6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2010 1:58 AM by AndreasT

FMS 10 Scheduled backup

Steve0421

Title

FMS 10 Scheduled backup

Your post

Is there a way to NOT have the whole folder structure when backing up files.  I have a backup folder where FMS 9 would simply put the file in it.  Using FMS 10 it adds the dated folder as well as all other folders that the file is in.  This wouldn't be such a pain if we could back up to mapped or network drives.

• 1. Re: FMS 10 Scheduled backup
          PointInSpace

No way to do this, AFAIK.  It would be really nice to have an option to disable the directory structure that is created.

- John

• 2. Re: FMS 10 Scheduled backup
            philmodjunk

The only work around that I'm aware of is to use a system level script to manipulate your backed up files and directories.

Filemaker Inc. claims that this will work, but I have not been successful in implementing this for myself so far.

I've been trying to create a VB Script to copy my backed up files across the network from my Windows Server 2003 but have not been able to get the script to run as a scheduled script even though the script runs correctly when I execute it manually and even though a simpler VB Script does run correctly when I schedule it.

I've reported this as a bug with full documentation, but so far there's been no response from FM Inc.

• 3. Re: FMS 10 Scheduled backup
              MikeyG79
                 We do this, and it works fine.
              • 4. Re: FMS 10 Scheduled backup
                philmodjunk

And run the script from an FMS 10 schedule?

TSgal has just informed me that FMS 10 scheduled system scripts can't copy data to networked drives. She also pointed me to the knowledge base article http://filemaker.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/filemaker.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=7001 that explains this and gives a work around.

The work around is to use windows task scheduler to schedule the script instead of FMS.

• 5. Re: FMS 10 Scheduled backup
                  MikeyG79

FMS scheduler isn't what it should be.

FMS can't copy to network drives - a major programming miss there...

We use Windows scheduler and it hasn't let us down yet.

Wait till people find the power of real SQL databases. 

• 6. Re: FMS 10 Scheduled backup
                    AndreasT

As far as I can tell, this has not been changed in FMS 11.

It is a real pain for me as I have cron scripts which copies each file from this backup to diffrerent client's folders on a local machine.

Now, since the backup folder has a new timestamp each time, I will have to find a way to find the files inside this folder structure.

A simple check box to disable the folder structure in a schedule would be nice. it does mean that you can not keep more than 1 backup set of this schedule, but that is fine.

In general, I think new features are nice, but I would prefer to be able to turn them off if they change how a product works from earlier versions.