AnsweredAssumed Answered

FMS11 How to backup to networked drive

Question asked by dataWolf on Apr 12, 2011
Latest reply on Apr 13, 2011 by philmodjunk

Title

FMS11 How to backup to networked drive

Your post

In FMS9 I was merrily once a week backing up my database files to an internet drive so that our files are backed up offsite. I consider this mandatory in case the building burns down.

Now FMS11 has broken things by including the date in the name of the folder. This is cute and could be useful, but I would like to be able to turn it off. My apple backup software allows me to specify the folder to backup, but now that folder name keeps changing.

Apple backup does not allow me to do a new backup (only incremental) so even better than that would be if I could use FMS to backup. Then I don't have to leave an account logged in to run the backups. But I can't specify the iDisk in the path name for backups. Can anyone help me accomplish this? How do I specify the iDisk path in the backup path.

I'd even like to backup locally to our TimeCapsule but also don't know how to create a path to that. This also requires a password which I am willing to store on the FMS machine. Can anyone tell me how to backup to a networked drive? My guess is the pathname does not begin with FILEMAC. Does it begin with FMNET ?

Outcomes