Did you ever find out any more about this? I have exactly the same problem.. The server seems to run fine, but it sends me an alert email every couple of minutes saying there's a problem.
If I understand your post correctly you named the FileMaker Server the fully qualified domain name for the server machine it is residing on?
If this is the case, would it be possible to reset your FileMaker Server and then during initial deployment choose a short name like "fms9" with no special characters.
I understand that in most cases the server machine is a production box and it is difficult to perform these sorts of actions. If it is possible for you to reset the server, you will need to follow these steps:
1. Make sure all the users are out of the databases
2. On the FileMaker Server open Terminal (located in: Mac HD > Applications > Utilities > Terminal)
3. Type the following command into the Terminal window: sudo launchctl stop com.filemaker.fms
4. You will be prompted to autheticate, enter the server machines password, FileMaker Server should now be stopped
5. Navigate to: Mac HD > Library > FileMaker Server > Admin > Conf. You should see 3-4 files, trash them all
6. Reboot the Server machine
7. Once the machine is back up, open a web browser and go to: http://localhost:16000/
8. This will launch the initial deployment wizard where you can give the server a shorter name
I understand you can change the name of the FileMaker Server via the admin console settings but I would like to be sure that the changes take full effect. If it is not possible for you to do all the previous steps, here are steps to simply rename FileMaker Server in the admin console:
1. Under the Configuration tree you should see General Settings, click it
2. Click the "Server Information" tab
3. The first section is where you can give the server a shorter name
4. Be sure to click "Save" in the lower right hand corner of the admin console
Please let me know the results, and if the error happens again.
Hi and thanks for responding to my request. The error message has since gone away (at least I have not seen this for a few days). I think this error message seems to start when the server is hung, or there are DNS issues (which has happened a few times in the past month or so...independant of this issue and beyond my control).
Is the issue that the server name has to be 8 characters or less? Is this the bug we are talking about? I just gave the server the same name as its dns name (which, character length wise, translates to myservr.fms.myserv.fms). Sorry to be so cryptic, but I want to protect its identity. Did I do a no-no by giving it the same name as the DNS name?
The server name does not have to be less than 8 characters (I believe the limit is 64 characters), and the issue I was referencing is not a bug. I do not believe there should be any issue with naming your FileMaker Server the same name as the DNS entry for the same machine.
Please let me know if the issue arises again.
Does this kind of error always require one to reset the server?
I am afraid to reset the server... and start from scratch.
This error just started a few days ago.... all of a sudden. Go figure. What is the cause? What does this error mean?
FileMaker Server 10.0.2.206 on MSA-Server reported the following event:
Sun May 30 00:45:26 JST 2010 FMS ERROR wpe1
Some problems were detected in the WPE COMPONENT: COMPONENT IS NOT RESPONDING.