7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2012 4:39 PM by philmodjunk

FMS 11 Backup to a Remote Volume on Win7

FM_Rookie

Title

FMS 11 Backup to a Remote Volume on Win7

Your post

I am using FM Server 11 on ComputerA (Windows Pro) & trying to backup files on ComputerB (Window 7 Ultimate).

I understand that backup to a network drive is NOT available with FMS 11 for OSX, but IS for Windows.  In fact, I believe we had it set up for this prior to a hardware upgrade (all new CPU boxes).  But, I can't get it to "validate" on the network drive.  It seems to be such a "none issue" that there is no mention of it on this forum or the internet, accept that it can be done.

I have tried to map a network drive... no good.  I have tried to type in the network address... no good (filewin:/ComputerB/Data/).  I am being careful to put in the "/" at the end.  What am I doing wrong?  Is there a folder permission I need to do on the destination computer (NOT a server).  If so, what would it be?

Thanks for any help

• 1. Re: FMS 11 Backup to a Remote Volume on Win7
          philmodjunk

I understand that backup to a network drive is NOT available with FMS 11 for OSX, but IS for Windows.

You are mistaken. You cannot back up to an external location on either OS system.

What you CAN do is use a system script or 3rd party backup program to back up the backup folder to an external location. I use a simple VBScript on my server--run from Windows Task Manager to do exactly that.

• 2. Re: FMS 11 Backup to a Remote Volume on Win7
            FM_Rookie

If this is so, FileMaker should update it's notice posted on 12/2/2011 to include ALL installations of FMS.  (see: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5580/~/mac-os-x-only%3A-cannot-backup-to-a-remote-volume).

Otherwise, there's a false hope & much wasted time looking for the solution.  (It also means I have to encrypt another hard drive per our organization's security policy).

Anyone else know the "Official FM" stance?

• 3. Re: FMS 11 Backup to a Remote Volume on Win7
              philmodjunk

I see what you mean by that title, but believe me, this doesn't work in windows either.

It seems quite clear in the body of the KB article:

Regardless of the platform, we highly recommend that the files be backed up through FileMaker Server locally on a hard drive connected directly to the machine. Once this is done you can then copy the newly backed up files to a remote volume using a process external to FileMaker Server.

• 4. Re: FMS 11 Backup to a Remote Volume on Win7

FM_Rookie:

Thank you for the post.

PhilModJunk is correct. 

KB article 7035, "Import/Export Script on FileMaker Server" also states: 

"FileMaker Server can only Import from and Export to the following locations:

•           When using the Import Records script step or Export Records script step in a FileMaker Server scheduled script, keep the following in mind:

•           Any specified file must be in the Documents folder, the temporary folder, or a child folder of either the Documents folder or the temporary folder. For example, the following are all valid paths for file.csv:

<Documents>/file.csv
                     <Temporary Path>/file.csv
                     <Documents>/Folder1/file.csv
                     <Temporary Path>/Folder1/Folder2/Folder3/Folder4/file.csv"

The full knowledge base article can be found here: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7035/

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: FMS 11 Backup to a Remote Volume on Win7
                  philmodjunk

TS_Falcon,

what do locations for importing and exporting records have to do with scheduled backups?

• 6. Re: FMS 11 Backup to a Remote Volume on Win7

PhilModJunk:

Thank you for the reply.

The article is not only for importing and exporting records, but applies to FileMaker Server's export of any file, including but not limited to the backup files. I wanted to clarify that even if the goal is to move the backup file (from its valid backed-up location) to a networked drive, that a FileMaker Server Script cannot write to that location. 

FileMaker Pro on the other hand is able to.

TSFalcon
                         FileMaker, Inc.
                    • 7. Re: FMS 11 Backup to a Remote Volume on Win7
                      philmodjunk

As can a system script as long as it is not perfomed by server, but instead by an OS level sheduling tool such as Windows Task Manager.