0 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2010 11:44 AM by cjcj01

FMS 11 Error Reporting - Login errors when using referenced file using File Options: Login Using

cjcj01

Title

FMS 11 Error Reporting - Login errors when using referenced file using File Options: Login Using

Your post

Hi - Am new to FMS would appreciate some help on getting round a FMS server error that keeps getting logged.

I have a database for a client which consists of two files:

1) Main Database File

2) Data File (just contains some layouts)

The two files are linked via External Data Sources.

The second file is set to automatically open using a read only account in File Options > Login Using ... and is referenced by a couple of scripts in the Main Database File.  It all works fine from the user perspective and is quite seamless.

However, each time a user runs one of the scripts which opens the second file, I get an error logged on the server e.g.:

2010-10-11 19:20:42.923 +0100 Warning 661 SERVER9 Client "CLIENTNAME (SERVER9) [192.168.5.244]" authentication failed on database "Data.fp7" using "JohnSmith [fmapp]".

Now from the following URL:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7544/~/poor-performance-and-authentication-failures-when-accessing-files-via-external

It is evident this is happening because Filemaker Pro is authenticating first via the parent file login account (which fails) and then secondly is successful because it logs in using the read only account specified under file options.

But I imagine this wastes some server resources.  Now I can obviously turn off Access logging on the server in the Logging tab, but just wondered if there was another way to make it cleaner as I'd prefer to keep this on to monitor access attempts on the main file.  Thanks for suggestions.