4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2012 6:35 PM by toddderek

FMSA 10 Install Daemon Still Running - Won't Install

carl@cp3.com

Title

FMSA 10 Install Daemon Still Running - Won't Install

Your post

I'm trying to install FMSA 10 on an fresh install of OS X 10.5.6. FMS has not been installed on this machine. When I try to install, after I put the Serial Number in, it reports:

"The Filemaker Server Daemon is still running. This must be stopped before installation can occur."

I have looked for a Filemaker or FS job and there is none running. I have even started in safe mode to try the install and get the same error. I'm working with 10.0.0.64 of FMS. 

Any ideas or suggestions?

Carl Powell

• 1. Re: FMSA 10 Install Daemon Still Running - Won't Install
          carl@cp3.com

I was able to get on the phone with Filemaker to resolve this problem. Apparently, there was a problem with the admin user account. The fix was to create a new admin account on the Mac and install from it.

The REASON I had to do that, was because the NAME of the Admin account was FMServer Admin. And the installer looks for ANY process that has FMServer in the name. So, just having an account active with that name, kept it from continuing with the install process. The new account was called fsadmin and had no problems. 

Thanks to "Heather" in Tech support for finding the info for me.

• 2. Re: FMSA 10 Install Daemon Still Running - Won't Install
            rmanook

Hi CarlP,

Thanks for posting.

Try the following:

1.  Launch Terminal and type in the following commands:

fmsadmin STOP

sudo launchctl stop com.filemaker.fms 

2.  Verify that the Mac HD > Library > FileMaker Server folder has been removed.  If not, move it to the trash and empty the trash.  

3.  Reboot

4.  Try the following command in Terminal again:

sudo launchctl stop com.filemaker.fms 

5.  Verify in Activity Monitor that there are no FMS services running 

6.  Reinstall FMS. 

Also, is this an upgrade of FMS 10? 

Thanks,

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: FMSA 10 Install Daemon Still Running - Won't Install
              SusanAlford

I had the same issue as Carl with FMS 11.  The instructions outlined by tsturtle solved the issue.

• 4. Re: FMSA 10 Install Daemon Still Running - Won't Install
                toddderek

This worked for me too as I was just installing the upgrade from FMPS 11 to the newest version of FMPS but then I could not becasue the daemon was still running. Once I follow the above commandline I was able to complete the update installation.