8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2011 10:29 PM by Malcolm

FMS Error 956: Maximum number of database sessions exceeded

gzasuwa

Title

FMS Error 956: Maximum number of database sessions exceeded

Your post

Everytime I restart my FMS10 (like once a month to refresh), the Error 956 appears.  Console log on the FMS10 server is clear, no errors reported.  This is for web published databases.  I am using Lasso to publish.  FMS10 is a single machine deployment, FMS, Web Publishing Engine are on one machine.  If I reboot the box, everything is fine.  But I feel tormented that I can not resolve what is causing the issue by other than rebooting.  I feel that one day, that is not going to work either.  This error occurs and no one is even logged on any database other than Lasso.  FMS10 is on a private network(192.168.1.100) to my Apache and Lasso web server.  Other than this error, the system runs like clockwork day in and day out.

Anyone know of a solution or where I can look? 

Gary Z 

• 1. Re: FMS Error 956: Maximum number of database sessions exceeded
          TSGal

GaryZ:

Thank you for your post.

Are you viewing the event log in Console?  Anything displayed in the web logs?  Is there a Lasso log that tells you what files are being opened?  If you also have Instant Web Publishing turned on, what are the settings for maximum number of connections?  I know that you are hosting your files using Lasso, but if you turn off Lasso, do you still get the problem?

Any other settings you can provide may be helpful?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: FMS Error 956: Maximum number of database sessions exceeded
            gzasuwa
               The Console is virtually blank concerning this issue.  There are no network messages concerning drops or 'can't connect'  errors to specific IP's.  I examined the logs in FMS10 and they are empty also.  No warnings either.  Instant web publishing is off.  Everything looks perfectly normal and I have a single machine FMS10 deployment.  If I google this there isn't much out there and if there is it is mostly 2 machine setups that see the problem.  Could it possibly be that I have another test system on the network with the same license that is confusing FMS10?  I have one license but it says it is a volume license.  Does that mean I can deploy on as many machines as I want?  I have one machine in production and the other on is for test.
            • 3. Re: FMS Error 956: Maximum number of database sessions exceeded
              MichaelDG

I see no that there has been no response to this problem for a while.

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents. This problem just started for me a couple weeks ago. No changes to the configuration in FileMaker Server. But whenever I have an update from Apple (we are running Xserver 10.5.8) and I restart the web publishing engine doesn't get started. It's set to publish at startup. So I have to manually tell it start. Something about tomcat and a couple of access errors I will have to look into. Unless a genius here wants to jump in. By the way, this is FileMaker 10 Server. I am planning to upgrade to 11 any day now. Maybe that will fix it. But it would be nice to know what's going on.

2010-03-18 10:26:46 Web Server Error [0172:0000] [error] ajp_service::jk_ajp_common.c (1953): (wpc1) Connecting to tomcat failed. Tomcat is probably not started or is listening on the wrong port
              2010-03-18 10:26:46 Web Server Error [0172:0000] [error] ajp_service::jk_ajp_common.c (1953): (wpc2) Connecting to tomcat failed. Tomcat is probably not started or is listening on the wrong port
              2010-03-18 10:26:56 Web Server Error [0254:0000] [error] ajp_service::jk_ajp_common.c (1953): (wpc1) Connecting to tomcat failed. Tomcat is probably not started or is listening on the wrong port
              2010-03-18 10:26:58 Web Server Error [0254:0000] [error] ajp_service::jk_ajp_common.c (1953): (wpc2) Connecting to tomcat failed. Tomcat is probably not started or is listening on the wrong port
              2010-03-18 10:26:58 Web Server Error [0172:0000] [error] ajp_service::jk_ajp_common.c (1953): (wpc1) Connecting to tomcat failed. Tomcat is probably not started or is listening on the wrong port
              2010-03-18 10:26:58 Web Server Error [0172:0000] [error] ajp_service::jk_ajp_common.c (1953): (wpc2) Connecting to tomcat failed. Tomcat is probably not started or is listening on the wrong port
              2010-03-18 10:27:36 Web Server Error [0172:0000] [error] ajp_service::jk_ajp_common.c (1953): (wpc1) Connecting to tomcat failed. Tomcat is probably not started or is listening on the wrong port
              2010-03-18 10:27:38 Web Server Error [0172:0000] [error] ajp_service::jk_ajp_common.c (1953): (wpc2) Connecting to tomcat failed. Tomcat is probably not started or is listening on the wrong port
              2010-03-18 10:27:45 Web Server Error [2456:0000] [error] ajp_service::jk_ajp_common.c (1953): (wpc1) Connecting to tomcat failed. Tomcat is probably not started or is listening on the wrong port
              2010-03-18 10:27:45 Web Server Error [2456:0000] [error] ajp_service::jk_ajp_common.c (1953): (wpc2) Connecting to tomcat failed. Tomcat is probably not started or is listening on the wrong port
              2010-03-18 10:28:44 Web Server Error [0172:0000] [error] ajp_service::jk_ajp_common.c (1953): (wpc1) Connecting to tomcat failed. Tomcat is probably not started or is listening on the wrong port
              2010-03-18 10:28:44 Web Server Error [0172:0000] [error] ajp_service::jk_ajp_common.c (1953): (wpc2) Connecting to tomcat failed. Tomcat is probably not started or is listening on the wrong port
              2010-03-18 10:31:02 Publishing Engine Access Error 127.0.0.1:61905 - - "/fmi/conf/config.wpc?-xml_enabled=yes&-php_enabled=yes&-xslt_enabled=yes&-language=eng&-iwp_enabled=no" 401 0

2010-03-18 10:31:04 Publishing Engine Access Error 127.0.0.1:61913 - - "/fmi/conf/config.wpc" 401 0

• 4. Re: FMS Error 956: Maximum number of database sessions exceeded
                zasuwa_1

BTW - what is the terminal command you use to kick-start web publishing?

Is it just the in the FMS10 Server Admin Console where you stop and start Web Publishing?

GaryZ

• 5. Re: FMS Error 956: Maximum number of database sessions exceeded
                  MichaelDG

Don't know about that. I had to go to the FileMaker Admin Console Server, in upper left corner to FileMaker Server Overview, then on the mid right is a link to the Edit Server Deployment. Then start the web publishing all over with that assistant. Took a minute and everything is back to normal.

Until I reboot I suppose.

• 6. Re: FMS Error 956: Maximum number of database sessions exceeded
                    TSGal

GaryZ:

Sorry for the late reply.

I don't have an idea what is occurring on your machine.  I was hoping the log files would provide a clue.  If you are still having a problem, I would like all of your log files, including the tomcat and catalina files.  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - envelope icon just below the blue horizontal bar) with instructions where to send the files.

MichaelDIG:

Thank you for your posts.

There have been a few similar reports of this occurring after a Mac OS update.  I saw these error messages on one of our servers months ago, and a simple reboot fixed the problem.  In some of those user cases, an uninstall and reinstall of FileMaker Server corrected the problem.  The cause of this error has not been found at this time.

If you are moving to FileMaker Server 11, please inform everyone if the problem persists.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: FMS Error 956: Maximum number of database sessions exceeded
                      gzasuwa

I am still struggling with the error 956 upon reboot.  I have to logon to the server and stop and restart Web Publishing in order for this error to disappear.  After that the system runs very smoothly.  Are there any solutions to this issue?  As stated earlier I have FMS10.  It scares the heck out of me when it happens since this is a very important medical software application that is relied on very heavily.  If the system can not be relied upon to start properly it creates chaos.   Will upgrading to FMS11 make a difference?

• 8. Re: FMS Error 956: Maximum number of database sessions exceeded
                        Malcolm

We had this problem too, on an xserve running Mac OS X server 10.5.8 and FMSA 10. 

The most obvious symptom is that PHP connections are visible in the list of connected clients. PHP connections are meant to be dropped straight away. If you have any PHP connections in your clients list more than a few minutes old you can suspect trouble. 

The problem was resolved by applying all java updates to the server.