6 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2013 12:37 PM by disabled_ntaylor

FMS 12 v4 Error In Automatically Opening Databases when IWP Enabled

TimSiglin

Title

FMS 12 v4 Error In Automatically Opening Databases when IWP Enabled

Your post

Anyone else have this problem?

When I upload a non-IWP-enabled database to FMS/A 12 v4 (uploading from a local computer equipped with FMP/A 12 v4) and choose the checkbox in Database Upload Assistant to automatically open the database upon upload, everything works well: the FMS/A admin console reports it as open, and another copy of FMP/A 12 v4 on a separate machine can access the remote database.

BUT if I follow the same process after enabling IWP on the same file (after stopping / removing the non-IWP version from the server) the Database Upload Assistant reports that the db file has been uploaded and opened successfully. Yet the newly uploaded file is not actually open, and doesn't even show up on the list of db files for FMP/A 12 v4 to open on the separate machine.

The db file can be accessed via IWP, but no amount of cajoling at the Admin Console level (in the form of pausing closing the database, attempting to re-open, etc) will allow the Admin Console to report the database as open—or allow the remote FMP/A 12 v4 user to access the db file remotely. 

I've replicated this over several db files, with no change except for enabling IWP on the db file before uploading it to FMS/A. 

Screenshot attached for the visually motivated.

Screen_Shot_2013-04-25_at_1.07.05_PM.png

• 1. Re: FMS 12 v4 Error In Automatically Opening Databases when IWP Enabled
          TimSiglin

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

• 2. Re: FMS 12 v4 Error In Automatically Opening Databases when IWP Enabled

Tim Siglin:

Thank you for the post and I apologize for the delayed response. 

1. When a new database file is created in FileMaker Pro 12, by default, neither the Pro/Go FileMaker Network Sharing (fmapp) privilege nor the Instant Web Publishing (fmiwp) privilege will be enabled.

2. During the upload to the FileMaker Server if FileMaker Network Sharing was previously turned ON within the database file, then the Pro/Go FileMaker Network Sharing (fmapp) privilege remains enabled.

3. During the upload to the FileMaker Server if FileMaker Instant Web Publishing was previously turned on for the file, then the Instant Web Publishing (fmiwp) remains enabled, but the Pro/Go FileMaker Network Sharing (fmapp) privilege remains disabled.  

4. Lastly, during the upload if neither the Pro/Go FileMaker Network Sharing (fmapp) privilege nor the Instant Web Publishing (fmiwp) were previously enabled and the file is uploaded to FileMaker Server, then by default the FileMaker Network Sharing (fmapp) privilege will be enabled.

The fourth one is because the file being uploaded would otherwise have no access privilege and hence no access. In the screenshot provided, I noticed that BestWorkFlows.fmp12 and the FMP12Test.fmp12 file do not have the FileMaker Network Sharing (fmapp) privilege enabled. The dots indicate the file's access privileges. See the screenshot below. 

The uploaded files in the example given likely fall under option #3 above. For additional information see FileMaker's help About accounts, privilege sets, and extended privileges.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: FMS 12 v4 Error In Automatically Opening Databases when IWP Enabled
              TimSiglin

Hi TSFalcon,

Let me see if I can paraphrase / restate your answer, so that I understand correctly, as what I'm getting still seems to fall outside of point 3.

From the last to the first:

4. If neither the Pro/Go FileMaker Network Sharing (fmapp) privilege nor the Instant Web Publishing (fmiwp) were previously enabled, a file uploaded to FileMaker Server will enable Go/Pro (FileMaker Network Sharing (fmapp) privilege) by default.

That is what I also see when I upload a db file with neither turned on. If I don't check the box to automatically open the db, I then need to right-click the db, after uploading, to open it, which enables the Go/Pro by default

will be enabled.

3. During the upload to the FileMaker Server if FileMaker Instant Web Publishing was previously turned on for the file, then the Instant Web Publishing (fmiwp) remains enabled, but the Pro/Go FileMaker Network Sharing (fmapp) privilege remains disabled.  

That was the process I was going through. Enabling only the IWP sharing based on document http://www.filemaker.com/support/product/docs/12/fmp/fm12_instant_web_publish_en.pdf where it states:

... you enable the Instant Web Publishing feature, then determine which user accounts can access each database from a web browser.

To enable Instant Web Publishing:

1. Open the database.

2. Choose File menu > Sharing Instant Web Publishing to open the Instant Web Publishing dialog box and enable Instant Web Publishing.

I then verified, via IWP from FM Pro/A 12 that the settings worked correctly; they did, so I uploaded the file, with the results mentioned in my initial forum post.

2. During the upload to the FileMaker Server if FileMaker Network Sharing was previously turned ON within the database file, then the Pro/Go FileMaker Network Sharing (fmapp) privilege remains enabled.

Did not do this on the three databases I tested on before my initial post (one of which was brand new "Test" and two of which were updated from FMP/A 11).

I have subsequently turned both Go/Pro FileMaker Network Sharing (fmapp) privilege nor the Instant Web Publishing (fmiwp) on for the same "Test" file from within FMP/A 12, based on what you were describing.

My assumption, then, was that the uploaded "Test" file would have both Go/Pro and IWP enabled, as shown in your image. Yet I still get the same results, where only IWP is enabled once uploaded to FMS/A 12. Any attempt to "open" the db file on the server still results in a lack of Go/Pro access.

• 4. Re: FMS 12 v4 Error In Automatically Opening Databases when IWP Enabled

Tim Siglin:

Thank you for the reply. 

Is the goal to upload the file with both privileges enabled? Are both privileges enabled for at least one account?

1. File > New Database

2. File > Manage > Security

3. Highlight "Admin"

4. Click "Edit…"

5. Click "Edit…" by the "[Full Access]" privilege set

6. Check the box to enable "Access via Instant Web Publishing (fmiwp)"

7. Check the box to enable "Access via FileMaker Network (fmapp)"

8. Click OK. Click OK. Click OK.

9. If prompted to authenticate, then "Allow" and enter the Admin's credentials. 

10. Upload the file to FileMaker Server 12 or FileMaker Server 12 Advanced.

Both privileges now have the dot indicating access in the Admin Console.

Please let me know if I misinterpreted the end goal, or if any of the above steps need further clarification.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: FMS 12 v4 Error In Automatically Opening Databases when IWP Enabled
                  TimSiglin

That clarifies it, thank you. Yes, needed access to both, but I had been attempting to do each manually via the Sharing sub-menu under File based on what the IWP Guide stated to do.

On point 4 of your initial reply (if neither fmapp or fmiwp are enabled before and db file is uploaded to FMS/A 12) which user is being activated upon upload to the Server, in order to automatically turn on the Go/Pro (fmapp) functionality? Admin?

• 6. Re: FMS 12 v4 Error In Automatically Opening Databases when IWP Enabled

Tim Siglin:

Thank you for the reply. 

Yes. If active, then the full access account which by default is named "Admin" will be granted the FileMaker Network Sharing (fmapp) privilege set when uploaded to the FileMaker Server. Any password specified will still be required to gain access to the file.

If the original Admin account is disabled and another full access account is active, then both full access accounts will be granted the FileMaker Network Sharing (fmapp) privilege; however, the first account will still not be able to be used since access to the account is disabled. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.