11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2010 3:46 AM by pgageler

FMS 10 Refusing New Connections

JamesReed

Title

FMS 10 Refusing New Connections

Your post

We have a FMS v. 10.0.2.206 running on Windows Server 2003.  Max load is about 40 simultaneous users.  Every so often users who are attempting to connect to the database can not, and files don't appear in the open remote window when the server is selected.  Users who are already connected can continue to work with no problems.  The only way to allow other users to connect is to stop and then re-start the FMS software, which corrects the problem always.

As this has happened on average once every ten days, and is quickly remedied, it hasn't been a show-stopping problem, but it is annoying, and this week it has happened more frequently.

We've ruled out over the past year that the problem is the hardware, as we've changed that, the Server software, as this occurred when using FMS 9 as well, so wondering if this is a known fault of FMS, or could something internal to the actual database structure be causing this?

Thanks for any help in advance!

James Reed

• 1. Re: FMS 10 Refusing New Connections
          TSGal

jreed0546:

Thank you for your post.

Are these all FileMaker Pro clients?  Or, are some web clients (Instant Web Publishing, Custom Web Publishing)?  Are you using any ODBC connections?  Are you using any External SQL Data Sources (ESS)?

When this occurs, is the Admin Console still working and displaying the correct information?

Is there any indication of the problem in the log files?

Any other information you can provide may help narrow down the possible cause(s).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMS 10 Refusing New Connections
            JamesReed

These are all Filemaker clients, no other access than through Filemaker client, SSL is on. 

The Admin console is still working and responding, users already connected can continue working perfectly fine - it's just to allow anyone else to connect, we have to stop the server in FMS Admin (thereby having to kick everyone off), and then restart it.

Can't really see any indication in the log files of anything unusual.

James Reed

(original poster, for some reason can't log in to forums with original account)

• 3. Re: FMS 10 Refusing New Connections
              TSGal

jreed0546:

Thanks for the additional information.  Nothing sounds out of the ordinary, so I don't know why this is occurring (and I'm well aware that doesn't help you).  It sounds like a memory issue, and the only memory related issue I see (custom menus with Server) was fixed in 10.0v2.

In the log files, does it state a connection is refused?  If so, please post some of the log here for me to view.

Anything else you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FMS 10 Refusing New Connections
                JamesReed

I will post log next time it occurs ( the current logs are cluttered as we were using an "opener file" that would have a login that would get refused and the actual file would prompt for account name and password; am deseminating an improved "opener" that won't clutter the logs).

I've noticed this forum that exactly describes the problem: (mine is  the last post)

http://forum-en.filemaker.com/t5/Using-FileMaker-Server/Filemaker-Server-Stops-Accepting-New-Connections/td-p/29785

Is it possible SSL is the problem?

Thanks for your assistance in this - a fairly large FM client (think roughly 140 seats) that may migrate away from FM rather than upgrade if this can't be resolved.

James Reed

• 5. Re: FMS 10 Refusing New Connections
                  TSGal

jreed0546:

The link you provided looks EXACTLY like your problem, and I even replied to it.

As I look over the related issue that was assigned to that thread, this also causes the Admin Console to fail or go "deaf".  That is, the Admin Console refuses to update itself.  This has been corrected in FileMaker Server 11.

I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - envelope icon just below the blue horizontal bar) with some additional information regarding your log files.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FMS 10 Refusing New Connections
                    pgageler

I had the same problem (FMSA10 on Windows 2003 Server)  - every 1-3 weeks the server would stop authenticating new users (both using FMP and via IWP) and the Server Console would be totally unresponsive.  This was very frustrating as I had to keep doing emergency reboot (sending an email to all known users to exit as I had to restart the server. Also, the only way to stop the server was to stop the service on the Windows Server - which is not too kind on the databases, which then take ages to start back up because each file then had to be verified.  In the end, I ended up stoppong and starting the server after hours every week. I raised it with FileMaker who could only suggest reinstalling everything - which I finally did, but that didn't solve the problem.  In desparation, I updated to FMSA11 as soon as it was released - and so far I haven't has the problem again.  I'm hoping I never see it again!  So, sorry - I can't offer any advice except to update to FMSA11.

• 7. Re: FMS 10 Refusing New Connections
                      JamesReed

Thanks for detailing your situation - I'm not alone! I understand the hassle it must has been - we've changed the physical hardware completely, and the problem persisted when going from FMS9 to FMS10 as well, so it has been a long haul troubleshooting.

Just wondering if you upgraded ONLY the server software to 11, and not the clients? Was that enough?

And how long has it been running 11 for you to be confident it has solved the problem?

Thanks for your feedback!

James Reed

• 8. Re: FMS 10 Refusing New Connections
                        pgageler

As I have only been running FMSA11 for just over two weeks, I can't be absolutely sure that the problem is resolved, but it would seem so, given with FMSA10 we barely went a week before without experiencing the problem. In answer to you question about clients, I am progressively updating the client software to 11, but at this stage a still have a lot of users connecting via FMP10.

• 9. Re: FMS 10 Refusing New Connections
                          TSGal

PGageler:

Please continue to keep everyone updated on FileMaker Server 11 and if any unresponsiveness occurs.

On a side note, when the server becomes unresponsive, go to the command line and issue the command:

fmsadmin close

This will close all database files properly, and you will not have to encounter any possible damage and verifying when the file opens again.

jreed0546:

I received your message.  I don't have anything else to add from what out Technical Support liaison gave you.  The next time this occurs, try the information I gave you and report back.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: FMS 10 Refusing New Connections
                            JamesReed

PGageler :Just wondering if indeed the upgrade to FMS 11 has indeed solved the problem - your last post mentioned just two weeks, I'm wondering if you've still gone on and not had any repeat of the problem?  Or do I assume if you're not watching this forum that that is indeed the case?

Please respond either way!

James Reed

• 11. Re: FMS 10 Refusing New Connections
                              pgageler

My apologies for not responding earlier - I have had reason to restart the server a couple of times sine my last post (trying to fix a separate problem of WPE component not responding - something which has only started since updating to FMSA11), so I wanted to give the server a bit of time before declaring victory on this one.

Unfortunately I discovered yesterday afternoon that the server console was unresponsive and was not accurately displaying who was connected. As before, I had to stop the service (which reported an error) and restart the hardware. I cannot say for sure that new connections were being refused, but the situation had all the hallmarks of the problem I had with FMSA10.

So at this stage I am not convinced that the problem has entirely disappeared.  I will keep you posted.

PGageler