5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2012 11:34 AM by JohnWolcott

FMS WARNING wpe1  WPE Component is not responding

JohnWolcott

Title

FMS WARNING wpe1  WPE Component is not responding

Your post

For the last few months, when I open the Admin Server Consol on a Windows 7 (64 bit) desktop, the IWP section of the FileMaker Server Overview screen comes up with a red bar at the top of the block of services running, and there is a red dot for the Web Publishing Engine.  Also the icon for starting IWP is available, but clicking on it doesn't seem to do anything.   I have installed the version11.0.3 update, and I have restarted the adminserver several times.  Every time I restart the admin server from the command line (fmsadmin restart adminserver), I receive an email with the error message  

Some problems were detected in the WPE COMPONENT: COMPONENT IS NOT RESPONDING.

Previously, rebooting the server solved the problem.  Now even that does not fix it.  Interestingly, IWP seems to be working fine, meaning people can access database files using fmi/iwp URL.  How can I turn that red dot to green?

• 1. Re: FMS WARNING wpe1  WPE Component is not responding
          TSGal

JohnWolcott:

Thank you for your post.

Since Instant Web Publishing is working, there appears to be something wrong with the deployment.  I have seen this occur one other time, and after many troubleshooting steps, redeployment of FileMaker Server fixed the issue.  Therefore, I would start fresh and redeploy FileMaker Server.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMS WARNING wpe1  WPE Component is not responding
            mamatthews

Hi:

Same issue here. Started a couple of days ago when some tech folks accidentally unplugged the MacMini that FM server was running on. When the Mac restarted, the error began occurring. I get sporadic email messages that the WPE component is not responding, but IWP is still functioning normally.

I have a feeling the error occurred sometime prior to the power-out restart, but wasn't reported until the restart occurred.

Is a reinstall the only sure solution? 

FM Server Advanced 11.0.3.309

MacMini running MacOS X Server 10.6.7

Thanks,

Mike

• 3. Re: FMS WARNING wpe1  WPE Component is not responding
              TSGal

Mike Matthews:

Thank you for your post.

Does anything show in the logs prior to the power-out?

Reinstalling may not be a "sure" solution, but since this used to work without any previous problems, I would be inclined to start fresh again.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FMS WARNING wpe1  WPE Component is not responding
                mamatthews

Hi TSGal:

Sorry for the delay in response.

Looks like the server crashed around 15:45 on July 5. Two open databases were "not closed properly; performing consistency check" on x blocks

And a few minutes later, from the error log for the Publishing Engine Access: 127.0.0.1: 49510 - - "fmi/comf/config.wpc" 401 0

And: "FM Web Publishing - - wpc1 Error: 500"

A few minutes later: "Administrator fmsadmin no longer responding: conection closed"

On July 13, I got these:

2011-07-13 08:41:51 Publishing Engine Error FM Web Publishing - - wpc1 Error: 500

2011-07-13 08:41:51 Web Publishing Core Error 128.138.234.175:0 - - "/fmi/iwp/cgi?-authinfo" 500 9940

2011-07-13 08:42:04 Publishing Engine Error FM Web Publishing - - wpc1 Error: 404

2011-07-13 08:42:04 Web Publishing Core Error 128.138.234.175:0 - - "/fmi/iwp/res/" 404 9940

I can re-install, but would like to avoid the hassle. Again, everything seems to be running fine to the outside world.

Thanks in advance,

mm

• 5. Re: FMS WARNING wpe1  WPE Component is not responding
                  JohnWolcott

My first email warning about this is dated 2/9/2011.  I have tried every solution I could find on the web short of uninstalling the server.  Nothing worked.  This past long weekend I finally bit the bullet and uninstalled the server software as recommended by TSGal on 7/14/2011.  The reinstall seems to have solved the problem.  It actually was a lot easier than I thought it would be and took less than 2 hours with all the backups, just in case something went wrong, but nothing did since I was prepared, or at least think I was prepared.  I had to install the original 11.0.0 and then the 11.0.3 update.