AnsweredAssumed Answered

FMSA 11 is taking all available memory

Question asked by NWbutcher on Jan 26, 2011
Latest reply on Sep 14, 2011 by harlowtech

Title

FMSA 11 is taking all available memory

Your post

I just moved the majority of my db's to a new FMSA 11 server running IWP from a FMSA 8 server that died.  I noticed I wasn't getting the performance out of the new server that I was expecting, and was quite a bit more sluggish than the old one.  After looking around I found that it was using all of the memory the server had, will processor utilization was in the low single digits.

Server:

64 bit Windows Server 2008 r2

Xeon Processor 8-cores

12 GB of memory

FMSA 11.0.1.95

The server is about a year old, and had the new Network OS installed cleanly.  It runs nothing else besides Symantec Endpoint Protection.  In my opinion the server is slight overkill, but who am I to complain.

I do have a few very large files (in excess of 10 GB, much is due to a large amount of embedded PDF's), but rarely have more than 3 clients connected.  I did not have this problem on the old server, which only had 2 GB of memory.  The memory usage stays pegged out even if there are no client connections, or if I have closed all of the databases.  The only way to get the memory usage down is to either restart the machine, or to stop/restart the filemaker service.  Memory usage will climb slowly as it is running, or seems to peg out if the server runs a schedule like a backup or verification.

Outcomes