AnsweredAssumed Answered

FMSA 10 stops external authentication; Admin Console can't stop database server or close databases

Question asked by burtonevets on Nov 30, 2009
Latest reply on Jul 30, 2010 by senor9k

Title

FMSA 10 stops external authentication; Admin Console can't stop database server or close databases

Your post

FMSA:  Version 10.0.2.206 w/IWP enabled

Our databases are running on FMSA 8 while I work the kinks out of FMSA 10.  We have one database on it (plus the sample one) that several people use simultaneously throughout the day.  We authenticate using Active Directory, and that works just fine.  However, after running for a week or so, the following things happen:

1. external authentication stops working (the FMSA logs record them as failed authentication attempts) so we have to use an account local to the database to get in,

2. FileMaker Server Admin Console will not let you close a database (it ignores you), or stop the database server (it gives you the message "Error encountered trying to shutdown Database Server"), although FileMaker Pro and IWP can still access the databases (using an account local to the database, of course),

3. Windows cannot successfully stop the FileMaker Server service (it tries, and notifies clients that it is going down, but it never finishes).

So, at this point, I restart the Windows server and everything works fine again.  But this has happened two times now, and I don't want to move our production databases over from FMSA 8 until FMSA 10 has proved itself stable.  I've combed throught the Event Viewer entries, and the FMSA logs, but cannot find anything that appears to explain this behavior.

Any ideas?

Outcomes