3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2009 8:31 AM by Cerniuk

FMS, Apache, PHP and Snow Leopard (10.6)

pkaitlyn

Title

FMS, Apache, PHP and Snow Leopard (10.6)

Your post

Well, the move to Snow Leopard for Filemaker Server 10 is fraught with problems.

One I haven't solved yet... two I have...

The first problem... 

Filemaker Server Admin won't load...

This was solved by the new all-in-one FMS 10.0.2 updater that was released. Thanks, but finding this new marvel on your website was a painful process at best. So I got the Server to install and load.

The Second Problem... 

It seems that Filemaker Server adds commands to the base configuration file of Apache that don't work with the new version of Apache in Snow Leopard.

The additional configurations at the end of the httpd.conf file stop the new version of Apache from working at all since they stop the configuration process... which means that web sharing on a Mac with Snow Leopard is dead in it's tracks for everything, not just Filemaker.

Deleting the Filemaker configuration lines at the end of the Apache configuration file solves the problems and will allow Apache to start. Yeah!

Here is the path for those with this problem:

/etc/apache2/httpd.conf   

However, it took me a couple of weeks of Apache down time and several sessions of research to find the solution. Then it took a trip into areas of the Mac OS that aren't normally user areas, to fix the problem, including changing permissions on files I'm not supposed to be able to access.

Thanks Filemaker, for being so timely with Updates that allow users to keep up with Apple...

The Third Problem...

Now that I can start Apache...

I uninstalled Filemaker Server and re-installed it with the all in one Update to FMS 10.0.2 and presto chango... it works.

Not so for the php pages with filemaker code.

The Filemaker php pages on the now fixed Apache web server load, but as sorce text only... None of the design, CSS, or fuctionality that was there remains.

I assume it's because the PHP code in the configuration file no longer starts the PHP engine of Filemaker Server...

Sigh...

I have no solution for this one... Except to uninstall and reinstall Filemaker Server... Which I've done to no effect.

Anyone have a solution?

• 1. Re: FMS, Apache, PHP and Snow Leopard (10.6)
          Cerniuk

PeterK wrote:

Well, the move to Snow Leopard for Filemaker Server 10 is fraught with problems.

One I haven't solved yet... two I have...

The first problem... 

Filemaker Server Admin won't load...

This was solved by the new all-in-one FMS 10.0.2 updater that was released. Thanks, but finding this new marvel on your website was a painful process at best. So I got the Server to install and load.

That hard to get URL... could have left that ;-)  The URL below someone else provided leave me wondering if the installer will knock out my FMS Advanced and put me back to non-advanced.  Disk image name seems to indicate it is not advanced.  

Can't understand why they don't post the full installer.  These updates are painful if you have to reinstall FileMaker Server or even a client.  The thieves and frustrated honest users have them plastered all over the torrents. 

The true irony is that Apple owns FileMaker Corp and one would think that some kind of allegiance would be there. There seems to be problems every time a new version of Mac OS X comes out. Microsoft supports Mac OS X better... Office 2008 works just fine on the chilly kitty... and MS has an axe to grind. What's with FM Corp?

• 2. Re: FMS, Apache, PHP and Snow Leopard (10.6)
            Cerniuk

It gets better.

I located a link to the "trial 10.0.2 server installer" here:

http://www.fmsource.com/topic/41526-filemaker-server-10-0v2-pour-snow-leopard-est-disponible/

I am trying to uninstall and have to actually enter a serial number in the installer to get to the uninstall.

We upgraded from FileMaker 8 server directly to FileMaker 10 server.  I tried to use the 10 upgrade key that FM Corp supplied and it rejects it.  I tried to use the FM Corp supplied FMS Advanced 8 key and it rejects it.

So now I have to go dig up the original FMSA 10 disk image and try that.  This is unacceptable.

• 3. Re: FMS, Apache, PHP and Snow Leopard (10.6)
              Cerniuk

Finally! uninstalled with the original upgrade disk, then re-installed with the 10.0.2 "trial".  Ended up creating a custom disk image with FileMaker install setup with our license code by using the "trial" (and tribulation? LOL) installer.

Then during deployment I get an error:

"deployment/configuration error -30 sending request error (attempt #1): java.net.ConnectionException: Connection Refused"

Fortunately there is a FMP Developer's group meeting in DC: http://www.dcfilemaker.com/ where there is a good chance I can compare notes with others.