2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2009 8:18 AM by smower

FMSA 10 and SBS Windows 2008 Operating System Backups

smower

Title

FMSA 10 and SBS Windows 2008 Operating System Backups

Your post

Hello,

We are running FMSA 10 on 64 bit SBS 2008 (on Windows 2008 Server) successfully and it is very fast and very stable. SBS Windows 2008 wants me to enable backup through it's wizard. The wizard doesn't seem to let me exclude files from the backup so I haven't been allowing it to backup my data drive which has my FileMaker Files on them and the server is mad at me since it wants to back up. Has anyone found a way with the Windows 2008 Server builtin backup software program or wizard to successfully backup all your files except the hosted FM files or do you have a good solution without buying different backup software?  Or does anyone have an example of a command line interface that stops the filemaker hosted databases and then runs the windows 2008 backup process and when it is finished restarts the hosted FM databases?

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: FMSA 10 and SBS Windows 2008 Operating System Backups
          TSGal
          smower:

Thank you for your post.

To close the FileMaker hosted databases, use the command line:

C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\Database Server\fmsadmin close

To re-open all files (in the default directory), use the command line:

C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\Database Server\fmsadmin open

If you have database files not in the default folder, then specify the files after "open".  For more information, see the Help file for OPEN.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc. 
          • 2. Re: FMSA 10 and SBS Windows 2008 Operating System Backups
            smower

Thanks for the idea.  I think I now have a solution that works.

1. On the SBS 2008 set up the backup with it's wizard. 
            2. Set the backup schedule to Paused
            3. Create a batch file like this that will close the filemaker databases, run the backup wizard and then reopen the databases:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\Database Server\fmsadmin.exe" -u username -p password close -y
            "C:\Windows\System32\wbadmin.exe" START BACKUP -quiet
            "C:\Program Files (x86)\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\Database Server\fmsadmin.exe" open -u username -p password

Run the batch file with the SBS 2008 task scheduler.