4 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2012 10:46 AM by TSGal

fmsadmin Connection Refused: Server is unavailable. Permission denied. Error: 9

ToddGeist

Title

fmsadmin Connection Refused: Server is unavailable. Permission denied. Error: 9

Your post

Hello,

This has been a reoccuring issue with FileMaker server going back many years and many versions.  I have been bitten by it again. I am afriad that this might just be a generic error with many causes. But perhaps we can get lucky.

The basic problem seems to be that the command line tool is not able to connect to the server despite the fact that the server is clearly running. 

Here is what happens at the command line

I enter this

fmsadmin -v

and this the result

FileMaker Server 12
      Copyright(c) 1994-2012 FileMaker, Inc.  All rights reserved.

fmsadmin: Version 12.0v1

fmsadmin: Connection Refused: Server is unavailable.
      fmsadmin: Permission denied.
      Error: 9 

This is clearly wrong.  If it were just admin password issues, I would be prompted for the user name followed by the password. Like so

FileMaker Server 12
      Copyright(c) 1994-2012 FileMaker, Inc.  All rights reserved.

fmsadmin: Version 12.0v1

username (<suggested user name>):

The executable "fmsadmin" is just unable to connect to the server.

Here is what I have done so far to fix the issue.

I have uninstalled and resinstalled and gone from FMS 11 to FMS 12. I have repaired disk permissions.  I have done everything short of wiping the drive and starting over.

I have tried directly addressing the executable instead of it symlinks, like so;

/Library/FileMaker\ Server/Database\ Server/bin/fmsadmin -vls -l

I have checked the permissions of the executables they look right to me.

-rwxr-xr-x  1 fmserver  fmsadmin   59656 Mar 15 22:44 AuthUtil.dylib
      -rwxr-xr-x  1 fmserver  fmsadmin  114600 Mar 15 22:47 ExtAuth.dylib
      -rw-r--r--  1 fmserver  fmsadmin  516096 Mar 15 22:52 FMStrs.dls
      -rwxr-xr-x  1 fmserver  fmsadmin  646860 Mar 15 22:47 fmsadmin
      -rwxr-xr-x  1 fmserver  fmsadmin  153440 Mar 15 22:46 fmsased
      -rwxrwx---  1 fmserver  fmsadmin  219504 Mar 15 22:46 fmserver_helperd
      -rwxrwx---  1 fmserver  fmsadmin  475612 Mar 15 22:47 fmserverd
      -rwxr-xr-x  1 fmserver  fmsadmin  638816 Mar 15 22:47 fmsib
      -rwxrwxr-x@ 1 fmserver  fmsadmin    1000 Apr  4 20:56 pInfo

System Specs

Software  Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 (11D50)
      Processor  2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
      Memory  16 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC

the very latest Java Security Update was installed yesterday.

Please help me get to the bottom of this.

Thanks

Todd

• 1. Re: fmsadmin Connection Refused: Server is unavailable. Permission denied. Error: 9
          rmanook

Todd Geist1592:

Thanks for submitting your post and for the information you have already provided.

I ran the same command, but was unable to reproduce the issue.  However, I have seen this error before but in a different scenario (shell script was failing).  Working through this type of issue can sometimes get a bit heavy, so please allow me to ask a few questions and gather information to make sure we're on the same page:

Concerning the error:
          a. Is the Admin Console able to launch and function successfully?
          b. Does the error appear every time the command is run?  Does it appear with any other commands?
          c. Can you successfully run any FileMaker Server command?  For example, fmsadmin RESTART ADMINSERVER or fmsadmin LIST FILES -s?

About the configuration:
          1.  Are you using external authentication?
          2.  When the error happens, can you verify that the FileMaker Server 12 ports are open?
          http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10672/kw/server%20ports 

3.  In Activity Monitor > All processes, can you list all the processes shown under the username fmserver?
          4.  Is this a single machine or multiple machine configuration?

If possible, I would also like to take a look at your Event.log file.  I've sent you a private message with information about where you can send the logs.  To view this message, click on the Inbox link upper right corner of the forums.

Thanks,
          tsturtle
          FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: fmsadmin Connection Refused: Server is unavailable. Permission denied. Error: 9
            ToddGeist

Thanks for responding.  

Here are the answers to your question.  

a. The Admin console launches and "mostly" behaves. Although when starting the server after stopping it is very slow to recconnect. The server is started right away but in the admin console you get the spinning blue ball. If you wait for 3 to 5 minutes it will reconnect sometimes.

b. The error appears every time a given command is run.  It appears on most commands, but not all. 

c. these commands work

• fmsadmin start server
            • fmsadmin restart adminserver
            These do not. ( I did not try every command )
            • fmsadmin restart server
            • fmsadmin LIST FILES -s
            • fmsadmin -v
            • fmsadmin list schedules
            About the configuration.
            I am not using external authentication
            The firewall is off.
            Here is the list of the fmserver user's processes
            PIDProcess NameUserCPUThdsMemKind
            796      distnoted     fmserver     0.0     2     1.6 MB     Intel (64 bit)     
            174      fmsib     fmserver     0.0     27     64.6 MB     Intel (64 bit)     
            946      java     fmserver     0.0     39     160.1 MB     Intel (64 bit)     
            85      fmserver_helperd     fmserver     0.0     16     22.4 MB     Intel     
            1090      fmsased     fmserver     0.0     15     65.0 MB     Intel     
            1044      java     fmserver     0.3     64     336.8 MB     Intel (64 bit)     
            792      launchd     fmserver     0.0     2     1,004 KB     Intel (64 bit)     
            795      mdworker     fmserver     0.0     4     14.8 MB     Intel (64 bit)     
            1089      fmserverd     fmserver     0.1     34     116.5 MB     Intel (64 bit)     
            957      fmscwpc     fmserver     0.0     11     207.1 MB     Intel (64 bit)     
            178      fmxdbc_listener     fmserver     0.0     8     105.8 MB     Intel (64 bit)     
            944      FM Web Publishing     fmserver     0.0     45     70.4 MB     Intel     
            The is a single machine installation.

I will send you the event log.

Thanks very much.
            • 3. Re: fmsadmin Connection Refused: Server is unavailable. Permission denied. Error: 9
              rmanook

Todd Geist 1591:

Thank you for all of the information gathering; I know it can get tedious at times.  I received and downloaded your logs, as well.

I'll put all of this together and send it to our Development and Testing department and keep you posted.

Thanks,
              tsturtle
              FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: fmsadmin Connection Refused: Server is unavailable. Permission denied. Error: 9
                TSGal

Todd Geist 1591:

Our Testers have been unable to reproduce the problem after several tries.  Here are some additional questions asked by our Testing department:

When you are unable to connect to the server, can a client connect to the server?  How frequently does this happen?  Or, is this an isolated incident?  Are you forced to restart FileMaker Server repeatedly?  How busy is the server?  Are other applications on the server still functioning when the command line interface returns this error?

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.