1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 20, 2014 9:18 AM by philmodjunk

Get last search

SimonSpiegel

Title

Get last search

Your post

Hi,

I'm not really sure whether what I'm looking for is either really simple or just impossible, but here it is.

We have our library running on FM Server 11 with the php module (see it here). So far, so good. We now have the case where a record is a book which contains multiple articles which are also represented in individual records. The two entries (book and article) are linked which makes it possible if a book is shown to give a link which will lead to a list of all articles included in the book. I do this by simply starting a new search (if anyone wants to see an example search for Signatur "F 2021).

Now my question: Once the second search for the articles has started, is it possible to get back again to the previous results? Does FM offer some kind of "last search" or "save search" functionality? The FM client offers the possibility to save searches, but this doesn't seem to exist for server. Or am I missing something here?

If FM server doesn't offer this out of the box, can it be done with PHP? AFAICS PHP makes a clean slate with every request which makes it difficult to save the results for later.

Any hints appreciated.

Simon

• 1. Re: Get last search
          philmodjunk

I don't use PHP, but what I often do with FileMaker Clients is to have the user enter find criteria in a set of global fields while in Browse mode and then a script performs the find. If the user wants to modify the most recent search, a button takes them back to those fields with the last criteria used still stored in those fields.

I'm just speculating here, but maybe you can save the criteria used in some (nonglobal) fields or something (can PHP use variables?) so that you can then repeat the find by using the stored criteria to recreate the needed find requests.