3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2009 12:19 PM by TSGal

funny phenomena with old 2k3, iis, and many websites

kapitaen_1

Title

funny phenomena with old 2k3, iis, and many websites

Your post

Hi all,

i had a strange problem using windows 2k3, iis, while installing filemaker server 9 advanced (the small user limited version from technet).

I have a webserver utilising windows 2k3 that has already many many installed websites. The original "standard website" had been disabled since the early days of this webserver. I made a own "standard web site" instead, without binding to a ip adress, without binding to a specific host header, so this web site ansswered all requests that had not been answered by domain specific web sites.

Then one day i had to install filemaker server 9 advanced on this machine. All worked fine, except the "instant web server engine". During configuring tt always sayed that communicating with the web server failed. I finally canceled this installation.

Now  some months later, i tried again. But now i disabled my own "standard web site" and re-enabled the original standard web site. Result: after configuring again, instant web publishing worked immediately. No problem binding it to specific ip adresses, host headers, or binding it to special ports. All is working.

The only difference i can see betwenn the old original standard web site and the one i made of my own is that the original web site is on position 1 in iis management console. Both are not bound to ip adress or host header.

Any ideas what else i am overseeing? Any suggestions? What else could be the difference?  I already have asked on the german filemaker forum, but no answer untill today.

The server machine is windows 2k3, all service packs installed, all online patches installed.

Please forgive my bad english, and many thanks in advance!

greetings from germany

Chris 

• 1. Re: funny phenomena with old 2k3, iis, and many websites
          TSGal

kapitaen:

Thank you for your post.

This should work.  What is the difference between your standard web site and your own web site?  Do you have the permissions set up properly for both sites?  Are you able to share files via FileMaker Pro?

Any additional information you can provide may help determine possible causes.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: funny phenomena with old 2k3, iis, and many websites
            kapitaen_1

hi tsgal,

the filemaker filesharing has worked with the old configuration and with the new one, both are ok.

Yep, the two websites are completely identical, regarding permissions, regarding binding to ip-adresses or hostheader. I really went through all tabs in iis control console, i have seen no difference. No difference that should make a difference (funny language). The old website that works is set to "defaultAppPool", the not working is set to "default20pool". But both pools are configured identical. And the working website has .net 1.1, the not working has 2.0. The working has server extensions 2002 for microsoft sharepoint, the not working doesnt have them.

What i didn´t do is ... i didn´t look at the iis metabase, i am not the expert that could interpret the metabase to find differences that are important.

You sayd ... this should work. What should work? The "standard web site" i made of my own?

Do you want a copy of the metabase? Send me a private email adress and you will get a copy of the metabase.

greetings from germany,

Chris 

• 3. Re: funny phenomena with old 2k3, iis, and many websites
              TSGal

kapitaen:

Thank you for the additional information.

I apologize for not seeing this originally, but FileMaker Server will only work with a web site displayed in position 1 of the management console.  I have forwarded your posts to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review.  When more information becomes available, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.