I wanted to confirm that I am seeing the same problem with Windows Server 2008 (64 Bit) R2. My AJAX menus that query the FileMaker Databases are taking upwards of 30 seconds.
I'm also having the same issue. I've not seen any info from Filemaker as to why this is. In my situation I was running Windows Server 2008 before and after. The Filemaker 11 upgrade was the problem. We had to go back to Filemaker 10 because our web solution was unusable and usually timed out with a 500 error.
Everyone, I was able to figure out what might be causing the problem with the slowness and delays with Windows Server 2008 and PHP. While this note may not help you directly with Snow Leopard, the principal fix should work as well.
This may or may not be FileMaker related as the problem stems from a delay when using
How I discovered this was I noticed the Test Page for PHP at http://localhost:16000/test
ran fairly well. But all our Web Apps were running slow like molasses. We see anywhere from 30 second delays
to complete timing out issues.
Most of my PHP websites use "http://localhost" in the FileMaker Config file inside the FileMaker folder. I do this in case I move the folder from my staging server to production server. However if you look at the release notes for FileMaker 11 you will notice a note under IWP (funny enough the don't mention this for Custom Web Publishing):
11. Instant Web Publishing/Custom Web Publishing Performance Issue
11.1. On Windows, to improve performance of an Instant Web Publishing or Custom Web Publishing solution, avoid using localhost in the URL by replacing it with the IP address, either 127.0.0.1 or the actual host IP. For example, change http://localhost/fmi/iwp to use http://127.0.0.1/fmi/iwp instead.
FileMaker does mention there seems to be a delay with instant web publishing when using "http://localhost". I double checked the FIleMaker Server folder for Web Publishing and the PHP API and indeed they also switched the Config file to "http://127.0.0.1" instead of "http://localhost" in FileMaker 11 Server. I think the Deployment Assistant sometimes also changes this file with the server's IP address as well so you might see it fill in something like "192.168.1.2:80". This should always work provided you always run the PHP files on that server.
When I switched my config files to "http://127.0.0.1" the performance issue matched that of Filemaker 10!!
If this doesn't solve your issue, it's possible it's related to some other DNS issue as some folks have mentioned. But I am pretty sure lots of folks will find this to be the fix.
So let's recap:
2. if you are not including the API double check the FIleMaker Server folder with web publishing at:
C://Program Files/FileMaker/FileMaker Server/Web Publishing/publishing engine/php/FileMaker/conf/filemaker-api.php
Make sure that the line that reads:
$_FM_CONFIG['hostspec'] = 'http://127.0.0.1';
If this works for you please respond back to the forum so other people can hear whether this fixed your problems.
"For your information"