1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2014 11:22 AM by disabled_ntaylor

FMS 12.06 can't be accessed by more than one client at a time?

GeorginaRead

Title

FMS 12.06 can't be accessed by more than one client at a time?

Your post

Hi,

I have patiently waited for the update to enable me to use FMS on Mavericks - but although I eventually got it work (lots of issues with Java!) I now cannot access the database with more than one client at a time. If I try I get a message saying that another client is using the licence already?

If I revert back to the way i was sharing the file (using Filemaker Network in FM Advanced 12.05), All my clients can connect at the same time.

Any ideas?

Type of license - Shipping, Filemaker Connections - Unrestricted, ODBC/JDBC Clients Connections - Permitted, Number of IWP Connections - 100, Number of CWP Connections - 200

Screen_Shot_2014-02-03_at_14.46.50.png

• 1. Re: FMS 12.06 can't be accessed by more than one client at a time?
          GeorginaRead

Anyone else seen this problem?

• 2. Re: FMS 12.06 can't be accessed by more than one client at a time?
            GeorginaRead

Still can't find an answer to this - really frustrating having a FMS that I can't use, has this not been an issue for anybody else?

• 3. Re: FMS 12.06 can't be accessed by more than one client at a time?

Georgina Read:

Thank you for the posts.

A few more questions to assist us with narrowing this down:

1. Which license is being reported as already in use? 

2. Is the conflict with the FileMaker Server license or the FileMaker Pro client license? 

3. Is the same license key accessing the FileMaker Server from more than one I.P. address?

4. Can you post a screenshot of the error? 

The setting to limit FileMaker Pro connections to the FileMaker Server is located in the Admin Console at:

Configuration > Database Server > FileMaker Clients > "Limit number of FileMaker client connections:" (See screenshot below.)

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FMS 12.06 can't be accessed by more than one client at a time?
                GeorginaRead

Hi,

Thanks for the response - this is really me driving mad!

1. It is reporting that the client license is in use

2. The conflict only occurs when trying to connect to the database whilst it is hosted on the FMS. If I share the database on a client using Filemaker Network, all clients can connect without the error.

3. All clients have unique licenses

4. See below -

I have checked the client connection limit - and it is the same as what you have shown.

Thanks in advance...

• 5. Re: FMS 12.06 can't be accessed by more than one client at a time?

Georgina Read:

Thank you for the reply.

The only reason for this error is that the FileMaker Server sees the same license key connecting twice from two different I.P. addresses.

Two possible ways this could occur:

1. The license key installed to Ben Read (Ben's Office iMac) is installed on more than one computer and both computers are accessing the server from two different I.P. addresses at the same time. 

2. Ben Read (Ben's Office iMac) is accessing the database server from both the Internal and External I.P. at the same time, so FileMaker Server sees his license key connected twice.

Does the error message always say the conflict is with Ben Read (Ben's Office iMac) at that I.P. address (192.168.1.156) or do other computer names or I.P. addresses appear in the message?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FMS 12.06 can't be accessed by more than one client at a time?
                    GeorginaRead

Hi,

I really don't understand this!

I have checked all licence numbers and all are unique on all clients (8 in total), the clients only connect via internal I.P. The error appears no matter which clients I try to connect to the server at the same time. I still have no errors when connecting the same multiple clients to a database shared on a client via Filemaker Network.

Regards

• 7. Re: FMS 12.06 can't be accessed by more than one client at a time?

Georgina Read:

Thank you for the reply.

From one client machine, can you perform the following test?

1. File > Open Remote 

2. View: Local Hosts > Select [your server I.P.]

3. Select FMServer_Sample > Click "Open"

Does opening the FMServer_Sample.fmp12 file via this method report an error or conflict? If not, repeat the steps above with a second client computer, then a third. 

If opening that file using the Open Remote dialog does not produce an error; however, your other files do, then what method are you using to open those files? A launcher file? A script? 

Can you spot a difference in my steps and yours that would help me reproduce?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: FMS 12.06 can't be accessed by more than one client at a time?
                        GeorginaRead

Hi,

I'm working on this. I re-installed FMS as my Sample.fmp12 had vanished. The Mac will now not login on startup. Are you aware of any issues regarding FMS 12.06 installing on Mavericks Server as this happened when I first installed this and it took me a while to sort before?

George 

• 9. Re: FMS 12.06 can't be accessed by more than one client at a time?

Georgina Read:

Thank you for the reply.

Software Update: FileMaker Server 12.0v6 and FileMaker Server 12.0v6 Advanced release notes

The above article contains "Installation Instructions (OS X 10.9 and OS X 10.9 with OS X Server)." I am not aware of any known issues with either configuration.

If you follow the instructions in the article to uninstall and reinstall, then this will reinstall the FMServer_Sample for testing.

"The Mac will now not login on startup."

Do you mean that automatic login is disabled? Are you referencing the Mac OS X login or the FileMaker Server Admin Console login?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: FMS 12.06 can't be accessed by more than one client at a time?
                            GeorginaRead

Hi,

I have read the article, but cannot see any specific mention of Mavericks running OS X Server. Basically the issue is that once I have installed FMS Server, once I restart the Mac I cannot get past the login screen in Mavericks. This happened the first time I installed and I put it down to bad luck - but exactly the same has happened this time, surely no coincidence?

I have been having a few issues with OS X Server on this Mac - so I have moved all services onto another, and I am going to start again. Once I have installed OS X server again I will install FMS - of hopefully this will eliminate any other influences that may be causing the initial problem I posted about!

Also it should highlight if there is an issue once FMS has been installed for the first time on a Mac running Mavericks and OS X Server.

Watch this space!

• 11. Re: FMS 12.06 can't be accessed by more than one client at a time?

Georgina Read:

Thank you for the reply.

In the first section of the article linked above, KB13131 states, “Installation Instructions (OS X 10.9 and OS X 10.9 with OS X Server),” appearing just below the table; however, please note the OS X Server.app is not required for FileMaker Server 12 (Advanced) and FileMaker Inc. recommends a dedicated machine. 

Installation on Mac OS X 10.9 or Mac OS X 10.9 Server is tested, but since regular Mac OS X 10.9 contains all the necessary components to install and run FileMaker Server 12 (Advanced), then that would be the more dedicated of the two installation options. 

"I have been having a few issues with OS X Server on this Mac"

Perhaps, this situation warrants a call to AppleCare. FileMaker Server relies on the operating system (in your case Mac OS X) to function.

"Basically the issue is that once I have installed FMS Server, once I restart the Mac I cannot get past the login screen in Mavericks."

I would contact AppleCare because I am not able to replicate this. The FileMaker Server installation does not alter the admin account, the account's password, or the default automatic login settings for Mac OS X. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: FMS 12.06 can't be accessed by more than one client at a time?
                                GeorginaRead

Hi,

I have setup the server from scratch. I re-formatted the hard drive and installed a new copy of Mavericks 10.9.1. I have then installed FMS 12.06 and updated the java to the latest. FMS is running ok BUT...when I try to connect with more than 1 client at a time to the FMServer_Sample.fmp12 I still get the same message!

Not sure what to do next - is it likely there is something wrong with the client licenses?...unlikely I know -but I can't think what else it could be....

BTW  - I am a Mac Consultant, so I know my way around the Mac - but not so hot on FileMaker!

• 13. Re: FMS 12.06 can't be accessed by more than one client at a time?
                                  Markus Schneider

just for testing:

- create a brand-new database, simple one with one or two fields on one of the clients. Set sharing to 'on' for all users

- connect to this db from some of the other clients

-> working?

If not: Check Your  licence - is it a VLA or are there single licencies? VLA would be a licence agreement with some papers, one of them is with a licence key - for all clients

• 14. Re: FMS 12.06 can't be accessed by more than one client at a time?
                                    GeorginaRead

Hi,

I have done this with the database that I am trying to share on the FMS. If I copy this onto a client and share, everything is fine - all users can connect. It is ONLY when I try connecting the same clients to the same database on FMS that I have the problem.

1 2 Previous Next