1 2 Previous Next 28 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2010 11:52 AM by senor9k

FMSA 10 stops external authentication; Admin Console can't stop database server or close databases

burtonevets

Title

FMSA 10 stops external authentication; Admin Console can't stop database server or close databases

Your post

FMSA:  Version 10.0.2.206 w/IWP enabled

Our databases are running on FMSA 8 while I work the kinks out of FMSA 10.  We have one database on it (plus the sample one) that several people use simultaneously throughout the day.  We authenticate using Active Directory, and that works just fine.  However, after running for a week or so, the following things happen:

1. external authentication stops working (the FMSA logs record them as failed authentication attempts) so we have to use an account local to the database to get in,

2. FileMaker Server Admin Console will not let you close a database (it ignores you), or stop the database server (it gives you the message "Error encountered trying to shutdown Database Server"), although FileMaker Pro and IWP can still access the databases (using an account local to the database, of course),

3. Windows cannot successfully stop the FileMaker Server service (it tries, and notifies clients that it is going down, but it never finishes).

So, at this point, I restart the Windows server and everything works fine again.  But this has happened two times now, and I don't want to move our production databases over from FMSA 8 until FMSA 10 has proved itself stable.  I've combed throught the Event Viewer entries, and the FMSA logs, but cannot find anything that appears to explain this behavior.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: FMSA 10 stops external authentication; Admin Console can't stop database server or close databases
          philmodjunk

Do you have any scheduled back up or other server schedules running? If so, check to see if they completed or if one of them has gotten hung up in the "running" status and never completed. I've had that hapen twice now and when it did, clients could continue to use the DB, Admin was frozen and I had to use the Windows Services control pannel to stop the filemaker service. After stopping or a failed attempt to stop it, I could restart the server and all was fine after server completed a consistency check on each file while opening them.

The similarities in having to quit and restart the service are why I asked. If a "hung up" schedule was involved, we can ask TSGal to see if they might be the same issue that they, so far, have not been able to duplicate.

• 2. Re: FMSA 10 stops external authentication; Admin Console can't stop database server or close databases
            burtonevets

Interesting idea.  I checked through the FMSA Admin Console Log Viewer (module: Server Events) and noticed that on days following a single entry of the pattern...

2009-11-19 23:00:11    Server Events    Information    Schedule "Daily" scheduled for 11/20/2009 11:00 PM.

...everything worked fine (this entry typically appears right after the daily backup of the previous day has been completed).  However, on some days that entry was repeated multiple times (two, three, and on one day twelve times!) at seemingly random times throughout the day, although always on the hour or half hour, like the following...

2009-11-10 23:00:14    Server Events    Information    Schedule "Daily" completed.
            2009-11-10 23:00:14    Server Events    Information    Schedule "Daily" scheduled for 11/11/2009 11:00 PM.
            2009-11-11 00:30:00    Server Events    Information    Schedule "Daily" scheduled for 11/11/2009 11:00 PM.
            2009-11-11 06:30:00    Server Events    Information    Schedule "Daily" scheduled for 11/11/2009 11:00 PM.
            2009-11-11 07:00:00    Server Events    Information    Schedule "Daily" scheduled for 11/11/2009 11:00 PM.
            2009-11-11 10:00:00    Server Events    Information    Schedule "Daily" scheduled for 11/11/2009 11:00 PM.
            2009-11-11 11:30:00    Server Events    Information    Schedule "Daily" scheduled for 11/11/2009 11:00 PM.
            2009-11-11 12:30:00    Server Events    Information    Schedule "Daily" scheduled for 11/11/2009 11:00 PM.
            2009-11-11 15:30:00    Server Events    Information    Schedule "Daily" scheduled for 11/11/2009 11:00 PM.
            2009-11-11 16:00:00    Server Events    Information    Schedule "Daily" scheduled for 11/11/2009 11:00 PM.
            2009-11-11 16:30:00    Server Events    Information    Schedule "Daily" scheduled for 11/11/2009 11:00 PM.
            2009-11-11 18:30:00    Server Events    Information    Schedule "Daily" scheduled for 11/11/2009 11:00 PM.
            2009-11-11 21:00:00    Server Events    Information    Schedule "Daily" scheduled for 11/11/2009 11:00 PM.
            2009-11-11 23:00:00    Server Events    Information    Schedule "Daily" running.

This phenomenon appears to precede our inability to externally authenticate, stop the database server, or close databases.

Right now all systems are go, but based on your idea I'll watch for multiple entries like this as well as the Status column of the Daily Backup (the only schedule currently configured--right now it reads "OK").

• 3. Re: FMSA 10 stops external authentication; Admin Console can't stop database server or close databases
              TSGal

burtonevets:

Thank you for our posts.

There have been a number of users who have encountered this "deafness" with the Admin Console.  We were able to replicate this problem once in March, but not since that time.  We recognize this is an issue, but we have been unable to find the cause.

I have attached this thread to the case.

From the command line, enter:

fmsadmin close

(to close the database files)

and

fmsadmin stop server

(to stop FileMaker Server)

I would like to obtain your log files so I can forward them onto Development and Testing.  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the files.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: FMSA 10 stops external authentication; Admin Console can't stop database server or close databases
                WFielderII

FMSA:  Version 10.0.2.206 w/IWP enabled

We have been experiencing the same problems.  Clients are unable to authenticate (external AD) and connect to databases.  An attempt to close, or perform any action on the databases with the Admin Console fails.  It is as if the console stops responding.  At that point, I have tried to stop the service from Services.  The attempt fails.  So, I have to reboot the server at that point.  I am very concerned about database corruption.

Has a resolution been found?

• 5. Re: FMSA 10 stops external authentication; Admin Console can't stop database server or close databases
                  philmodjunk

WFielderII,

Can you check and see if there was a scheduled backup that started and never completed? You can check the log as it will log the beginning and end of a back up. That action appears to be a common thread for the Admin program locking up and being unable to stop/restart the service without using the Services control panel or sometimes even shutting down/restarting the entire machine.

Other common factor seems to be: Windows Server 2003

• 6. Re: FMSA 10 stops external authentication; Admin Console can't stop database server or close databases
                    WFielderII

Yes, the same scenario as described by the originator of the post.  The last log entry stated that a backup had initiated, but the backup never occured (no backup data was generated).  The Admin Console of the Filemaker server stated the backup was in a 'Running' state.  I tried stopping the FileMaker server via the Admin Console to no avail.  Then, I attempted to stop the FileMaker Service via Windows.  That attempt failed, as well.  So, I had to reboot the whole machine...

Is it possible to terminate a backup once this state is entered?  I wonder if terminating the backup might have allowed everything to function...

Thanks for your assistance!

• 7. Re: FMSA 10 stops external authentication; Admin Console can't stop database server or close databases
                      philmodjunk
                         Yes, I've had to reboot the server also and don't know of anyway to terminate the stalled back up schedule. So far, this has happened twice on my Windows 2003 server, Filemaker Server (not advanced) is the app in my case. The apparently random timing, (I've got multiple backups scheduled--including a recently added hourly back up schedule and all have worked without incident after more than 2 months of continuous operation.)  appears to be the reason why the folks at Filemaker Inc. haven't yet been able to reproduce the issue.
                      • 8. Re: FMSA 10 stops external authentication; Admin Console can't stop database server or close databases
                        burtonevets

I checked our logs, but they always say that the backup was completed and that the schedule "Daily" was completed, so no clues there.

It's been a week and a half and so far so good.  I have no idea of when it will strike a fourth time, but I'll be sure to report back here when it does.

I'm sorry some of you are having similar issues, but it's good to know I'm not the only one--it gives me more hope that a solution will be reached.

• 9. Re: FMSA 10 stops external authentication; Admin Console can't stop database server or close databases
                          WFielderII
                             Since this has happened around the same time-frame for each of us, I wonder if there was a recent Microsoft security patch that might have triggered these events?
                          • 10. Re: FMSA 10 stops external authentication; Admin Console can't stop database server or close databases
                            TSGal

burtonevets:

I received your log file and I have forwarded it to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review.  I will keep you posted.

WFielderII:

I doubt the Microsoft security patch is the cause, because users have been reporting this issue for months.  Some users go weeks/months at a time before this issue occurs, while a couple of users run into this problem daily, and one user multiple times per day.  As PhilModJunk has mentioned, we (FileMaker, Inc.) have had a very difficult time replicating this issue, which makes this more frustrating for us and our users.

With that said, our Developers and Testers still want to see log files, so if possible, please send in your log files, too.  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instruction where to send the files.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 11. Re: FMSA 10 stops external authentication; Admin Console can't stop database server or close databases
                              WFielderII

Okay, makes sense.  I thought, perhaps, these occurences have started recently.  I will PM you with my files.  Thanks!

• 12. Re: FMSA 10 stops external authentication; Admin Console can't stop database server or close databases
                                TSGal

WFielderII:

This is just an acknowledgement that I received your log files, and I have forwarded the files to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 13. Re: FMSA 10 stops external authentication; Admin Console can't stop database server or close databases
                                  burtonevets

In the 5 weeks since my last post, here's what's been happening (from our work logs).  I just realized I neglected to mention in my original post that we're running our FMSA 10's Windows 2003 server in Microsoft's Virtual Server 2005 R2 environment, the same type of environment where our FMSA 8's Windows 2003 server has been running trouble-free for two years.

12/17/2009: on 12/13/2009 we found that the server had spent the weekend at 100% and was completely unresponsive, either through RDC or through Virtual Server 2005 R2’s remote control, and you couldn’t access any databases hosted by it, so force restarted it, after which it ran just fine--the Windows and FileMaker logs are completely blank between late Friday and early Monday, so nothing to learn there--too bad--still don’t trust this server enough to put any more databases on it

12/18/2009: this morning no one could authenticate using active directory accounts, and there were Windows updates waiting, so I went ahead and restarted the server--glanced at the logs but should probably spend more time looking at them--the scheduled events in Admin Console read OK--ugh

1/1/2010: no external authentication available as of 12/28/2009--server restarted--then no databases available as of 12/29/2009--server restarted--this is becoming quite a nuisance

1/6/2010: no external authentication available as of 1/6/2010--server restarted

1/20/2010: aargh!--FMS10 server had to have its host Windows 2003 server restarted several times in the past 24 hours--databases would not appear for remote FMS clients, Admin Console couldn’t start the Database Server, and web clients got an Access Forbidden message--the Event Viewer and the Admin Console logs held *nothing* I could see that shed any light on the issue--very frustrating--finally it came up after one more restart of the Windows 2003 server, but nothing had been changed since the previous few restarts, so it’s all still a mystery--no recent activity on our FM forum postings--I think the next step should be to add remote authentication to our current FMS8 and forget FMS10 for now

1/21/2010: FMSA crashed with error szAppName : fmserver.exe    szAppVer : 10.0.1.51    szModName : msvcr80.dll    szModVer: 8.0.50727.762    offset : 0001742d
                                  Error report contents: C:\DOCUME~1\<username>\LOCALS~1\Temp\2\WER680b.dir00\fmserver.exe mdmp
                                      C:\DOCUME~1\<username>\LOCALS~1\Temp\2\WER680b.dir00\appcompat.txt
                                  Solved by stopping and restarting the FileMaker Server Service--for once the host Windows 2003 server didn't need to be restarted!

I've pretty much resolved to move this database back to our FMSA 8 environment and just keep a dummy database on FMSA 10 and check it once in awhile while I wait for stability to appear via a Windows update, FileMaker Server update, or who knows what.  Please reply to this post if a solution presents itself--I've set it to email me automatically.

• 14. Re: FMSA 10 stops external authentication; Admin Console can't stop database server or close databases
                                    TSGal

burtonevets:

Thanks for the detailed date of events.  At this point, it would help if we could look at your FileMaker Server 10 log files (access, events, tomcat, etc.).  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send these files.  In your case, it may be best to move back to FileMaker Server 8 until the cause is discovered.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

1 2 Previous Next