11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2010 9:54 AM by TSGal

fmsadmin and fmserver

AngeloMileto

Title

fmsadmin and fmserver

Your post

Alright. Managed to get my FM6 files converted, cleaned and opening error free so I figured lets get the server running.

After installing, I went through the config and tried to change the default folders as I already have a backup folder and I don't want the databases stored in the library. Everything I tried says it's an invalid folder so I checked the help and found this:

Tips for valid foldersThe folders you specify as a backup folder and as an additional database folder must be valid.

•Specify a folder on a local volume, not on a remote volume. If you want to store database backups on a remote volume, first backup the database to a local volume, and then copy the backup to a remote volume.

•Ensure that the folder has permissions set correctly so that FileMaker Server can read and write to the folder.(Mac OS) The folder must be owned by the user fmserver (or in the group fmsadmin).

•Specify the folder as an absolute path:

•Windows: The path you enter must start with filewin:/ and end with a slash (/).For example, filewin:/driveLetter/folderName/

•Mac OS: The path you enter must start with filemac:/ and end with a slash (/).For example, filemac:/volumeName/folderName/

Owned by fmserver or in the fmsadmin group? When I tried to change the permissions for my backup folder to add that group, it will not add as it doesn't seem to exist anywhere. When I just type in the name, it fails as I did not put in a password. What's up with this and how do I get it to work?

I've already uninstalled and reinstalled FM Server twice. When I check the permissions on the library folder, it does show the fmserver and fmadmin permissions. But, if I check the Users in System Preferences, neither one is there.

This was installed using the only user account that exists on the machine which is an admin account. Running on a Mini (1.83GHz Core 2 Duo) with 2GB of RAM and OSX 10.5.5. 

• 1. Re: fmsadmin and fmserver
          rmanook

Hi AngeloMileto,

Thanks for posting!  Even though files/folders may display the fmsadmin and fmserver accounts, the accounts themselves will not appear in the System Preferences > Users list or in the Mac HD > Users folder.  

I've added an example of how to add these accounts to your default folder.  Before we get started we'll assume the following:

1.  FileMaker Server is installed

2.  A New Folder has been created and placed in the root directory of the Mac HD (for this example)

Ctrl + Click the New Folder.  From the menu that appears, select the 'Get Info' option and the New Folder Info window will launch.  Next, Expand 'Sharing & Permissions.'  We now get a list of Names (Accounts) and their assigned Privileges.

Click on the 'lock' icon at the lower right of the window.  You will be prompted to enter a username/password for an Admin account to verify that we are allowed to make changes to this folder.  Click on the plus sign or '+' icon located at the bottom left corner.  This will allow us to add new accounts to this specific folder.

A new window appears and you can choose the fmsadmin or fmserver account.  Select one and then click on the '+' icon again to add the other.  Once these accounts are added, change their Privileges to 'Read & Write.'  You can now close the New Folder Info window by clicking on the red 'x' located at the top left corner (these changes will save automatically).

In the Admin Console > Database Server > Default Folders tab, our additional database path will look like this:

filemac:/Mac HD/New Folder/

Click on validate and we should be good to go!  I just set the folder in the root level of the Mac HD to create a basic example.  As long as you follow the tips you posted earlier and the fmsadmin and fmserver accounts are set, you shouldn't ( hopefully :smileywink: ) run into any other issues.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.  Hope this helps!

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: fmsadmin and fmserver
            AngeloMileto
               Hey there TSTurtle. Thanks for the reply, but, that's what I've been trying to do. The issue is that when I click on the + fmsadmin NOR fmserver show up in the list to select from :( :(
            • 3. Re: fmsadmin and fmserver
              rmanook

AngeloMileto:

Let's try adding the fmserver and fmsadmin accounts via Terminal.  Launch Terminal and then enter the following commands:

sudo chown fmserver <database folder path>

sudo chgrp fmsadmin <database folder path>

You may be prompted to provide the password for the Admin account that you are logged in with.  Also, as a note, instead of typing out the database folder path, you can simply drag the folder into Terminal and Terminal will add the path for you.

Since the fmserver and fmsadmin accounts exist on your Library folder, I believe we should be good to go if we take this route.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.

Thanks!

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: fmsadmin and fmserver
                AngeloMileto

Awesome!!! I think that did the trick. I'm still a bit curious why the fmserver and fmsadmin don't show up. Did FM "hide" them from the list of users? If so, am I the only person who has wanted to use something other than the default library folder? That's strange.

Thanks though!!! Just finishing up my testing on client access and will wait until tomorrow to ensure the backup job that I setup runs properly and to the correct folder. 

• 5. Re: fmsadmin and fmserver
                  lexjamk

Hi guys,

I *was* having exact the same problems, there is no user fmserver to be found. But the terminal trick worked, although partially. 

Situation is: FM server 9 on a Xserve, installed on the boot disk, databases running from the boot disk. There is a local data disk which is mirrored, so I made 10 schedules to backup the databases mon-fri twice a day. When backing up to the original folder all works fine, but when backing up to a folder on the mirror drive there is a "permission denied" error in the schedule list.

The path to the backupfolders on the mirror is valid, privileges have been set (through terminal as described above) for fmserver read+write, fmsadmin read+write, even admin itself read+write. And although this should be enough as far as I can see, still there is this "permission denied" when running a schedule.

What now to do ??

• 6. Re: fmsadmin and fmserver
                    AngeloMileto

Turtle, or anyone else, I was trying to write either an AppleScript or Automator task to update these permissions for a folder and all files/sub-folders, but, I'm failing miserably.

The idea is this: As the solution changes, I want to be able to drag the root folder onto a script or automator task and have it update all of the permissions. That way, if I add files, I don't have to manually adjust the permissions.

Help :( :( 

• 7. Re: fmsadmin and fmserver
                      AngeloMileto
                         Bump
                      • 8. Re: fmsadmin and fmserver
                        rmanook

AngeloMileto wrote:

Turtle, or anyone else, I was trying to write either an AppleScript or Automator task to update these permissions for a folder and all files/sub-folders, but, I'm failing miserably.

The idea is this: As the solution changes, I want to be able to drag the root folder onto a script or automator task and have it update all of the permissions. That way, if I add files, I don't have to manually adjust the permissions.

Help :( :( 

I apologize Angelo, but I fear I will be of little help when it comes to creating AppleScripts or Automator tasks.  Perhaps there is a user adept with AppleScripts that can help us out?
                        It also may be beneficial to post your message in Apple's forum for the scripting help.
                        Thanks,
                        tsturtle
                        FileMaker, Inc. 

• 9. Re: fmsadmin and fmserver
                          AngeloMileto

Appreciate your cander. I think I can get the scripting part done, but, what I don't know is how to format the script statement to modify the permissions rather than replace them. When I run the sudo command you indicated above, I end up having to re-add the local user/admin manually to the permissions as they are deleted during the chown/chgrp commands.

If I could trouble you with the terminal commands, I think I can work out the script steps. 

• 10. Re: fmsadmin and fmserver
                            freudling

Hello:

I have been researching this very issue, running Leopard Server with Filemaker Pro Server Advanced 10.  I tried the terminal trick and have verified that my database folder and the two database files have permissions set for fmsadmin and fmserver.  There are other supporting database files, however, that do not have permissions set for fmsadmin.  "Staff" is there, but not fmsadmin in those cases.

It still won't show in my client.  The sample database shows and opens as a local host though... but not my other database.  It's in the default folder... and looking at the Console, the Sample database is "Normal", and everything is checked off (i.e. Pro, IWP, XSLT, XML, PHP, ODBC/JDBC).  With my business database (the one I want to use), the only thing that is checked off is IWP.  Everything else is blank.  

Any suggestions... ?

Thanks. 

• 11. Re: fmsadmin and fmserver
                              TSGal

freudling:

Thank you for your post, and I apologize for the late reply.

I'm hoping after three months you have already found a solution.  If not, then continue on.

Open the database locally, pull down the File menu and select "Sharing -> FileMaker Network...".  Turn on Network Sharing, click the file name in the lower left under Currently open files, and then make sure on the right side under Network access to file is set to either "All users" or "Specify users..."  In other words, make sure it is not set to "No users".  Also, make sure "Don't display in Open Remote File dialog" is unchecked.

Now, go to another machine with FileMaker Pro, and see if you can access the file as a guest.

Put the database file back on the server in the same folder/directory as the Sample file.  Launch FileMaker Server 10.  Does the file now show in Admin Console?  Can you access the file remotely?

Let me know if you are still running into difficulty.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.