4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2013 3:02 AM by ChrisDeith

Global values not updated/saved when database run via Server?

ChrisDeith

Title

Global values not updated/saved when database run via Server?

Your post

"When a database is run from Filemaker server, the global values are not updated on the server but are only held locally; therefore when the client disconnects, any changes are lost and any changes by one user are not seen or used by others" (from "the missing manual").

It goes on to suggest scripting the values so that they are updated each time the database is run - but as far as I can see, that means hard-coding them which would also mean a user couldn't change them.

The app I'm building uses a whole series of global values as basic settings which are then used to govern the way the app works, but these values need to be setup  by the user - one example would be the rate of VAT.  If I use a "normal" storage table, there has to be some risk that somehow more than one record would be created which must surely be undesireable?

Am I missing something here, or is there a simple solution to storing such a set of system settings?

thanks....

• 1. Re: Global values not updated/saved when database run via Server?
          Markus Schneider

Global variables are 'per user'. Every user has her own set of global variables - per definition. Therfore, it's not possible to fill globals while running on FMServer for all users.

But:

- You can fill globals using a startup-script

- You can define those globals while running the DB locally and upload it to the server afterwards

(-:

• 2. Re: Global values not updated/saved when database run via Server?
            ChrisDeith

Hi Markus

That's true - but what if a user has a different requirement to that which I foresee as programmer - which in this instance is highly likely?  The only way to change the values is either for them to ask me to do so in the hard-coding, or for me to do so by uploading a new copy to the server.  Neither solution resolves the problem as it requires a programmers' input.  The whole point as I see it is to produce a robust application that doesn't require later input as users can adapt it to suit their needs - but in this instance it appears that's only the case if it's running locally as opposed to via a server.

There must be a solution - I just can't see what it is!

• 3. Re: Global values not updated/saved when database run via Server?
              Markus Schneider

You can create a user-table (or 'globals'-table) with a record per user where user-settings are stored in regular fields, not globals. A login-script can locate the specific user-record an copy all necessary info into globals (or copy the entries from the globals-table..). Maybe there are other methods as well - without those globals

Besides of this, I'm happy that globals are theway they are...

• 4. Re: Global values not updated/saved when database run via Server?
                ChrisDeith

Sorted thanks; used a "normal" field for the data with a startup script to copy them into global values and a layout script to always show the first record for editing and no status bar.

It is possible for someone to create a second record, if they try hard and use keyboard shortcuts etc, but if they do it is ignored on startup as only the data from the first record is ever copied into the global values.  It'll do for now!

ta...