8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2013 12:30 AM by jmw

FMS 12 / FMP 12Advanced Remote Access Question...

NateBeaman

Title

FMS 12 / FMP 12Advanced Remote Access Question...

Your post

I am new to the filemaker scene so I'm hoping I'm simply missing something that's obvious to those more experienced. I'm hosting my database via FMS 12 on a designated windows machine at work and am able to access remotely viea the local IP address (on a MacBook) but when I try to access it from home I can't see the one database I  am hosting.

I've checked / opened port 5003 and every other port for that matter. I've even attempted removing the firewall and anything else that might "block" access to the network.

Anything im missing?

Thanks...

Nate

IMG_3930.jpg

• 1. Re: FMS 12 / FMP 12Advanced Remote Access Question...
          philmodjunk

I don't think that you can "see" the file in the hosts listing. I believe you have to enter the IP address and file name in the box below those panes in order to open the file from outside the local network. And that will only work if you if you have correctly set up port forwarding on your internet router.

• 2. Re: FMS 12 / FMP 12Advanced Remote Access Question...
            NateBeaman

@PhilModJunk

I tried that but neither the DB that i'm hosting or the "FMServer_Sample" default DB opens. I get an error message that says something like...  "The database could not open. Ether it is not hosted (which I know it is) or the host isn't on. (Which is not true either)." Any other thoughts? I guess I need to check the router again but this would be something like the 5th time. 

• 3. Re: FMS 12 / FMP 12Advanced Remote Access Question...
              jmw

Nate, I understand you can access the file at work using a local IP address, can you acces it at work using the internet address?

If you can, I'd say the problem is at your home firewall (or thereabouts) or if you can not, there may be  a problem of forwarding the ports at your work routers to the correct machine. They are apparantly not blocked but may not 'connect' to the FMS machine.

Thing is, if you can connect using a local IP address I am inclined to say that the basic setup of FMS and the database is working fine. As from that router (the one from the local IP address) on towards the FMS machine everything seems okay, you'll want  to verify that the path from the internet towards that router is also okay. Verify that all routers in between redirect their ports to the next router on that path (if there are any, of course). I have had trouble redirecting them directly to the FMS machine, redirecting to the next-in-path does work for me. If there are any routers in between, connect to their local IP address and see if you can access the database from there, I do expect you to see a list of available databases; it is what  I get after all after typing in the IP address. 

There may be other gremlins at work, but this is worth checking. 

• 4. Re: FMS 12 / FMP 12Advanced Remote Access Question...
                NateBeaman

Thanks Jan,

I'll give it a try. :)

Nate

• 5. Re: FMS 12 / FMP 12Advanced Remote Access Question...
                  NateBeaman

Jan,

That was part of the problem and thus lead us to fixing it! Thank you.

Nate

• 6. Re: FMS 12 / FMP 12Advanced Remote Access Question...
                    jmw

Nate, 

You're welcome. And just out of curiosity; what was the problem?

Jan Martin

• 7. Re: FMS 12 / FMP 12Advanced Remote Access Question...
                      NateBeaman

Jan,

Well.... We're not quite out of the woods yet. We "re-forwarded" the port 5003 to our router using a different method and we were able to see it as open using "Port Scan" on the mac net utility. HOWEVER... While we can see the port open, the files are still not showing. I called FM Cust. service and they weren't real sure what's going on either. Right now we're trying to make sure that the switch between the Virtual Machine where FMS is hosted and the router has the port open too. Apparently, the network can show the port open and at the same time block data from flowing someplace else on the "link" - Hoping to have this solved today. Getting frustrating lol!

Nate

• 8. Re: FMS 12 / FMP 12Advanced Remote Access Question...
                        jmw

Nate,

the port being open is one thing, whether or not forwards the data to that port to where you want it to go is a different matter indeed. Apart from that it seems that accessing IP addresses in that chain does not always give access to the files. 

I just tested a few ways of opening a remote database on my (working) connection. When in the Open Remote dialog, enter the IP address to verify as a new Favorite Host and press ok. This way you will get a list of databases in Available Files section. Even though I get the impression that is not consistent; editing the ip address from a valid one to an invalid one sometimes still gives me the list in error... so always create a new host for now and delete when done...

Anyway, I get a list using the server's fixed IP address (10.0.1.100), using my Airport Extreme router's 192.168 address (though not using it's local IP address of 10.0.1.1) and using the cable modem's WAN IP address (this time, not using it's 192.168 address). What I am trying to say is that getting the list seems to depend on which IP address of a router/switch is entered. It does seem to be consistent in that if I get the list, I can open the database, if not then there is no access. 

FYI; my port forwarding is this: cable modem forwards to Airport Extreme at 192.168.178.10, that forwards to the server PC 10.0.1.100, works a treat. Ports forwarded are 80, 16000 and 16001, 5003

It's tricky business, this. Fun what? smiley