2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2010 7:23 PM by zasuwa_1

FMS10 worker machine fails in Leopard 10.5.8

zasuwa_1

Title

FMS10 worker machine fails in Leopard 10.5.8

Your post

I am trying to install FMS10 on 2 brand new Mac Pro Intel boxes running 10.5.8 Leopard (not snow) in a Master and Worker setup.  It just fails even after having FMP technicians walk me through it step by step.  I did not install anything on these machines, they are fresh out of the box, and the required ports refuse to open on the worker machine.  I am very experienced with FMSA 8.5 running on 2 intel Mac Pro machines using 10.4 (Tiger).  These FMS10 machines are linked together through the additional ethernet port and are identically configured as I have them on the FMSA 8.5 2 machine setup.  I configure the worker machine to use one ethernet port for the network with a static IP and the other ethernet port is set to a static of 192.168.1.100 and the Master is set to 192.168.1.101.  The master sees the worker, but the installation test using XSLT fails and the web publishing engine can not communicate with the master server machine.  AFP works well and these machine communicate easily.

After many hours of fiddling with Apple and FM staff I gave up and installed  FMS10 on one machine, and use the second machine with Apache and Lasso to serve the databases.  I have no FMP clients accessing my databases.  I hate to admit it, but there is no difference between FMS10 on one machine and FMSA 8.5 on two machines.  The FMS10 with the superior hardware is even faster.  But I feel I may get even better performance if I can put the WPE (web publishing engine) on a worker machine with Lasso and Apache.  FMP tech staff admit they have very few customers using the 2 or machine deployment and they are puzzled why the Leopard default setup (no firewall is on) refuses to let me force open the ports that FMS10 needs.  Has anyone setup FMS10 on 2 machines (Master/Worker) with any success?

Gerard Zasuwa 

• 1. Re: FMS10 worker machine fails in Leopard 10.5.8
          TSGal

zasuwa:

Thank you for your post, and I apologize for the late reply.

I am looking at the case notes from Technical Support, and it looks like you finally got this resolved in December.  I can post the case notes from the Technician's notes, but it would be more beneficial to other forum users if you post in your own words.  This may help others who encounter the same problem.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: FMS10 worker machine fails in Leopard 10.5.8
            zasuwa_1

Sorry for the late response, but I just remembered I had posted this a long time ago.  But it was this in a nutshell.  FMS10 did not like me using en0 (ethernet port#1) on the Master machine.  After switching it to en1 and a private manually configured IP like 192.168.1.100 - the master could communicate with the slave on the second machine.  I also added 192.168.1.101 as the router IP, the IP of the slave machine.  Maybe it is just my equipment running 10.5.6 Leopard.  But after testing the speed of the master slave combo, I was disappointed in the performance since FMS10 ran much faster on a single machine.  Doesn't seem right, but I was able to utilize a robust, fat database to time queries and snappiness in the response.  The master/slave 2 machine configuration is slower.  So I reluctantly reconfigured back to a single machine and using a second machine with APache and Lasso to distribute data via the web from the FMS10 machine.