3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2011 9:20 AM by TSBear

FMS11 Backups failed and data is gone!

sgljungholm

Title

FMS11 Backups failed and data is gone!

Your post

I came in to work this morning to find my FMP app frozen on my server. OS X 10.6. I tried to force quit with no luck. Reboot and pull up my database to find that it has reverted to data from 10 days ago. I went to the data store location and the file says modified 1/10/11. My TimeMachine backups running hourly all have the same file with the same modification date. All data between 1/10/11 and now is gone. All the coding and scripting I did this week is gone. What is this?

• 1. Re: FMS11 Backups failed and data is gone!

Sven Ljungholm:

Thanks for posting!

To clarify, were you hosting the databases through FileMaker Server or FileMaker Pro? Did Time Machine back up databases that were actively being hosted out?

TSBear

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMS11 Backups failed and data is gone!
            sgljungholm

Hosting with FileMaker Server 11 Advanced. Time machine was backing up entire server. FMPS also had a daily backup running.

From the looks of it FMPS daily failed after 1/10/11. Time machine saw the hosted data as unchanged once FMPS failed  and did not back up anything new after 1/10/11. 

• 3. Re: FMS11 Backups failed and data is gone!

Sven Ljungholm:

We highly recommend against allowing third party applications to touch databases that are actively being hosted. The recommended way to use third party back up applications would be to have FileMaker Server run a back up and then point the third party application to the back up folder and nothing else.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if recovering the lost data is going to be a possibility. The best thing that I can recommend here would be to immediately change the back up procedures and check the files for corruption.

To check for corruption, bring the files to a local machine and open them using FileMaker Pro. Then, navigate to File -> Recover, select your file and hit the "Check Consistency" button. 

TSBear

FileMaker, Inc.