5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2014 1:45 PM by disabled_ntaylor

FMS 12.0v3 on 10.6.8 Server - can't open Admin Console due to java

alternapop

Title

FMS 12.0v3 on 10.6.8 Server - can't open Admin Console due to java

Your post

I have Filemaker Pro Server 12.0v3 installed on an OSX 10.6.8 Server.

All Apple updates have been installed.

Java version is 1.6.0_65-b14

I followed the directions here and ran the script but the Console still won't open.  What can I do to fix this?

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11958/kw/java%20and%20admin%20console

Thanks

• 1. Re: FMS 12.0v3 on 10.6.8 Server - can't open Admin Console due to java
          jkova

Sam issue here. I have tried everything. But as i can see also FIleMaker does not know an answer.

• 2. Re: FMS 12.0v3 on 10.6.8 Server - can't open Admin Console due to java
            TSGal

alternapop and John Smith:

Thank you for your posts.

Knowledge Base Article #11958 also mentions that if you are still having difficulty after executing all 10 steps, then contact our Technical Support department directly, as there are a number of things our Technical Support department can go over with you.  If you are in North America, call toll-free 800-325-2747.  If outside of North America, contact the FileMaker office nearest you.

TSGal
                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: FMS 12.0v3 on 10.6.8 Server - can't open Admin Console due to java

alternapop & John Smith:

Thank you for the posts and I apologize for the delay.

After following the instructions in KB11958, I am able to successfully launch and deploy FileMaker Server 12.0v3 (Advanced) using the FileMaker Server Admin Console application on Mac OS X 10.6.8 (Server).

Some additional questions to assist us in further narrowing this down:

1. How far do you get in the process of trying to launch the Admin Console? 

2. What browsers were tried?

3. When you visit http://<serverIP>>:16000 are you able to access the FileMaker Server start page? 

4. Does the .jnlp file download?

Being able to launch the FileMaker Server Admin Console is a free topic through FileMaker's technical support, so please don't hesitate to call as we always want a user to be able to administer his/her server. 

If you are located in the U.S. or Canada, then contact technical support toll free at 1-800-325-2747. The hours are between 7 AM - 5 PM PDT. 

If you are located outside of North America, then locate the technical support office nearest you from the following link:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/intl/

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FMS 12.0v3 on 10.6.8 Server - can't open Admin Console due to java
                alternapop

I followed the instructions by downloading the patch and running it.  It does modify the two files successfully with "headless=true -s".   The console still fails.

I tried the next step from the pdf, manually starting tomcat, and that fails:

http://help.filemaker.com/ci/fattach/get/88600/0/filename/Detailed+Instructions.pdf

"clsfilemakertest:bin isunit$ sudo ./startup.sh -u fmserver

Using CATALINA_BASE:   ..

Using CATALINA_HOME:   ../../../Common/Tomcat

Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: ../temp

Using JRE_HOME:       /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/CurrentJDK/Home

Using CLASSPATH:       :../../../Common/Tomcat/bin/bootstrap.jar:../../../Common/Tomcat/bin/commons-logging-api.jar

Using CATALINA_PID:    /tmp/catalina.pid

clsfilemakertest:bin isunit$ Listening for transport dt_socket at address: 3999

usage: java org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina [ -config {pathname} ] [ -nonaming ]  { -help | start | stop }

clsfilemakertest:bin isunit$ 2014-01-07 11:26:40,136 [main] ComponentBaseThread - connectToEventHub() caught a TRANSIENT exception: Retries exceeded, couldn't reconnect to 127.0.0.1:5013

2014-01-07 11:26:40,137 [main] FMSAdminLib - connect() fails to connect to 127.0.0.1, error = ServerUnavailable

2014-01-07 11:26:40,137 [main] Falcon - connect(), cannot establish a connection to the server, error = ServerUnavailable

2014-01-07 11:26:40,139 [main] DBSAgent - logOnServer() connection fails FMSError=ServerUnavailable

2014-01-07 11:26:40,181 [main] DBSConfigurationManager - initialize() cannot get an instance of the DBSAgent.

[Fatal Error] :-1:-1: Premature end of file."

Additionally, I didn't do step 2 because step 1 above failed... but step 2 mentions  "cwpe-tomcat/bin".    My "cwpe-tomcat" folder only has a "logs" directory... there isn't a "bin" folder.   The jwpc-tomcat folder has a bin directory though.

To answer your other questions:
                     1.  the Admin Console does open now and lets me login but the database engine fails to run
                     2.  Safari locally on the server, Chrome remotely
                     3.  it wasn't working before running the first terminal command above but is working now.  it still won't start the db engine.
                     4.  yes, the jnlp file downloads

so basically I can now login to the console but the db engine fails to start no matter how I access it.
                • 5. Re: FMS 12.0v3 on 10.6.8 Server - can't open Admin Console due to java

alternapop:

Thank you for your reply.

I apologize you are still having issues. Please contact the technical support office closest to you for further assistance running the patch.

If you are located in the U.S. or Canada, then contact technical support toll free at 1-800-325-2747. The hours are between 7 AM - 5 PM PDT. 

If you are located outside of North America, then locate the technical support office nearest you from the following link:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/intl/

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.