2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2011 2:03 PM by meteodave1

FMS11Adv: Databases Not Opening Automatically in Additional Database Folder

meteodave1

Title

FMS11Adv: Databases Not Opening Automatically in Additional Database Folder

Your post

We have configured FileMaker Server 11 Advanced on MacOS X to manage files in another database folder.  However, when the Mac OS X system is restarted, the Filemaker server only automatically opens a database within the Default Database Folder location.  The Additional Database Folder is configured properly (Status: Valid path, in admin console) and the databases in this folder can be started manually using Admin Console.  The "Help" states the following on the Additional Database folder:

"At startup, FileMaker Server searches the default database folder (and in subfolders one level down) for databases to host. It also searches an optional additional database folder."

I would expect databases in the additional database folder would be opened automatically when the server starts.

Does anyone have an idea or solution?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: FMS11Adv: Databases Not Opening Automatically in Additional Database Folder

meteodave1:

Thanks for posting!

I'm unable to reproduce this behavior. I created a new folder, changed the permissions so that it's owned by the fmserver user and the fmsadmin group and set it to be the additional database folder. This validated without issue and, after rebooting, the database opened automatically.

Can you reproduce this issue with nothing but one new database in the additonal database folder?

Do you see anything in the FileMaker Server event log to indicate an attempt to open this file? You should be able to view the event log through the Log Viewer section of the admin console.

TSBear

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMS11Adv: Databases Not Opening Automatically in Additional Database Folder
            meteodave1

TSBear,

The Server Events log file does not give any indication of opening files  other than in the default location.  The additional database folder  files are listed and shown as "closed" in the admin console Databases status window.

I have verified the folder and file permissions to be fmserver user and fmsadmin group and the additional folder link is validated in the admin console.

The FM Server V11.0v3 and default location are installed on a solid state drive and the additional database folder is installed on a SAS drive.  I ran another test where I made the additional database folder on the solid state drive and it opened those databases automatically.  Does this mean the additional database folder cannot be on another disk?

Thank you.