancements requested in this application and upgrade it from Version 6 I'll need the server and at least 12 to 15 users.  My goal here is try an reduce the expense of having to purchase up o 15 workstation 'copies/licenses' if I FMPro advance server (or server) will create the web application which the users simply access via URL.

I've been wanting to rewrite this application using a SQL server and ASP.NET but that would take far more time than simply making a simple change to the system.

• 3. Re: FMPro Web application question.
              PointInSpace

In that case, you need FileMaker Server or Server Advanced as described above.  Note that you can test Instant Web Publishing capabilities using a plain copy of FileMaker Pro.  And if you join the FileMaker Technical Network for $99/year, you get a development version of FileMaker Server Advanced that you can try Custom Web Publishing methods with (PHP, Lasso or XML/XSLT).

- John