1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2011 10:57 AM by TSGal

FMSA 10 - Cannot launch Admin Console on OS X Server 10.6.7

Slushman

Title

FMSA 10 - Cannot launch Admin Console on OS X Server 10.6.7

Your post

I've just finished installing Filemaker Server Advanced 10.0.2.206 on a brand new Mac Mini server running OS X Server 10.6.7 and I'm not able to launch the Admin Console on the server.  There is no error message, it just simply doesn't launch or do anything.  I know the problem is related to the version of Java; the server is running Java version 1.6.0_22-b04-307.

I've already tried the following:

Clearing the Java cache - didn't help
      Reassigning the admin_console_init_webstart.jnlp file to open with Java Web Start - didn't help
      Checked for FMSA 10 updates - I'm already running the most current version
      Installed the 10.6.7 Combo update - didn't help
      Cleared Java cache again - didn't help
      Repaired permissions - didn't help

What else is there?  I saw there are patches for FM11, any chance of a patch for FM10?

• 1. Re: FMSA 10 - Cannot launch Admin Console on OS X Server 10.6.7

chris.wilcoxson@belmont.edu:

Thanks for posting.

What exactly do you see when you go to http://localhost:16000 on the server? Do you get the option to start the admin console at all?

Try disabling any and all network adapters through System Preferenes -> Network, rebooting attempting again.

TSBear
          FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: FMSA 10 - Cannot launch Admin Console on OS X Server 10.6.7
            Slushman

Thanks TSBear.  I've attached a screenshot of the localhost:16000 page, the downloads windows, as well as the Sys Prefs Network page.

I do get the option to launch the admin console.  When I click that link, it appears that Safari downloads the .jnlp file, but beyond that, nothing happens.  After disabling all the network adatpers and rebooting, there's still no change.  I also tried clearing the Java cache again, no change.

• 3. Re: FMSA 10 - Cannot launch Admin Console on OS X Server 10.6.7

Does anything happen when you double click on the jnlp file to open it?

TSBear
              FileMaker, inc. 

• 4. Re: FMSA 10 - Cannot launch Admin Console on OS X Server 10.6.7

I apologize, your latest post was accidentally deleted and we, unfortunately, don't have a way to restore it. For other people viewing this thread, the reply basically stated that double clicking on the jnlp file does not result in anything at all.

To confirm that you're on Java 6 update 22, let's open the Terminal application from /Applications/Utilities and run the following command:

java -version

It might also be helpful to restart the server entirely. While you have the Terminal application open, run this command:

fmsadmin restart server

And attempt to launch the admin console again.

TSBear
                FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: FMSA 10 - Cannot launch Admin Console on OS X Server 10.6.7
                  Slushman

java -version = Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_22-b04-307-10M3261), Java HotSpot(TM) 64-bit Server VM (build 17.1-b03-307, mixed mode)

The restart server command gave me a man page-like response talking about how to use the command, is that correct?

After running this command, I tried clicking the link on the Admin Console Start Page and got the same result, nothing happens.  I tried double clicking on the jnlp file in the downloads window, same thing - nothing happens.  It seems like the Java Web Start app isn't working or something. 

I was going to ask you if there's a way to test JWS, but I found it online.  I googled Java Web Start and found the Java Web Start FAQ page (http://webstartfaq.com/).  From one of the FAQs, I found Sun's demo apps that use JWS to launch (http://java.sun.com/javase/technologies/desktop/javawebstart/demos.html).  I've been able to open each of them on the server, so I think we can rule out JWS as the problem.

Any other suggestions?

• 6. Re: FMSA 10 - Cannot launch Admin Console on OS X Server 10.6.7

It's possible that this is just a corrupt install. Let's completely uninstall and reinstall FileMaker Server, clear the Java cache and give it another shot. When uninstalling, please follow the instructions below:

1. Close all files and stop the Database Server by running the following commands in terminal:

fmsadmin close

fmsadmin stop server

If this doesn't successfully stop the server, you'll need to quit the processes owned by fmserver in the Activity Monitor.

2. Move the /Library/FileMaker Server/Data/ to your desktop (this contains all of your databases, backups, etc.)

3. Run the installer and opt to uninstall when prompted.

4. Clear the Java cache.

5. Move the /Library/FileMaker Server/ folder to the trash to ensure no left over config files conflict with the new installation.

6. Reboot.

7. Run the full v2 installer. Installing FileMaker Server 10v1 and then updating to v2 on OS X 10.6 will not be successful. You can find the full installer here: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7361

TSBear
                    FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: FMSA 10 - Cannot launch Admin Console on OS X Server 10.6.7
                      Slushman

There aren't any databases on the machine, since I haven't gotten into the Admin Console yet.  But I ran the close and stop server commands and it appears the server stopped.  I ran the uninstaller, it was successful.  I cleared the Java cache, then moved the /Library/Filemaker Server/ folder to the trash and emptied the trash.  I rebooted, ran the installer you linked to above.  No joy, I get the screen below:

Clicking the link and double clicking the jnlp file both result in nothing happening.

I reinstalled the OS from scratch (zeroing out the drive first), installed all the updates except the 1.6.0_24 Java update, and installed FMSA from the downloaded file you referred to in your last post.  As soon as the installer finished, it tried to launch the Admin Console and I got the following message:

I tried clicking the link - same message.

I tried double clicking the jnlp file - same message.

I restarted the Filemaker Server using "fmsadmin restart server" in Terminal, then clicking the link - same message.

I tried double clicking the jnlp file again - same message.

I tried rebooting the machine and clicking the link - same message.

I tried the jnlp file again - same message.

I tried clearing out the Java cache and clicking the link - same message.

I tried the jnlp file again - same message.

• 8. Re: FMSA 10 - Cannot launch Admin Console on OS X Server 10.6.7

The fact that we're getting an error message now indicates this may be a bit of a different issue. Especially when considering that this is a fresh install of the OS. Can we try disabling the network adapters and rebooting one more time? 

TSBear
                        FileMaker, Inc. 

• 9. Re: FMSA 10 - Cannot launch Admin Console on OS X Server 10.6.7
                          PascalNardot

I've the almost the same issue after updating a server to MacOS X Server 10.6.7 and the latest java 6.0_24
                          I get an error message though, "unexpected exeption: java.lang.reflect.invocationTargetExeption" 

I've talked to FileMaker support and I've been told that the latest version of Java that was compatible with FMS 10 is version 6.0_20
                          Your version is Java 6.0_22…maybe here is your answer !

As far as I understood, you shouldn't expect any help from File Maker. The only answer I could get from the representative was that I should contact Apple in order to get Java version 6.0_20 and that he could not help me.

I pointed out to him that there was a similar problem with admin consol failing to launch due to Java update on FMS 11 and that this issue had been solved with a software update.

When I asked the representative when does FileMaker is expected to release an update to FMS 10. The FileMaker representative told me that he was not aware of any coming upgrade dealing with that issue for FMS 10 and that I should again contact Apple for a Java version 6.0_20.
                          To make a long story short, I understood that, either I upgrade to FMS 11 or I'm on my own.

TSBear, can you confirm that there will be no fix to FMS 10 no being able to launch the admin consol with a Java version newer than Java 6.0_20?

Thank you 
                          Pascal 

• 10. Re: FMSA 10 - Cannot launch Admin Console on OS X Server 10.6.7
                            Slushman

True, it's probably a different problem.  I disabled the adapters, rebooted, clicked the link - same message.  Double clicked the jnlp file - same message.  Cleared the Java cache, tried both again - same message.

• 11. Re: FMSA 10 - Cannot launch Admin Console on OS X Server 10.6.7
                              PascalNardot

I see, yes it's probably a different issue. But you'll still have to deal with Java 6.0_22 later on.
                              Following the information I got from the support this version is to new to run consol admin websart.

• 12. Re: FMSA 10 - Cannot launch Admin Console on OS X Server 10.6.7

Pascal Nardot:

I don't currently have any additional information regarding the incompatibility between Java 6 update 24 and FileMaker Server 10. I do, however, feel it's important to note that we actually recommend using Java 6 update 24 as it includes some important security fixes. For more information, workarounds and updates on this issue, please subscribe to knowledge base answer #7937:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7937

Let's verify that the ports required for admin console functionality are open. Launch the Network Utility application from /Applications/Utilities and select the Port Scan tab. We'll want to run on a port scan on this computer for ports 16000 - 16004.

TSBear
                                FileMaker, Inc. 

• 13. Re: FMSA 10 - Cannot launch Admin Console on OS X Server 10.6.7
                                  Slushman

I ran the port scan.  Ports 16000, 16001, and 16004 are open.  I don't have the firewall turned on currently and haven't touched any of these settings since I reinstalled the OS.

• 14. Re: FMSA 10 - Cannot launch Admin Console on OS X Server 10.6.7

I think we're going to need some logs in order to move forward. Please check your inbox at the top of this page for a message detailing exactly which logs to send and where to send them.

TSBear
                                    FileMaker, Inc. 

1 2 Previous Next