3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2014 12:40 PM by disabled_ntaylor

Hacking FMS13 WebD page layout

Yadin

Title

Hacking FMS13 WebD page layout

Your post

So the layout of WebDirect is horrid and I was hoping to try to fix it, but it's been murder trying to figure out where they hid all the css, html, etc in this new version.  I found a couple key items buried down in \Web Publishing\publishing-engine\jwpc-tomcat\fmi\VAADIN\themes\default but only scratched the surface.  I should mention this is the Windows version.

So in layouts\iwp_home.html I could change the name on the site to customize that (why this isn't in the admin UI still after all these years I can't figure out) and in i18n\en\strings.properties I could modify the message on the login window.  However, in past versions I could edit files to remove the guest button on the login screen and I can't find that anywhere now.  In addition, the layout once logged in like I said is terrible.  There is no vertical spacing between page elements, elements are all the wrong sizes relative to each other and their function, and there's this absurd horizontal scrollbar that goes over to blank space.  I can't believe this interface got out of development honestly, what happened to the design team on this one?

I'd fix these things if I could find the files with the html or css or what have you in it that control these things but no luck.  Several files that contain element names consistent with inspecting the page don't seem to actually have an impact.  In one case I briefly saw a change before the page finished loading, which told me some other file is overridding the one I was working in.  The design code side from an organizational stand point is even worse than the end result.  For a total re-write it's a total disaster.  Has anyone out there managed to find where these things are buried and fix them yet?

• 1. Re: Hacking FMS13 WebD page layout
          bigtom

Web Direct is very clunky and I have found it to be a not so useful feature. You may want to consider CWP for easier display changes. I do not have the answer but I do understand your frustration.

• 2. Re: Hacking FMS13 WebD page layout
            Yadin

I appreciate the response (and validation  ;) but CWP goes beyond the scope of our abilities at this time.  I have the time and ability to tweak some existing pages, but not develop an entire in house solution.  I wish the developers had made WebD a LOT more friendly to interface with in this regard, but for a fresh solution it looks like the worst pile of spaghetti code and nonsense structure I've ever seen.  And really all this would be moot if they just had a couple configurable options and had designed a front page that wasn't a design nightmare.

• 3. Re: Hacking FMS13 WebD page layout

Yadin:

Thank you for the post.

"I'd fix these things if I could find the files with the html"

Please review page 27 on "Using a custom homepage" in the FileMaker 13 WebDirect Guide:

FileMaker® 13 WebDirect Guide

"For IIS (Windows) through HTTP or HTTPS:

[drive]:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\HTTPServer\conf

where [drive] is the drive on which the Web Publishing Engine component of your FileMaker Server deployment resides."

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.