14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2010 7:04 AM by akappy

FMS10 Admin Console doesn't start 95% of the time

oars

Title

FMS10 Admin Console doesn't start 95% of the time

Your post

We are using a Win2003 R2 server, dedicated to FileMaker, and have recently removed FMS 9 and installed FMS 10. From the very first install it has given us problems. The actual server service runs fine and we can access our databases over the network with no problem. Its the Admin Console that has given us a huge headache. After researching throughout the internet and these forums, I've tried every single suggestion that I could find, with no luck. We've spend many, many hours trying to troubleshoot this and it is very frustrating! We are using the exact specs that it requires, including Java 6r7.

I've gotten the Admin Console to start up only a couple of times out of dozens of attempts, which enabled me to at least finish the deployment and configure the server settings. I contacted FileMaker tech support which told me that it was our server's problem and I need to wipe it clean and reinstall everything, including the operating system. I don't think so!

The Admin Console is acting like something is using port 16000 and so it fails to start, but we've checked everything on the server and found that nothing is using that port. Since it is a dedicated FileMaker machine, not much more is even loaded on it besides the operating system. 'netstat -ano' in a command window proves that nothing is using that port. If I attempt to run the Admin Console, it will sit there for a minute and then pop a message saying "Admin Server Connection Error - The admin console cannot establish a connection to the admin server."

I checked all of the logs in<!--  [if gte mso 9]&gt;&lt;xml&gt; &lt;w:WordDocument&gt;   &lt;w:View&gt;Normal&lt;/w:View&gt;   &lt;w:Zoom&gt;0&lt;/w:Zoom&gt;   &lt;w:PunctuationKerning/&gt;   &lt;w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/&gt;   &lt;w:SaveIfXMLInvalid&gt;false&lt;/w:SaveIfXMLInvalid&gt;   &lt;w:IgnoreMixedContent&gt;false&lt;/w:IgnoreMixedContent&gt;   &lt;w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText&gt;false&lt;/w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText&gt;   &lt;w:Compatibility&gt;    &lt;w:BreakWrappedTables/&gt;    &lt;w:SnapToGridInCell/&gt;    &lt;w:WrapTextWithPunct/&gt;    &lt;w:UseAsianBreakRules/&gt;    &lt;w:DontGrowAutofit/&gt;   &lt;/w:Compatibility&gt;   &lt;w:BrowserLevel&gt;MicrosoftInternetExplorer4&lt;/w:BrowserLevel&gt; &lt;/w:WordDocument&gt; &lt;/xml&gt;&lt;![endif]  --><!--  [if gte mso 9]&gt;&lt;xml&gt; &lt;w:LatentStyles DefLockedState=&quot;false&quot; LatentStyleCount=&quot;156&quot;&gt; &lt;/w:LatentStyles&gt; &lt;/xml&gt;&lt;![endif]  --><!--  /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal      {mso-style-parent:&quot;&quot;;      margin:0in;      margin-bottom:.0001pt;      mso-pagination:widow-orphan;      font-size:12.0pt;      font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;;      mso-fareast-font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;;} @page Section1      {size:8.5in 11.0in;      margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;      mso-header-margin:.5in;      mso-footer-margin:.5in;      mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1      {page:Section1;}   --><!--  [if gte mso 10]&gt; &lt;style&gt; /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable      {mso-style-name:&quot;Table Normal&quot;;      mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;      mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;      mso-style-noshow:yes;      mso-style-parent:&quot;&quot;;      mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;      mso-para-margin:0in;      mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;      mso-pagination:widow-orphan;      font-size:10.0pt;      font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;;      mso-ansi-language:#0400;      mso-fareast-language:#0400;      mso-bidi-language:#0400;} &lt;/style&gt; &lt;![endif]  --> C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\Admin\admin-master-tomcat\logs and found the following:

<!--  [if gte mso 9]&gt;&lt;xml&gt; &lt;w:WordDocument&gt;   &lt;w:View&gt;Normal&lt;/w:View&gt;   &lt;w:Zoom&gt;0&lt;/w:Zoom&gt;   &lt;w:PunctuationKerning/&gt;   &lt;w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/&gt;   &lt;w:SaveIfXMLInvalid&gt;false&lt;/w:SaveIfXMLInvalid&gt;   &lt;w:IgnoreMixedContent&gt;false&lt;/w:IgnoreMixedContent&gt;   &lt;w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText&gt;false&lt;/w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText&gt;   &lt;w:Compatibility&gt;    &lt;w:BreakWrappedTables/&gt;    &lt;w:SnapToGridInCell/&gt;    &lt;w:WrapTextWithPunct/&gt;    &lt;w:UseAsianBreakRules/&gt;    &lt;w:DontGrowAutofit/&gt;   &lt;/w:Compatibility&gt;   &lt;w:BrowserLevel&gt;MicrosoftInternetExplorer4&lt;/w:BrowserLevel&gt; &lt;/w:WordDocument&gt; &lt;/xml&gt;&lt;![endif]  --><!--  [if gte mso 9]&gt;&lt;xml&gt; &lt;w:LatentStyles DefLockedState=&quot;false&quot; LatentStyleCount=&quot;156&quot;&gt; &lt;/w:LatentStyles&gt; &lt;/xml&gt;&lt;![endif]  --><!--  /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal      {mso-style-parent:&quot;&quot;;      margin:0in;      margin-bottom:.0001pt;      mso-pagination:widow-orphan;      font-size:12.0pt;      font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;;      mso-fareast-font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;;} @page Section1      {size:8.5in 11.0in;      margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;      mso-header-margin:.5in;      mso-footer-margin:.5in;      mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1      {page:Section1;}   --><!--  [if gte mso 10]&gt; &lt;style&gt; /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable      {mso-style-name:&quot;Table Normal&quot;;      mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;      mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;      mso-style-noshow:yes;      mso-style-parent:&quot;&quot;;      mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;      mso-para-margin:0in;      mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;      mso-pagination:widow-orphan;      font-size:10.0pt;      font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;;      mso-ansi-language:#0400;      mso-fareast-language:#0400;      mso-bidi-language:#0400;} &lt;/style&gt; &lt;![endif]  -->

CATALINA.LOG:

Dec 20, 2009 6:02:05 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina stopServer

SEVERE: Catalina.stop:

java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect

at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)

at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(Unknown Source)

at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(Unknown Source)

at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)

at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)

at java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)

at java.net.Socket.<init>(Unknown Source)

at java.net.Socket.<init>(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.stopServer(Catalina.java:394)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.stopServer(Bootstrap.java:343)

at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:434)

ADMINSERVER.LOG:

2009-12-20 17:08:35,634 [WPEStatusThread_wpe1] WPEAgent - Sending request error (attempt #1): java.net.SocketException: Connection reset

java.net.SocketException: Connection reset

2009-12-20 17:08:49,493 [WSStatusThread] WSAgent - Sending request error (attempt #1): java.net.SocketException: Connection reset

java.net.SocketException: Connection reset

2009-12-20 17:23:54,665 [FMSAdminLib] ComponentBaseThread - getEventLink() cannot find an EventLink corresponding to link -1701274

2009-12-20 17:23:54,665 [FMSAdminLib] ComponentBaseThread - sendEvent(), cannot find event link -1701274 to the server.

2009-12-20 17:23:54,665 [FMSAdminLib] FMSAdminLib - findConnectionData() cannot find a ConnectionData object with link id -1701274

2009-12-20 17:23:56,696 [DBSCheckIfAlive] ComponentBaseThread -

org.omg.CORBA.COMM_FAILURE

2009-12-20 17:23:56,696 [DBSCheckIfAlive] FMSAdminLib - connect() fails, error = ServerUnavailable (10004)

I still cannot get the Admin Console to work no matter what I try. 

Please help!

• 1. Re: FMS10 Admin Console doesn't start 95% of the time
          oars

Bump.

TSGal, would you be able to look into this for us? Thank you!

• 2. Re: FMS10 Admin Console doesn't start 95% of the time
            charlesdespotopulos

I am also having this same issue. I am running FMS10 on a Mac server and after I did a software update of Safari my FMS10 console will not launch. The error is:

Unable to load resource:

http://localhost:16000/admin_console_webstart.jnlp

Everything was working just fine before the update.

• 3. Re: FMS10 Admin Console doesn't start 95% of the time
              TSGal

technerd:

Thank you for your posts, and I apologize for the late reply.

Since clients are able to access the hosted database files, your database server is running properly.

The log information you posted doesn't provide a lot of useful information to me at this time.  For testing purposes, try running Admin Console from a second machine.  That is, launch a browser and enter:

http://<IP address of server>:16000

See if you are able to start Admin Console.  If this works, then there is something on the server machine that is causing a problem.  If not, then there is probably a setting somewhere in the deployment of FileMaker Server that is in conflict.  It will help to know what happens here before proceeding further.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: FMS10 Admin Console doesn't start 95% of the time
                TSGal

chazlightning:

Thank you for your post.

An update from Safari should NOT affect the Java Web Start application. 

Click once on the downloaded "admin_console_webstart.jnlp" file and press Command-I (Get Info).  Make sure it is set to open with "Java Web Start (default) 13.0.0".

Try launching from FireFox.  Does this work?  If so, then the Safari update may be compromised in some way.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: FMS10 Admin Console doesn't start 95% of the time
                  oars

Thank You TSGal for your response.

I attempted to run the Admin Console from a second machine on the network by using your instructions. In FireFox 3.5.7, I get "The connection was reset - The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.", and in Internet Explorer 8, I simply get "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage".

I also tried to run it from the server directly and get a popup window that says "Admin Server Connection Error: The admin console cannot establish a connection to the admin server."

FYI, we were able to run the FileMaker Server 9 Admin Console on this exact same server before the upgrade to FMS 10.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to get this working. While the database server is working properly, I cannot get access to perform administrative functions which is very frustrating. Thanks for all your help.

• 6. Re: FMS10 Admin Console doesn't start 95% of the time
                    TSGal

technerd:

Thank you for the additional information.

I'm really at a loss on this one.  It appears that FileMaker Server 9 left something behind that FileMaker Server 10 is seeing/using.  After discussing this with another Support Technician, he doesn't know why the server is "dying".

What other processes are running?  Any clues from the log files?In specific, it sounds like the Admin Server is "dying" (I can't think of a better word).  How about a list of processes that are running?  Any clues in the log files than what you have already posted?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: FMS10 Admin Console doesn't start 95% of the time
                      gordysepp

TSGal among others

I'm having a similar problem only I can get it to start, but the Admin Console freezes.

The first time I realized the Admin Console was frozen is when I tried to create another location for backups. I have FMS 10 installed on the C: drive and make backups to another physical drive in the same machine on the E: drive. It wouldn't recognize that drive as valid. I had come from FMS 7 and used that set-up for years without much trouble.

I called support and they directed me to reload FMS. Since the Console was frozen, I had trouble closing the files. I couldn't stop the service in the Windoz management window. I couldn't close any of the seven related databases. Nothing I tired worked even when I'd wait an hour or two.

Finally I just abruptly restarted the server computer itself which puts the databases at risk for corruption.

I deleted the original installation and re-installed the software. All seemed to be fine, and I redirected backup copies to be made to the E: drive successfully. Three daily backup copies were completed and then it ceased making backups.

When I got on the console, I found nothing appeared to be amiss, but I couldn't change anything. A client was shown as having been logged in the day before the backup failed and listed as still being connected. I knew in fact he was not. His computer was off.

Again, I couldn't close any of the files from use. I couldn't stop Bonjour or the FileMaker Server services. Ultimately I killed the processes using Task Manager. Again this risks corruption to the data.

I restarted the server computer (it is a Windoz server 2003) and it runs only FMS. It came up fine and I again was able to set the backup properly, and I put the database files in a folder at the root directory and edited the admin console to find them there. I then manually directed it to run a backup by the schedule. The console is again frozen and still shows the backup schedule still running. I found from the log that the backup was completed about 20 minutes after I started it. I just couldn't see this as the console froze.

Today sadly, I had a regular client tell me he can no longer connect. It seems his ID/password is no longer valid. So far it appears that his ID/password has become corrupt. I tried going to the four files he uses and editing his ID by retyping the password, but that didn't fix it. I'm guessing it is corrupt in a way I can't see.

The question is, why might the admin console freeze. Sometimes it is almost immediately, and sometimes it takes a few days. In all cases the clients don't notice anything until their ID/password becomes corrupt. If it weren't for no backups being created I could live with it. Right now it shows that the backups can't be made as the location isn't valid, which seems to be a consequence of the freeze.

Signed,

Frustrated and Cold :manindifferent:

• 9. Re: FMS10 Admin Console doesn't start 95% of the time
                        TSGal

Gordy_S:

Thank you for your post.

A few users have reported Admin Console going "deaf", and we do not know what is the cause.  We were able to replicate the problem once last March, but unable to do so since that time.

Before rebooting the server, try closing the database files from the command line:

fmsadmin close

This closes all open database files hosted by FileMaker Server.

You can then stop the server by issuing the command:

fmsadmin stop server

Please also check your log files after this occurs.  This may provide a clue.  Look for anything that appears out of the ordinary.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: FMS10 Admin Console doesn't start 95% of the time
                          oars

Looks to me like many others are having the same problem. Found this while doing a google search: http://filemakertoday.com/com/showthread.php?22129-Unable-to-start-FM-server-10-port-16000

TSGal, it looks as if the relation to most of the people who are experiencing this problem is Windows 2003 R2 Server. Maybe your techs can test this theory out and come up with a fix? Thanks!

• 11. Re: FMS10 Admin Console doesn't start 95% of the time
                            gerhard59

I have got the same problem on a windows 2008 x64 server.

A few weeks back it worked fine and for some reason today it just fails with error "Unable to launch application"

Detailed error "Unable to load resource: http://localhost:16000"

com.sun.deploy.net.FailedDownloadException: Unable to load resource: http://localhost:16000/admin_console_webstart.jnlp
                            at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.actionDownload(Unknown Source)
                             at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getCacheEntry(Unknown Source)
                             at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getCacheEntryTemp(Unknown Source)
                             at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getResourceCacheEntry(Unknown Source)
                             at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getCachedFile(Unknown Source)
                             at com.sun.javaws.jnl.LaunchDescFactory.buildDescriptor(Unknown Source)
                             at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.updateFinalLaunchDesc(Unknown Source)
                             at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.prepareToLaunch(Unknown Source)
                             at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.prepareToLaunch(Unknown Source)
                             at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.launch(Unknown Source)
                             at com.sun.javaws.Main.launchApp(Unknown Source)
                             at com.sun.javaws.Main.continueInSecureThread(Unknown Source)
                             at com.sun.javaws.Main$1.run(Unknown Source)
                             at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I have removed and reinstalled java and rebooted the server but still no connection.

Any help is appreciated

• 12. Re: FMS10 Admin Console doesn't start 95% of the time
                              oars

Found another post online about this same problem: http://forum-en.filemaker.com/t5/Using-FileMaker-Server/Filemaker-Server-10-reinstall-cannot-open-Admin-Console/m-p/29365

I was finally able to connect after many tries by manually running "C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\Admin\admin-master-tomcat\bin>catalina.bat start".

The problem is that after I rebooted the server, I can no longer connect to the admin console no matter what I try.

If I try to use "C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\Admin\admin-master-tomcat\bin>catalina run", I get:
                              The system cannot find the path specified.
                              Using CATALINA_BASE:   ..
                              Using CATALINA_HOME:   ..\..\..\Common\Tomcat
                              Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: ..\temp
                              Using JRE_HOME:        ..\..\..\Common\Java
                              ERROR: transport error 202: bind failed: Address already in use
                              ERROR: JDWP Transport dt_socket failed to initialize, TRANSPORT_INIT(510)
                              JDWP exit error AGENT_ERROR_TRANSPORT_INIT(197): No transports initialized [../.
                              ./../src/share/back/debugInit.c:690]
                              FATAL ERROR in native method: JDWP No transports initialized, jvmtiError=AGENT_E
                              RROR_TRANSPORT_INIT(197)

If I try to run the admin console from the icon, I get "unable to launch the application" and

java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
                                  at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
                                  at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(Unknown Source)
                                  at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(Unknown Source)
                                  at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
                                  at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
                                  at sun.net.NetworkClient.doConnect(Unknown Source)
                                  at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(Unknown Source)
                                  at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(Unknown Source)
                                  at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.<init>(Unknown Source)
                                  at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(Unknown Source)
                                  at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(Unknown Source)
                                  at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getNewHttpClient(Unknown Source)
                                  at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.plainConnect(Unknown Source)
                                  at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.connect(Unknown Source)
                                  at com.sun.deploy.net.BasicHttpRequest.doRequest(Unknown Source)
                                  at com.sun.deploy.net.BasicHttpRequest.doGetRequestEX(Unknown Source)
                                  at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.isUpdateAvailable(Unknown Source)
                                  at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.isUpdateAvailable(Unknown Source)
                                  at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getResource(Unknown Source)
                                  at com.sun.javaws.LaunchDownload$DownloadTask.call(Unknown Source)
                                  at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)
                                  at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
                                  at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)
                                  at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
                                  at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I am using a realtime ports viewer application to verify that none of the required ports are in use by anything else.

• 13. Re: FMS10 Admin Console doesn't start 95% of the time
                                gordysepp

I have found that the McAfee Anti-Virus service is part of my frustration with closing the databases and stop the server. I have found that if I don't have the McAfee AV services running I am able to close all the databases and stop the server directly every time from the command line.

GordyS

• 14. Re: FMS10 Admin Console doesn't start 95% of the time
                                  akappy

There is a document, "fms11_help.pdf" which is not included in the Documentation folder, but which is available from the web site, http://www.filemaker.com/support/product/documentation.html 

This doc has a Troubleshooting section as well as a Command Line Reference. 

There is a command, "fmsadmin restart adminserver", which got my Admin Console back in action and fully responsive once again. Restarting the Admin Server does not restart FileMaker Server itself, only the software that serves the Admin Console. 

• fmsadmin is available from both the Mac Terminal and Windows Command Prompt