14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2014 2:29 PM by TSGal

FMPS13: Lost all Access to Database by FMP Clients/WebDirect Due to serverCustom.pem Cert File

Mac89

Title

FMPS13: Lost all Access to Database by FMP Clients/WebDirect Due to serverCustom.pem Cert File

Your post

I just installed a SSL certificate using fmsadmin in FMPS 13.01 on a Mac OS Server 10.8.5 and it managed to block all access to my database by FMP clients and through WebDirect. After an agonizing hour or so with no indications anything was wrong in the Admin Console or anywhere else other then that none of my users could log into the database, I removed the serverCustom.pem file which was created by fmsadmin in the /Library/FileMaker Server/CStore folder when I uploaded my cert. As soon as I did this everything began working again.

I had installed exactly as described on page 191 of the FMP Server Help Guide and the SSL cert did show when I tested it on the site through WebDirect. The only issue was that the cert was missing the primary and secondary intermediate certs because FMP doesn't provide any guidance on how to install them. However, I cannot imagine how having the primary and secondary missing could cause all database access to be blocked. I tested the cert with the Thawte cert verification tool and it show up fine except for the missing intermediaries.

Another interesting note. After I removed the serverCustom.pem file, I checked our site from multiple browsers/boxes. In every instance it still showed our newly installed cert and not the default FMI one. I thought that if the serverCustom.pem file was removed it would default to the FMI cert so not sure why they are showing, albeit without the proper intermediate certs being in place.

Of course support is closed now but I will be taking back up with them tomorrow. I'm back but the SSL issue remains unresolved.

Anyone else run into this?