1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2011 11:49 AM by ClickWorks

FMS 11 Database server not available after install

AndreasT

Title

FMS 11 Database server not available after install

Your post

Hello.

I have trouble installing FMS 11.0.2.217 on a Windows 2003 Server SP2 machine. 

The Admin Console will not start, it reports that the database server is not available and offers to restart it, which produces another error that it cannot be started.

However, the  database server IS running as I can connect from FM Pro to the Sample database.

I have verified that the FileMaker Server service is running as well as the two server processes and the server admin process.

I hare tried to repair, uninstall, and reinstall with restarts in between. Same problem.

Trying to use fmsadmin from the command line does not work either, fmsadmin is not recognized as a command.

Running the Admin console from a remote machine does not work either. Same error.

I need to use the Admin Console to configure the server, so if anyone have any advice, I would be grateful.

• 1. Re: FMS 11 Database server not available after install
          philmodjunk

Is Java installed on this machine? What version?

• 2. Re: FMS 11 Database server not available after install

AndreasT:

Thanks for posting!

How many network cards do you have in this server? If more than one, try disabling all but the main one and rebooting.

TSBear

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: FMS 11 Database server not available after install
              AndreasT

Thanks guys for your replies.

Java was installed by the FMS installer and versions 1.6.0_22 and 1.6.0_20 both show up as enabled under the User tab in the Java control panel. Under the System tab only version 1.6.0_22 is shown and it is enabled.

I have tried to disable either one, but the changes in this panel are not saved and both stay enabled.

There is only one network controller in the machine and it is an ethernet card.

Cheers,

Andreas

• 4. Re: FMS 11 Database server not available after install
                AndreasT

Updated Java to version 1.6.0_23, but it did not help. It replaced version _22, but not version _20.

Tried to delete the temp files and redownload the Java app from the FMS start page, but it did not help either. Server still reported as unavailable.

Cheers,

Andreas

• 5. Re: FMS 11 Database server not available after install

AndreasT:

If possible, I'd like to take a look at some of your logs. Please check your inbox (top of this page) for information on where to send these.

TSBear

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FMS 11 Database server not available after install

AndreasT:

Thanks for sending your logs in.

Is this a dedicated machine? Did you have a previous version of FileMaker Server installed? Try uninstalling FileMaker Server, deleting the FileMaker Server folder (located in C:\Program Files\FileMaker\), rebooting and reinstalling. The data folder (C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\Data) contains all of your databases, backups and scripts so you may want to make a copy and put it somewhere safe for this.

TSBear

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: FMS 11 Database server not available after install
                      AndreasT

Hi and thanks for the reply.

No it is not a dedicated machine, although very little else is going on. It is running MS SQL Server as part of an accounting package. No previous FM software on the machine.

I have sent you screenshots in a PM.

I tried this to no effect:

Uninstalled FMS, All Java versions + runtime and Bonjour. Did not uninstall MS Visual C++ distr. libraries as they may be in use by other programs. Deleted the FMS folder. Emptied the trash. Restarted.
                      Install FMS with Bonjour and Java. Ok.
                      Start Deplyoment - Yes
                      "Please wait while the Admin Server starts" - nothing happens until "The Admin Server Admin Console Start page is not available…" shows up. Another thing that does not work.
                      Tries another restart
                      Admin console now starts and immediately presents the same old message that the server is not available and subsequently can not be started.
                      Tried to uninstall and then reinstall Bonjour from FMS installer with restarts in between. No effect.
                      Tried to download Apple Bonjour Printer setup and install, no effect, though I now know that Bonjour works because I can see printers.

With the logs, screenshots and everything mentioned in my messages, I hope that you are able to pinpoint where the problem is. I find the FMS install process to be very finicky and the whole thing seems fragile with to many technologies involved imo.

I have installed FMS about a dozen times before, and often there is something that causes a problem. Never have I had this issue to be so persistent, though. Usually it is solved with a reinstall, but not this time.

Cheers,

Andreas

• 8. Re: FMS 11 Database server not available after install

AndreasT:

"Please wait while the Admin Server starts" - nothing happens until "The Admin Server Admin Console Start page is not available…" shows up."

That sounds like a Bonjour issue but I'm not sure whether or not Bonjour could be causing the original issue. When you reinstalled, did you get Bonjour directly from Apple or did you allow FileMaker Server to install the version it prefers? Either way, it wouldn't hurt to uninstall Bonjour and reinstall using the appropriate version from FileMaker. Start by removing Bonjour via Add/Remove programs. To get the correct Bonjour installer, open the FileMaker Server 11 installer folder and head to Files and then ISSetupPrerequisites. In there you'll see four folders, one of which will contain the Bonjour.msi or possibly BonjourSetup.msi. Install using that and reboot.

The third party applications on this machine could also be conflicting with installation or launch of FileMaker Server so it's a good idea to try and reinstall with these disabled. The easiest way to do this is through the System Configuration Utility. Go to Start -> Run, type msconfig and click Ok. From there, choose Selective Startup and disable Load Startup Items and Load System Services. Click Apply but don't close quite yet. Instead, click Services, find Bonjour and re-enable it. At this point you can click apply and close and perform the uninstall and reinstall of FileMaker Server.

TSBear

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: FMS 11 Database server not available after install
                          AndreasT

I tried uninstalling Bonjour, installing either Apple or FileMaker supplied Bonjour, nothing makes any difference. Bonjour works as the admin console starts and I can see printers.

Tried disabling all services except Microsoft services (I need those for remote access), Bonjour and FileMaker Server. Disabled all startup programs, which were only a couple of the standard ones anyway.

Uninstalled and reinstalled FMS for the nth time. Restart.

No effect. Same error from Admin Console about server not running. Server responds fine to FM requests from a remote machine so it is clearly operational.

I am at the end of my rope here, and I have removed FileMaker Server from the machine. I will try to convince the client to invest in another server box, but it may be a hard sell.

• 10. Re: FMS 11 Database server not available after install
                            WillLoving

I've been experiencing a similar problem and in my case, when I look in the Task Manager, fmserver, fmhelper and fmadmin are all showing up under processes (though only FileMaker Server appears under Services) indicating that fmadmin IS running. This is a "plain Jane" dedicated Quad-core server at 1and1.com running 64-bit Win Server 2008 R2 and nothing else; no Plesk, no Firewall, nothing.

Solution Found: With FM Tech support I did a test to see if the proper ports were open using the Command Prompt and telnet (you may need to enable telnet first under Windows program features). Using the command prompt enter:

telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 16000

That's "telnet" followed by your IP address and then the main FMS admin port number 16000. If you get an immediate blank screen then it worked, otherwise there is an issue with the port. In my case I had to go into the Security Settings (IPSec) and choose "IP Security Policies on Local Computer". I created a specific rule to allow ports 5003, 16000, 16001 and 16004 to be open on TCP for all IP addresses. I also found a default setting that was blocking ALL TCP traffic and turned that off.

Once those changes were made, entering http://localhost:16000 in a browser window got me to the Admin Console and the normal deployment sequence.

• 11. Re: FMS 11 Database server not available after install
                              AndreasT

Hi Will and thanks for the input.

You may be spot on with your solution, unfortunately I was in a hurry and had to set up another machine and install FMS there to get the system up and running. Hopefully your solution can help others in the future.

Cheers,

Andreas

• 12. Re: FMS 11 Database server not available after install
                                ClickWorks

I'm afraid I must report exactly the same issue, unfortunately without a solution yet. We installed FMS 11.0.2.217 on a Windows 2008 R2 64-bit server and also tried installing on another server with Windows 2003 SP2 32-bit.

W've been trying everything suggested here: java updates, port checks, reinstalling FMS, Bonjour and Java, restarting the machine etc...

What we also have in common with AndreasT: on both machines there was a MS-SQLserver-based accounting package named "Cubic" running...

Thanks for any replies.

Joris Aarts -ClickWorks

• 13. Re: FMS 11 Database server not available after install
                                  WillLoving

FileMaker has just released a 11.03 updater for FM Server. I don't know if this will help but it's worth a shot. Also, FileMaker generally gives technical support at no charge for installation issues. TSBear may have additional thoughts to add about your situation, but I would suggest a call to FM Tech support.

• 14. Re: FMS 11 Database server not available after install

clickworks:

As Will Loving mentioned (thanks!), updating to v3 would be recommended. It might also be a good idea to try disabling the third party services you have running, rebooting and attempting to reproduce the issue again.

TSBear

FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next