11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2016 4:16 AM by carlsson

FMS 13 backup schedules - not a valid path

wjackson

Title

FMS 13 backup schedules - not a valid path

Your post

Using FMS 13.0v5 on Windows Server 2012 R2. I cannot make a local drive (D:) a backup path for any schedule. I have tried changing existing schedules as well as creating new ones. The drive's properties show that SYSTEM has all permissions. I am testing using a simple path: filewin:/D:/

FMS_13_schedule.jpg

• 1. Re: FMS 13 backup schedules - not a valid path

Wayne Jackson:

Thank you for the post.

Before scheduling a backup to a folder, using the Admin Console, go to Database Server > Folders > Backup Folder.

Create a folder on the D:/ drive. Try to validate the path to the new folder. If the path validates, then backups should now be able to be scheduled to that location. 

Additionally, here is a useful knowledge base article: 

Specifying a valid backup or database folder path.

Please let me know if any of the above requires additional clarification. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMS 13 backup schedules - not a valid path
            wjackson

Thank you TSFalcon. The strange part is, that I have been through the part you described before. I went to Database Server > Folders > Backup Folder and tried to use this same drive. At first, for days we got invalid path errors. Then one day we tried to put the path in again and it randomly worked. So, that same drive is now recognized as a valid path under Backup Folder, but only after some strange errors.

However, when creating a new schedule or editing an existing one, I cannot get FileMaker to recognize the D: drive as a valid path. I was able to reproduce this on another server, as well.

• 3. Re: FMS 13 backup schedules - not a valid path

Wayne Jackson:

Thank you for the reply.

If the D:/ drive is not recognized as a valid path, is a folder on the D:/ drive recognized? 

Though unrelated, I should mentioned that Windows Server 2012 R2 is not tested to be compatible with FileMaker Server 13. If possible, the recommendation would be to move the installation to Windows Server 2012 Standard. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FMS 13 backup schedules - not a valid path
                wjackson

No folders work on the D: drive either. I have seen this same problem on our other server, which is Windows Server 2012 (not R2). We are using the latest updates for FMS 13. We have also tried reinstalling FMS and it did not fix the problem.

• 5. Re: FMS 13 backup schedules - not a valid path

Wayne Jackson:

Thank you for the reply.

Was the D:/ drive a local drive to the FileMaker Server computer? 

Is FileMaker Server installed to the C:/ drive? Does a folder on the C:/ drive successfully validate? 

You stated this “randomly worked,” do you see any differences between the drives that validate and those that didn’t?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FMS 13 backup schedules - not a valid path
                    wjackson

The D: drive is local. FMS is installed on the C: drive and all folders validate correctly.

The D: drive would not validate for me when trying to make it the default backup folder. Using the same path, and just trying again as time went on, the path eventually validated.

• 7. Re: FMS 13 backup schedules - not a valid path
                      ChicagoJay

I didn't see a definitive answer here, but I ran into the same problem when we upgraded from FMS 12 to 14.  I hadn't seen the progressive backup feature before, so I set it to be a subfolder of the Backups folder.  Apparently, you can't do that.

Once I moved the progressive backups to a different folder (I created a new folder, called Progressive, at the same level as Backups) then I was able to validate the path.

The article that TSFalcon linked says explicitly:

• Do not put the default backup folder in the same folder as the databases to be hosted, or in a subfolder within that folder. Any databases in that folder are automatically opened when FileMaker Server starts. The backup folder also cannot be a parent or a subfolder of the default database folder, an additional database folder, the progressive backup folder, or the Scripts folder.

RTFM, right?  :/

--
                      Jay Duff, ACMT

Network Administrator

Mannheim School District 83

Franklin Park, IL

• 8. Re: FMS 13 backup schedules - not a valid path
                        scottworld

We were also having problems with FileMaker Server 15.0v2 on Windows Server 2012 R2 not recognizing an external drive (for either normal backups nor progressive backups).

FileMaker Server 15 kept giving us this error message: "Not A Valid Path".

The answer for us was the following:

1. Format the external drive as NTFS, not exFAT.

2. Turns out that FileMaker Server will only backup to a folder within the external drive, NOT the root level of the external drive. So we created a folder called "Backups" at the root level of the external drive, and then FileMaker Server recognized that as a valid path. An example of a valid path for us was this:

filewin:/H:/Backups/

• 9. Re: FMS 13 backup schedules - not a valid path
                          carlsson

I am going crazy, trying to define another backup folder than the default one!

The default folder works and is specified as:

filemac:/fm2 hd/Library/FileMaker Server/Data/Backups/

But, I also want a backup to a folder which is located inside the user Admin folder on the server, which is:

filemac:/fm2 hd/Users/Admin/Documents/fmbackup/

That does not work if I set this folder in a schedule.

So, in the FM Server Admin Console I went to Database Server > Folders and tried to "Enable additional database folder 1".

Still doesn't work. It won't accept my path.

WTF am I doing wrong?

And why is this so hard? Shouldn't it be easier if we could *choose* the folder with a normal dialogue, as a normal application?

I have read the manual as well, didn't give me any answers...

• 10. Re: FMS 13 backup schedules - not a valid path
                            wimdecorte

More than likely you need to set the permissions on that 'fmbackup' folder correctly.  Owner should be 'fmserver' of group 'fmsadmin'.  With the proper read and write privs.

You can do this from Terminal with the chown and chmod commands.  Or you can use a utility like BatchMod.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: FMS 13 backup schedules - not a valid path
                              carlsson

That did it. Thanks!