AnsweredAssumed Answered

FMS10 Admin Console doesn't start 95% of the time

Question asked by oars on Dec 22, 2009
Latest reply on Aug 25, 2010 by akappy

Title

FMS10 Admin Console doesn't start 95% of the time

Your post

We are using a Win2003 R2 server, dedicated to FileMaker, and have recently removed FMS 9 and installed FMS 10. From the very first install it has given us problems. The actual server service runs fine and we can access our databases over the network with no problem. Its the Admin Console that has given us a huge headache. After researching throughout the internet and these forums, I've tried every single suggestion that I could find, with no luck. We've spend many, many hours trying to troubleshoot this and it is very frustrating! We are using the exact specs that it requires, including Java 6r7.

I've gotten the Admin Console to start up only a couple of times out of dozens of attempts, which enabled me to at least finish the deployment and configure the server settings. I contacted FileMaker tech support which told me that it was our server's problem and I need to wipe it clean and reinstall everything, including the operating system. I don't think so!

The Admin Console is acting like something is using port 16000 and so it fails to start, but we've checked everything on the server and found that nothing is using that port. Since it is a dedicated FileMaker machine, not much more is even loaded on it besides the operating system. 'netstat -ano' in a command window proves that nothing is using that port. If I attempt to run the Admin Console, it will sit there for a minute and then pop a message saying "Admin Server Connection Error - The admin console cannot establish a connection to the admin server."

I checked all of the logs in<!--  [if gte mso 9]&gt;&lt;xml&gt; &lt;w:WordDocument&gt;   &lt;w:View&gt;Normal&lt;/w:View&gt;   &lt;w:Zoom&gt;0&lt;/w:Zoom&gt;   &lt;w:PunctuationKerning/&gt;   &lt;w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/&gt;   &lt;w:SaveIfXMLInvalid&gt;false&lt;/w:SaveIfXMLInvalid&gt;   &lt;w:IgnoreMixedContent&gt;false&lt;/w:IgnoreMixedContent&gt;   &lt;w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText&gt;false&lt;/w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText&gt;   &lt;w:Compatibility&gt;    &lt;w:BreakWrappedTables/&gt;    &lt;w:SnapToGridInCell/&gt;    &lt;w:WrapTextWithPunct/&gt;    &lt;w:UseAsianBreakRules/&gt;    &lt;w:DontGrowAutofit/&gt;   &lt;/w:Compatibility&gt;   &lt;w:BrowserLevel&gt;MicrosoftInternetExplorer4&lt;/w:BrowserLevel&gt; &lt;/w:WordDocument&gt; &lt;/xml&gt;&lt;![endif]  --><!--  [if gte mso 9]&gt;&lt;xml&gt; &lt;w:LatentStyles DefLockedState=&quot;false&quot; LatentStyleCount=&quot;156&quot;&gt; &lt;/w:LatentStyles&gt; &lt;/xml&gt;&lt;![endif]  --><!--  /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal      {mso-style-parent:&quot;&quot;;      margin:0in;      margin-bottom:.0001pt;      mso-pagination:widow-orphan;      font-size:12.0pt;      font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;;      mso-fareast-font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;;} @page Section1      {size:8.5in 11.0in;      margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;      mso-header-margin:.5in;      mso-footer-margin:.5in;      mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1      {page:Section1;}   --><!--  [if gte mso 10]&gt; &lt;style&gt; /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable      {mso-style-name:&quot;Table Normal&quot;;      mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;      mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;      mso-style-noshow:yes;      mso-style-parent:&quot;&quot;;      mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;      mso-para-margin:0in;      mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;      mso-pagination:widow-orphan;      font-size:10.0pt;      font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;;      mso-ansi-language:#0400;      mso-fareast-language:#0400;      mso-bidi-language:#0400;} &lt;/style&gt; &lt;![endif]  --> C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\Admin\admin-master-tomcat\logs and found the following:

<!--  [if gte mso 9]&gt;&lt;xml&gt; &lt;w:WordDocument&gt;   &lt;w:View&gt;Normal&lt;/w:View&gt;   &lt;w:Zoom&gt;0&lt;/w:Zoom&gt;   &lt;w:PunctuationKerning/&gt;   &lt;w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/&gt;   &lt;w:SaveIfXMLInvalid&gt;false&lt;/w:SaveIfXMLInvalid&gt;   &lt;w:IgnoreMixedContent&gt;false&lt;/w:IgnoreMixedContent&gt;   &lt;w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText&gt;false&lt;/w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText&gt;   &lt;w:Compatibility&gt;    &lt;w:BreakWrappedTables/&gt;    &lt;w:SnapToGridInCell/&gt;    &lt;w:WrapTextWithPunct/&gt;    &lt;w:UseAsianBreakRules/&gt;    &lt;w:DontGrowAutofit/&gt;   &lt;/w:Compatibility&gt;   &lt;w:BrowserLevel&gt;MicrosoftInternetExplorer4&lt;/w:BrowserLevel&gt; &lt;/w:WordDocument&gt; &lt;/xml&gt;&lt;![endif]  --><!--  [if gte mso 9]&gt;&lt;xml&gt; &lt;w:LatentStyles DefLockedState=&quot;false&quot; LatentStyleCount=&quot;156&quot;&gt; &lt;/w:LatentStyles&gt; &lt;/xml&gt;&lt;![endif]  --><!--  /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal      {mso-style-parent:&quot;&quot;;      margin:0in;      margin-bottom:.0001pt;      mso-pagination:widow-orphan;      font-size:12.0pt;      font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;;      mso-fareast-font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;;} @page Section1      {size:8.5in 11.0in;      margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;      mso-header-margin:.5in;      mso-footer-margin:.5in;      mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1      {page:Section1;}   --><!--  [if gte mso 10]&gt; &lt;style&gt; /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable      {mso-style-name:&quot;Table Normal&quot;;      mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;      mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;      mso-style-noshow:yes;      mso-style-parent:&quot;&quot;;      mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;      mso-para-margin:0in;      mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;      mso-pagination:widow-orphan;      font-size:10.0pt;      font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;;      mso-ansi-language:#0400;      mso-fareast-language:#0400;      mso-bidi-language:#0400;} &lt;/style&gt; &lt;![endif]  -->

CATALINA.LOG:

Dec 20, 2009 6:02:05 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina stopServer

SEVERE: Catalina.stop:

java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect

at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)

at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(Unknown Source)

at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(Unknown Source)

at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)

at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)

at java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)

at java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)

at java.net.Socket.<init>(Unknown Source)

at java.net.Socket.<init>(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.stopServer(Catalina.java:394)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.stopServer(Bootstrap.java:343)

at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:434)

ADMINSERVER.LOG:

2009-12-20 17:08:35,634 [WPEStatusThread_wpe1] WPEAgent - Sending request error (attempt #1): java.net.SocketException: Connection reset

java.net.SocketException: Connection reset

2009-12-20 17:08:49,493 [WSStatusThread] WSAgent - Sending request error (attempt #1): java.net.SocketException: Connection reset

java.net.SocketException: Connection reset

2009-12-20 17:23:54,665 [FMSAdminLib] ComponentBaseThread - getEventLink() cannot find an EventLink corresponding to link -1701274

2009-12-20 17:23:54,665 [FMSAdminLib] ComponentBaseThread - sendEvent(), cannot find event link -1701274 to the server.

2009-12-20 17:23:54,665 [FMSAdminLib] FMSAdminLib - findConnectionData() cannot find a ConnectionData object with link id -1701274

2009-12-20 17:23:56,696 [DBSCheckIfAlive] ComponentBaseThread -

org.omg.CORBA.COMM_FAILURE

2009-12-20 17:23:56,696 [DBSCheckIfAlive] FMSAdminLib - connect() fails, error = ServerUnavailable (10004)

I still cannot get the Admin Console to work no matter what I try. 

Please help!

Outcomes