9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2010 10:21 AM by mrvodka

Global Fields in FMS

SloppyMo

Title

Global Fields in FMS

Your post

I’m having some trouble with “global fields” in a Filemaker database that is hosted on a FileMaker 10 server. I enter the information I want in the global field, and it does not save it when I close it. The global fields get deleted when I log out. How do I make the global fields permanent?

From help: If your file is shared, only the host's changes to global field data are saved. Changes are saved only when the file is closed.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Global Fields in FMS
          MikeyG79

If you want it to stay - take the database offline, enter the values you want - and put it back online.

• 2. Re: Global Fields in FMS
            mrvodka

That isnt how global fields work in a hosted environment. Global fields retain the value of the last value it was at the point it was starting to be hosted. One can change the value of the global field in a session but once the session ends when one reconnects, it will have the default value again of what it was when it was being served.

So if you took your system off as being the host and locally modified the fields and then rehosted, the default value for all the clients connected will now have this new value.

That being said, with the introduction of server side scripts in FMS9, one could also set the value of the field with a sever side script without having to take it down from hosting.

In your case, what you are looking for is 1 record preferences /settings table. Now you have a choice to reference this table using a cartesian join ( X  operator ) or you can load the values into global on startup but keep in mind that the values will not update during the session unless you have a script that keeps setting the global to the preferences value. You could also use global calculations based on the preference field values.

• 3. Re: Global Fields in FMS
              SloppyMo

I am going to revise my issue.

The global field is saved in File -> Manage -> Database -> Fields Tab and the field is populated when i create a new record.

However, when i close the database and reopen it all of the fields that are supposed to be populated by the global field are blank until i create a new record. Upon creating a new record the global field is populated in the new record and all previous records.

How do I get the global fields to auto populate all records upon opening the database?

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks

• 4. Re: Global Fields in FMS
                mrvodka

You are missing the point. A global field has one global value across the entire file. So if you assign it a value in the beginning, it will display across all records. When you close and reopen it, it will default to value it was when you put it on the server and started serving it. In your case it seems that field was empty so it will default ot empty every time you open it fresh.

• 5. Re: Global Fields in FMS
                  MikeyG79

Sounds like you're trying to use a global as a serial number maybe? If so it should not be a global.

• 6. Re: Global Fields in FMS
                    SloppyMo

I am trying to add different fields that will remain consistent throughout the database. I use to copy and paste these fields in. I thought that there might be a way to incorporate the use of global fields without having to take the database offline, making the changes and put it back online. This seems like a hassle. I just thought that there might be some way for me to do it “on-the-fly”.

• 7. Re: Global Fields in FMS
                      mrvodka

mr_vodka wrote:

In your case, what you are looking for is 1 record preferences /settings table.

• 8. Re: Global Fields in FMS
                        SloppyMo

Thanks for the info mr_vodka.

Would you happen to have a link to some information on this subject?

Many thanks...

• 9. Re: Global Fields in FMS
                          mrvodka