6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2009 4:20 PM by rmanook

FMServer 7 and Mac OS 10.5

sencina

Title

FMServer 7 and Mac OS 10.5

Your post

My IT guy who doesn't work with FM had to install the updated version of Mac OS on my server machine (which is just a desktop).  Because of this, I had to reinstall all of my FMS 7 software.  Before I move on to installing FMS7A, I want to verify that FMS7 works just fine.  I install everything and I go to start the server to verify it.  However, at the local server window, I unlock the window and click "start server" but nothing happens.  The button remains greyed out, and after some time the lock icon locks itself with nothing happening.

I had it installed so FMS7 would just start on its own, but I then re-installed to manually start up to see if this would fix the issue.  Sadly, both ways leave me without FMS working.

As of now, I am just trying to test the sample database that comes with Server 7.  As I noted, I am running on OS10.5 (Leopard).  And before testing this out, I did install all the upgrades available for FMS7.  I have all the necessary sharing on, and the firewall is set to its most basic setting.

Because the server is not running, I cannot get into the console window to change anything, or to set any passwords or anything else.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: FMServer 7 and Mac OS 10.5
          sencina

I will also note that I have uninstalled and re-installed the software multiple times, with no success.

But in doing some research, I found this statement from FileMaker:

"While versions of FileMaker software earlier than 9 and 8.5 may install and run on Leopard, if you do so, you may encounter installation and stability issues for which there is no resolution. We strongly recommend you use current certified software."

And...

"Versions of our software earlier than FileMaker Pro 8.5 (8.0 and earlier versions of FileMaker Pro, Pro Advanced, Server and Server Advanced) will not be tested or supported with Leopard"

Is this what is referred to as incompatability issues?  I've seen issues with the IWP, and for now I can live with that, but that the server itself is not working is an issue that needs remedying.

Or is the answer somewhere else in OS?  Is there something that needs to be turned on or off to make it work?

• 2. Re: FMServer 7 and Mac OS 10.5
            TSGal

sencina:

Thank you for your post.

Along with FileMaker Pro 9, I do have FileMaker Pro 6 on my machine with Leopard OS 10.5.5.  I only do minimal testing with it, but it does seem to run.

We (FileMaker) did test 8.5 with Leopard, and there was a problem reported that was fixed in 8.5v2.  You can visit our web site to see that information in article 6861.

http://filemaker.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/filemaker.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=6861

At the end of the article, it says:

Mac OS 10.5

• Fixed a problem where the application would crash when creating or opening files, if the system language and region do not match.

• Fixed a problem where saving or exporting to the Microsoft Excel format would cause the application to freeze.

We did not test earlier versions of FileMaker (version 8 and previous) with Leopard.  It is very possible that FileMaker Server 7 will not run with Leopard.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: FMServer 7 and Mac OS 10.5
              sencina
                 So I think my option is to upgrade FM Server.  I have 7 Advanced, and am looking where I should go from here.  How can I be sure FM Server Advanced 9 is OK with new versions of Mac OS?  Or will only FMS 10 Advanced work with the new OS?
              • 4. Re: FMServer 7 and Mac OS 10.5
                rmanook

Hi sencina,

FileMaker Server 9 Advanced is good to run on Leopard.  If you choose FileMaker Server 9 Advanced, be sure that you are running the latest version.  Updates and fixes are listed here:

http://www.filemaker.com/support/downloads/?csr=support_downloads_new 

Here is a great place to start getting familiar with FileMaker Server 10:

http://www.filemaker.com/products/fms/index.html?nav=products-server 

Thanks,

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: FMServer 7 and Mac OS 10.5
                  sencina

Does FileMaker have anywhere handy what the changes are between different versions of FileMaker?  I can see what is new in FMSA10, but where can I find all the differences between 7, 8, 9, and 10?  What is the progression, because it seems when I read what is new in FMSA10, it is in response to FMSA9.

Thanks.

• 6. Re: FMServer 7 and Mac OS 10.5
                    rmanook

Hi sencina,

Unfortunately, we do not have a single comparison article of present and past products.  What I did, though, was gather some of our Knowledge Base articles that list the new features and such of each version 7-9 (since you noted that you already have FMS 10's features).  The links to these articles are listed below.

Just as a quick note, since you are already on FileMaker Server 7, you will probably see the most dramatic change starting with FileMaker Server 9.  

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc.

Here is information on FileMaker Server 7:

www.thefmkb.com/421

Quick Reference Guide FMS 8:

www.thefmkb.com/5478 

Quick Reference Guide FMS 8 Adv:

www.thefmkb.com/5724

Quick Reference Guide FMS 9:

www.thefmkb.com/6502