3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2012 11:01 AM by philmodjunk

Getting a file from a FileMaker server on my computer

PeterThorton

Title

Getting a file from a FileMaker server on my computer

Your post

Hello,

I have a .fp7 file on a FileMaker server 11. From time to time I need to update this file by replacing it with my dev file that I'm developing on my laptop. I can do that, I have access to the FileMaker Server Admin Console, I know how to delete the file on the server, how to upload a new file.

But before I do that, I want to manually backup the file from the server on my computer. That's the only thing I don't know how to do. Local files have the "Save a Copy As" option in the File menu, server files don't, but that's just what I need.

The server has automatic backups set for every day, that's something I don't want to mess with, but if I could get access to those backup files, (and copy them to my machine) that would solve my problem.

Alternatively, there should be a way to manually tell the server to backup the file, right before I perform the switch, and then revert it if something goes wrong. That should be easy, only:

while I'm a 100% european, at the moment I'm in Japan working for a Japanese company, so the FileMaker Server Admin Console is in Japanese. I can read SOME Japanese, apparently enough to be able to delete and upload the database files, but I can't figure out how to download a file. In fact, only some of the fonts are Unicode, while others are derived from the locales settings of my computer, so the GUI is actually a nice mixture of Japanese and □□□□□□ □□□□□□□□□□□□□□□ □□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□

Even so I should be able to perform the tasks I need to, provided I know exactly where to click. How should I proceed?