4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2010 12:49 PM by HopeD

FMSA10 on Windows Server 2008 R2 - Web Server Will Not Configure

SteveBennett

Title

FMSA10 on Windows Server 2008 R2 - Web Server Will Not Configure

Your post

Just trying to walk this through by writing it and so I can try to figure out why the deployment assistant fails when trying to configure IIS web publishing on Windows Server 2008 R2.

I have also documented some of the settings with screen shots for verification but you might need to use the slide show option to see any details:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IT set up the server with the following:
      Windows Server 2008 R2 running under VMWARE ESXI

Edited to add that this is the Standard Edition for Windows Server 2008 R2 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I installed:
      FileMaker Server Advanced: 10.0.2.206 (Single Machine Deployment)
      Java 6 update 7: 1.6.0.70 (I understand there are problems with newer and older version of Java)
      Bonjour: 1.0.105

IIS7:
      - localhost is working
      - Anonymous Authentication is enabled and all other authentication methods were never added.
      - Anonymous user identity: IUSR (default setting)
      - ISAPI filters and ISAPI extensions were added
      - 32-bit compatibility enabled in Application Pool Defaults
      - Default web page set to use Port 591

FireWall has been tried both On and OFF:
      - Ports: 591, 5003, 16000, 16001, 16016 and 16018 are open under Inbound and Outbound Rules.

Install goes fine and I am able to launch the Admin Console via http://localhost:16000/

The deployment assistant launches and I select:

- Enable ODBC/JDBC
      - Enable Web Publishing
      - Enable XML
      - Enable XSLT
      - Enable Instant Web Publishing
      - Enable PHP and Install supported version of PHP5

- Select Single Machine Deployment
      - IIS is found but initial web server test fails
      - Set Server IP Address and Port 591 and web server test passes
      ***At this point if I click the option to "Skip this step and configure later" the FileMaker server installs correctly and runs fine with web publishing but Web Server is not configured and PHP is OFF.
      - Deployment summary comes up and I click Finish but the deployment assistant never completes the process even if I let it run for hours.

- Using the Task Manager to End "Deploying FileMaker Server 10" I get the error:
      "Java(tm) Platform SE binary is not responding"

If I do not include web publishing when configuring the server with the deployment assistant then FMSA installs fine and I can access databases with FileMaker client.

If I include web publishing BUT skip the step to configure IIS then FMSA installs fine and I can access databases with FileMaker client and the Web Publishing Engine gets installed and IWP/XML/XSLT are ON in the Server Overview but Web Server is not configured and PHP is OFF.

If I try to add any web publishing components and try to configure the IIS server settings then the deployment assistant fails to complete the process.

I have removed FMSA and the FileMaker Server Folder and tried several reinstalls using different web publishing options in the deployment assistant but it never completes the deployment process. I have even downloaded the FMSA Installer again to make sure it was good

I do not have any other PC's to test on so I installed Windows Server 2008 R2 on my Mac using VMWare Fusion and I have the same issue with the Deployment Assistant when trying to install web publishing and configure the web server.

Not sure if it is IIS, FMSA or Java that is the problem?

Any thoughts would be appreciated,

Steve

• 1. Re: FMSA10 on Windows Server 2008 R2 - Web Server Will Not Configure
          SteveBennett
             Looking at it again the server OS would be:

Windows Server 2008R2 Standard

At first I thought the R2 indicated a new release with current service packs and updates but it seems that the Windows Server 2008R2 Standard version may be a based on Windows7 code and IIS7.5 and the Windows Server 2008 Standard (Not R2) was based on Vista code and IIS7.

So it may be incompatible with FMSA10.

Has anyone installed FMSA10 on Windows Server 2008R2 Standard? 

• 2. Re: FMSA10 on Windows Server 2008 R2 - Web Server Will Not Configure
            BoldEchidna

Squeaky Data, I got it working

I followed the steps found here re: windows 7

http://fm.lithium.com/fm/board/message?board.id=us-fms&thread.id=2884

I also made sure I had done the following as well

Enabling ISAPI filters and ISAPI extensions
            To enable ISAPI filters ISAPI extensions:
            1. Choose Control Panel > Programs and Features.
            2. Double-click Turn Windows features on or off to start Server Manager.
            3. Expand Roles in the left pane, then select Web Server (IIS).
            4. In the right pane, click Add Roles Services in the Role Services section.
            5. Select ISAPI Filters and ISAPI Extensions in the Application Development section, then click Next and Install.
            6. After the installation is completed, restart the computer.
            Enabling application pooling compatibility
            To enable application pooling compatibility with 32-bit applications:
            1. Choose Control Panel > Programs and Features.
            2. Double-click Turn Windows features on or off to start Server Manager.
            3. Expand Roles in the left pane, then expand Web Server (IIS) and select Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
            4. In the Internet Information Services Manager pane, expand your web server name and select Application Pools.
            5. In the Application Pools pane, select DefaultAppPool and click Set Application Pool Defaults in the Actions pane.
            6. In the Application Pool Defaults dialog box, select Enable 32-bit Application and change the value to true, then click OK.
            7. Right-click DefaultAppPool in the Application Pools pane, choose Stop and then choose Start from the context menu.
            8. Verify that there were no errors in starting the application pool.
            9. Close the Server Manager windows and then exit Server Manager.

• 3. Re: FMSA10 on Windows Server 2008 R2 - Web Server Will Not Configure
              SteveBennett

Thanks for the reply,

I tested using the info from the link and it did work I just worry about what may not have been completed during the install when you kill the stuck process. 

We were able to downgrade to a supported version of Windows Server and I think we will stick with that until FileMaker releases a supported version.

• 4. Re: FMSA10 on Windows Server 2008 R2 - Web Server Will Not Configure
                HopeD

Hi there, I just wanted to add an addendum, since the instructions on getting the App Pools working in 32-bit mode didn't quite work for us.

We're also running FMSA10 on Win2k8 R2/IIS7, and had been getting frequent issues with w3wp.exe and the app pools, examples below. 

The difference was in step 6:

"6. In the Application Pool Defaults dialog box, select Enable 32-bit Application and change the value to true, then click OK."

-- Here we had to instead set Managed Pipeline Mode to "Classic" instead of "Integrated," which I believe accomplishes the same thing. For what it's worth, we have .NET Framework v. 2.0.50727.

According to the "Application Pool Defaults" applet, "[managedPipelineMode] Configures ASP.NET to run in Classic Mode as an ISAPI extension, or in Integrated Mode where managed code is integrated into the request processing pipeline."

Example of the errors we had been seeing:

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Application Error

Date:          4/26/2010 2:43:25 AM

Event ID:      1000

Task Category: (100)

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:     

Description:

Faulting application w3wp.exe, version 7.0.6002.18005, time stamp 0x49e023cf, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6002.18005, time stamp 0x49e03821, exception code 0xc0000374, fault offset 0x000afaf8, process id 0xdfc, application start time 0x01cae418aed7f37c.

Log Name:      System

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-WAS
                Date:          4/26/2010 2:43:30 AM
                Event ID:      5009
                Task Category: None
                Level:         Warning
                Computer:      HSG-FMSRV10.adsroot.itcs.umich.edu
                Description:
                A process serving application pool 'DefaultAppPool' terminated unexpectedly. The process id was '3580'. The process exit code was '0xff'.

Log Name:      System

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-WAS

Date:          4/26/2010 2:43:30 AM

Event ID:      5009

Task Category: None

Level:         Warning

Computer:      

Description:

A process serving application pool 'DefaultAppPool' terminated unexpectedly. The process id was '3580'. The process exit code was '0xff'.

To enable application pooling compatibility with 32-bit applications:

<snip>