8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2010 12:29 PM by MarkCarollo

FMS 10 Adv - Windows Server 2008 - Logins fail every few days

klawiter

Title

FMS 10 Adv - Windows Server 2008 - Logins fail every few days

Your post

I have a new installation of FMS 10.2.2.206 Advanced on Windows Server 2008 Enterprise running in a VM and have trouble every few days where nobody is able to login to any file until the FileMaker Service is killed and restarted.

The installation is a full install with WPE using IIS on the same server.  Everything seems fine for a few days and then the login failures occur on all files.   The pattern has repeated several times over the last couple of weeks.  I am able to connect via the console application and shut down the WPE but the database server will not shutdown, even trying to stop the service via the Services control panel.  I have to kill three services via task manager to get it stopped.  (fmserver.exe, fmservicewrapper.exe and fmshelper.exe) After restarting the FileMaker Service, everything comes back normal.

When in the error condition, I receive the following email notification every hour:

FileMaker Server 10.0.2.206 on ALFM1 reported the following event:

Mon Feb 08 16:48:58 EST 2010 FMS ERROR wpe1

Some problems were detected in the WPE COMPONENT: COMPONENT IS NOT RESPONDING.

I first thought it was related to having WPE running without a file being open but having a file open via WPE has not made any difference.   I have all (all two that is) files in a directory at the root of the server  (C:\Databases) and no files in the default Data directory of the FMSever program tree.  

I hope I might have supplied enough information to make some sense out this trouble.  As is, the server certainly can not go into production.

Thanks for your time.

• 1. Re: FMS 10 Adv - Windows Server 2008 - Logins fail every few days
          Marx

Do you have access to the event logs of w2k8 server - can you isolate and export all system events around the time when fms first reported the component unresponsive?

You have explored all the messages of the FMS logs, correct? 

Consistent behavior would imply a causal event somewhere we would hope. 

• 2. Re: FMS 10 Adv - Windows Server 2008 - Logins fail every few days
            philmodjunk

Do you have any scheduled backups that initiated and then "hung"?

Check your logs for a backup that started and never completed. This is a known issue that filemaker is having trouble reproducing in the lab.

• 3. Re: FMS 10 Adv - Windows Server 2008 - Logins fail every few days
              klawiter

Thank you both for your replies.  I will get to the server tomorrow to look at some logs.   I do, indeed, have a backup strategy in place and will look at that.

The server has been running fine since Monday morning, but I have IWP disabled. This is a real shame since we bought the Advanced version specifically to utilize the web access.

• 4. Re: FMS 10 Adv - Windows Server 2008 - Logins fail every few days
                klawiter

I have uninstalled/reinstalled FMS a number of times this morning and tried different sets of option the the Filemaker Server Deployment wizard.   Regardless of the options I choose I get the same four errors (even if I choose options that do not include IWP)

ERROR 127.0.0.1:55090 - - "/fmi/conf/config.wpc?-iwp_enabled=yes&-xml_enabled=no&-php_enabled=no&-language=eng&-xslt_enabled=no" 401 0

INFORMATION 127.0.0.1:55094 - fmsadmin "/fmi/conf/config.wpc?-iwp_enabled=yes&-xml_enabled=no&-php_enabled=no&-language=eng&-xslt_enabled=no" 200 2241

ERROR 127.0.0.1:55103 - - "/fmi/conf/config.wpc" 401 0

INFORMATION 127.0.0.1:55104 - fmsadmin "/fmi/conf/config.wpc" 200 2241 

• 5. Re: FMS 10 Adv - Windows Server 2008 - Logins fail every few days
                  TSGal

klawiter:

Thank you for your posts.

Another customer on the forum has reported a similar issue.  You may want to look at the post:

wpe1 error message

Our Testing department requested the logs from the customer, so it would help if I could also get your log files.  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the files.

For clarification purposes, you said that "nobody is able to login to any file until the FileMaker Service is killed and restarted."  Does this only mean Instant Web Publishing, or does this also include FileMaker Pro clients accessing a hosted file?

Is there a Jakarta folder in IIS?  Are you using external authentication?  Did you disable guest accounts?

Any additional information may be helpful in narrowing down this problem.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: FMS 10 Adv - Windows Server 2008 - Logins fail every few days
                    klawiter

Last Monday morning, I blew away the whole installation and started over again.  (actually, it took multiple attempts to get it without an error).  Each time,  I uninstall, then deleted the remaining FileMaker folder in Program Files.  Given this, I do not have logs that I can provide.   Currently, the server has been running error-free for five days.   On the last installation, when I ran the Server Assistant I made sure that PHP, XSLT and XML were all disabled. (leaving just IWP enabled)  I also made sure there were no scheduled jobs.  The server has been fine with just a couple of files hosted.  One file, available via fmapp and the sample file available via all possible methods. 

This afternoon, I have created/enabled my scheduled backup jobs and enabled PHP and will see over the next few days how things work out.  I will keep you posted.

To answer a few of your questions:

"nobody is able to login to any file":   This means FileMaker Pro clients as well as via IWP.   I could not even login to a file using the builtin administrator account for the file. I did get a dialog box prompting for account and password though.  On Macs, that is normal and expected, but on Windows, we have external authentication enabled using AD groups so seeing an authentication dialog for Windows is totally unexpected. 

Guest accounts are disabled in both files.

Jakarta folder:  I have seen this, but currently there is not a Jakarta folder in the IIS root 

• 7. Re: FMS 10 Adv - Windows Server 2008 - Logins fail every few days
                      klawiter

OK, I have now been running this whole week normally.   All desired features are enabled (IPW, PHP, Backups) and all seem to be functioning without error.   This has been a rather frustrating few weeks and Im sure it is just as frustrating for FileMaker since it is not easy to replicate the error.  I just ended up uninstalling and reinstalling enough times that the gods seemed to find favor.  It really wasn't anything more than that in the end.  As the for previously mentioned Jakarta folder.  I ran across that in the IIS console.  ( It is a virtual directory. )

• 8. Re: FMS 10 Adv - Windows Server 2008 - Logins fail every few days
                        MarkCarollo

Same issue with windows server 2003.  Was there a solution?