6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2009 1:24 AM by DNW

FMS v9.0.3 Admin Console Not Opening

DNW

Title

FMS v9.0.3 Admin Console Not Opening

Your post

Hi there,

When typing into my browser http://{FMS9.IP.Address}:16000/ the launch page seemingly starts to load but after a few minutes times out and gives the message "Safari could not connect to the server". I have been using the console without any problems since installation almost a month ago. Last time I used it was yesterday afternoon.

I'm using Mac OS X 10.5.6, Safari 3.2.1, Java J2SE 5.0. FileMaker Server Version 9.0.3 on OS X Server 10.5.6.

Everything else is working fine; users can open databases as normal, i can access the server using screen sharing, (no luck opening admin console from here either), the machine replies to ping's, etc. I can even access the help files at: http://{FMS9.IP.Address}:16000/admin-help/en/

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!! 

• 1. Re: FMS v9.0.3 Admin Console Not Opening
          rmanook

Hi DNW, 

Thanks for posting.

Were there any changes to the host machine in that given time about a month ago? (hostname, updates, etc.) 

Also, are you attempting to connect to the Admin Console locally on the host machine or from a remote machine?  If remote, see if the issue applies when local (launching a web browser on that host machine).

Also, verify in the Utilities > Network Utility > Port Scan that ports 16000 and 160001 are open on the host and client machine and any hardware in between (router, switch, etc.)

Let me know how it works out.

Thanks!

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: FMS v9.0.3 Admin Console Not Opening
            DNW

Hi tsturtle,

Thanks for your suggestions.

No. I administer the machine and have not installed any updates or changed hostnames, etc.

I have tried accessing the console locally (using localhost, 127.0.0.1 and {server ip} as addresses) and the same thing happens. I have also tried from several other machines on the premises (running OSX 10.4 and 10.5) and still no luck.

I have run the Port Scan on my machine querying the server and it says 16000 and 16001 are open. I also ran the Port Scan on the server querying my machine and it returns no open ports, is this correct?

regards,

DNW 

• 3. Re: FMS v9.0.3 Admin Console Not Opening
              rmanook

Hey DNW -

The 16000 and 16001 on the host machine are good to go.  Can we also verify if port 16004 is open on the host machine?  

For the client machines, they all should have 16000 and 16004 open to properly connect.  Let's try opening them and see if we are successful.

Keep me posted!

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: FMS v9.0.3 Admin Console Not Opening
                DNW

Hi tsturtle,

16004 is closed. I scanned from 16000 to 16020; Ports 16000, 16001, 16012, 16016 and 16018 are open

Sorry to be stupid but how do I open those ports on the client machines? 

Cheers,

DNW 

• 5. Re: FMS v9.0.3 Admin Console Not Opening
                  rmanook

Hi DNW - 

In Leopard client, they removed the ability to directly manage ports in the GUI :(  There may be a way to do this via Terminal but I am unaware of it.

Are you currently running the Mac Firewall?  Try the following: go to Apple > System Preferences > Security > FireWall > Click the Set access for specific services and applications radio button and then add the Admin Console jnpg file.  Try launching the Admin Console now with this option selected and then with the Allow all incoming connections selected.

Thanks,

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: FMS v9.0.3 Admin Console Not Opening
                    DNW

Hi tsturtle,

I've just got off the phone with a FileMaker tech support guy. After checking the ports, etc he suggested I restart the server (the whole machine, not just FMS) .... it worked!!!

He says this has happened to other customers before but they are yet to find the problem and are therefore also unable to fix it.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Ian